Scanner Tales: The Magazines

N9JIG

Sheriff
As an old guy I still remember getting monthly magazines printed on real paper every month. Some of these were special and anxiously awaited. Monitoring Times, the RCMA Scanner Journal and Popular Communications were the “Big 3” in the scanner community. There have been and are still some others but for better or worse these were the biggest by far. Of course, all three are long gone now.

My personal favorite was The Scanner Journal published by the Radio Communications Monitoring Association (RCMA). This was what RadioReference is today in a paper format. Every month there was a magazine printed and mailed to your home, chock full of frequencies and information gathered by the best volunteers in the hobby. I joined and subscribed in the early 1980’s and was able to obtain back issues for many years before that. RCMA was started in the mid 1970’s in southern California. In the mid 80’s I was invited to a meeting of the Chicago Chapter of the RCMA by a friend and was hooked instantly. I became IL-370 when I joined RCMA and often submitted info for many of the Midwest states.

The Journal that RCMA published was a small format (5x7 or 6x9 inch) but later it grew to a standard 8.5x11 inch format. When it folded in 1996 remaining memberships were transferred to Popular Communications who had purchased the mailing list. At the time I had a complete collection of RCMA Journals that I wish I still had. As far as I know there has not been an organized effort to digitize the RCMA Journal but if you know of a source, please let us know!

Here in the Chicago area we had to rename our Chicago Chapter due to instructions from RCMA in California. Apparently, they were afraid of liability issues if a remote chapter did something wrong. We renamed ourselves to the Chicago Area Radio Monitoring Association (CARMA) and for several years produced our own newsletter. I was the editor of this newsletter throughout much of its existence and still have copies of the complete set electronically and on paper. CARMA still exists with an email list, Facebook page and occasional meetings.

After the RCMA Journal, my next favorite was Monitoring Times. This was originally published in 1982 with 8 pages and lasted thru 2012. During those 30 years or so it was a great source of information about scanners, shortwave, broadcasting and other radio related topics along with some off-topic stuff humorously tossed in. Bob Grove was the editor the entire time and it was a byproduct of his Grove Enterprises business selling radios and accessories. It was always informative and if one of my friends got his copy before I did, I would often go and read it as I couldn’t wait to get it. I was lucky enough to get published there a few times including a feature article or two. I was bummed when Bob Grove retired and shut down the magazine but as soon as he did Ken Reitz and others came forward and started The Spectrum Monitor with a similar feel and quality.

When the RCMA quit operations, they sold the mailing list to Popular Communications. PopComm, as it was known, was a product of its publisher, Tom Knietel. It was part of the CQ Magazine family. Tom wrote the editorials, some of which actually made sense and wrote many of the articles and columns under his own name and several others (Alice Branigan, Shannon Hunniwell among others). Later Harold Ort took over as editor and the tone of the magazine became more geared towards general consumer products rather than the radio hobbyists. It was a far less serious publication than MT was, the “reviews” tended to be more of a shill to the advertisers, often an ad for the product would appear next to the “review”.

Tom Kneitel has other schemes going during the PopComm years. One of the most notorious was the “Registered Monitor” certificates he sold with derived “callsigns”. While meaningless they were a cash cow, and I knew several people who spent good money for a certificate to hand in their office. All-in-all though it was meant to be an entertainment thing rather than anything serious.

PopComm started in 1982, the same year as MT and lasted thru 2013 so it outlived MT by a year. Some of the content was incorporated into a web-based operation called CQ Plus, which only lasted a short while itself. CQ itself lasted a while longer, albeit sporadically, until about 2023.

I had a couple bylines in PopComm over the years and enjoyed reading it. It was more entertainment rather than an information source but fun to read.

National Communications is actually still around. Chuck Gysi still produces it, albeit in electronic form only. They ended print publishing in 2012 and last year converted to an article bases subscription format. Check them out at National Communications Magazine | Chuck Gysi | N2DUP | Substack

The Spectrum Monitor is a great publication that produces a monthly magazine in electronic (PDF) format that contains a boatload of scanning info by many of the same writes that wrote for MT in the past. I have been a subscriber of TSM since day one and read it from (virtual) cover to cover each month. They have been around since 2014, right after MT left the building. Check them out at www.thesepctrummonitor.com

A couple others were around for a while. Scanning USA lasted a few years. While light on content it made up for it in big fonts and data dumps to fill up the pages.

The Scanner Digest, published by Lou Campagna, seems to have been abandoned since 2015. This was an informative newsletter in electronic form geared mostly to the Northeast. At some point the All-Ohio Scanner Club’s newsletter was merged in the Scanner Digest, AOSC itself had a great newsletter for many years.

I am sure I am missing some others. Incidentally if you go to WorldRadioHistory: Radio Music Electronics Publications ALL FREE you can download many of the magazines I spoke of here and hundreds of other titles. This is an amazing resource for magazines having to do with many facets of the radio hobby.

While paper magazines are only a small fraction of what they once were there are still some still making a go of it. Like printed books however electronic distribution has been making huge inroads. This is true for all kinds of specialty magazines, I get “Trains” magazine as a PDF every month instead of paper. The difference now is that you need to keep an iPad in the bathroom in order to read your favorite magazine.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I was in college when I discovered Monitoring Times, a trial subscription or at least one copy showed up in my mailbox and I became hooked on this publication. At the time, there was no internet and mail order was the way to go if you didn't want to buy from Radio Shack on Lafayette Electronics- Grove Enterprises seemed to have it all together and of course, a phone call to them got you in touch with Bob who graciously answered questions and made suggestions to improves one's monitoring enjoyment. I faithfully subscribed to MT until they stopped publishing.

Over the years, I looked at Pop Com and The Spectrum Monitor- in a way- too commercial!

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
As an old guy I still remember getting monthly magazines printed on real paper every month. Some of these were special and anxiously awaited. Monitoring Times, the RCMA Scanner Journal and Popular Communications were the “Big 3” in the scanner community. There have been and are still some others but for better or worse these were the biggest by far. Of course, all three are long gone now.

My personal favorite was The Scanner Journal published by the Radio Communications Monitoring Association (RCMA). This was what RadioReference is today in a paper format. Every month there was a magazine printed and mailed to your home, chock full of frequencies and information gathered by the best volunteers in the hobby. I joined and subscribed in the early 1980’s and was able to obtain back issues for many years before that. RCMA was started in the mid 1970’s in southern California. In the mid 80’s I was invited to a meeting of the Chicago Chapter of the RCMA by a friend and was hooked instantly. I became IL-370 when I joined RCMA and often submitted info for many of the Midwest states.

The Journal that RCMA published was a small format (5x7 or 6x9 inch) but later it grew to a standard 8.5x11 inch format. When it folded in 1996 remaining memberships were transferred to Popular Communications who had purchased the mailing list. At the time I had a complete collection of RCMA Journals that I wish I still had. As far as I know there has not been an organized effort to digitize the RCMA Journal but if you know of a source, please let us know!

Here in the Chicago area we had to rename our Chicago Chapter due to instructions from RCMA in California. Apparently, they were afraid of liability issues if a remote chapter did something wrong. We renamed ourselves to the Chicago Area Radio Monitoring Association (CARMA) and for several years produced our own newsletter. I was the editor of this newsletter throughout much of its existence and still have copies of the complete set electronically and on paper. CARMA still exists with an email list, Facebook page and occasional meetings.

After the RCMA Journal, my next favorite was Monitoring Times. This was originally published in 1982 with 8 pages and lasted thru 2012. During those 30 years or so it was a great source of information about scanners, shortwave, broadcasting and other radio related topics along with some off-topic stuff humorously tossed in. Bob Grove was the editor the entire time and it was a byproduct of his Grove Enterprises business selling radios and accessories. It was always informative and if one of my friends got his copy before I did, I would often go and read it as I couldn’t wait to get it. I was lucky enough to get published there a few times including a feature article or two. I was bummed when Bob Grove retired and shut down the magazine but as soon as he did Ken Reitz and others came forward and started The Spectrum Monitor with a similar feel and quality.

When the RCMA quit operations, they sold the mailing list to Popular Communications. PopComm, as it was known, was a product of its publisher, Tom Knietel. It was part of the CQ Magazine family. Tom wrote the editorials, some of which actually made sense and wrote many of the articles and columns under his own name and several others (Alice Branigan, Shannon Hunniwell among others). Later Harold Ort took over as editor and the tone of the magazine became more geared towards general consumer products rather than the radio hobbyists. It was a far less serious publication than MT was, the “reviews” tended to be more of a shill to the advertisers, often an ad for the product would appear next to the “review”.

Tom Kneitel has other schemes going during the PopComm years. One of the most notorious was the “Registered Monitor” certificates he sold with derived “callsigns”. While meaningless they were a cash cow, and I knew several people who spent good money for a certificate to hand in their office. All-in-all though it was meant to be an entertainment thing rather than anything serious.

PopComm started in 1982, the same year as MT and lasted thru 2013 so it outlived MT by a year. Some of the content was incorporated into a web-based operation called CQ Plus, which only lasted a short while itself. CQ itself lasted a while longer, albeit sporadically, until about 2023.

I had a couple bylines in PopComm over the years and enjoyed reading it. It was more entertainment rather than an information source but fun to read.

National Communications is actually still around. Chuck Gysi still produces it, albeit in electronic form only. They ended print publishing in 2012 and last year converted to an article bases subscription format. Check them out at National Communications Magazine | Chuck Gysi | N2DUP | Substack

The Spectrum Monitor is a great publication that produces a monthly magazine in electronic (PDF) format that contains a boatload of scanning info by many of the same writes that wrote for MT in the past. I have been a subscriber of TSM since day one and read it from (virtual) cover to cover each month. They have been around since 2014, right after MT left the building. Check them out at www.thesepctrummonitor.com

A couple others were around for a while. Scanning USA lasted a few years. While light on content it made up for it in big fonts and data dumps to fill up the pages.

The Scanner Digest, published by Lou Campagna, seems to have been abandoned since 2015. This was an informative newsletter in electronic form geared mostly to the Northeast. At some point the All-Ohio Scanner Club’s newsletter was merged in the Scanner Digest, AOSC itself had a great newsletter for many years.

I am sure I am missing some others. Incidentally if you go to WorldRadioHistory: Radio Music Electronics Publications ALL FREE you can download many of the magazines I spoke of here and hundreds of other titles. This is an amazing resource for magazines having to do with many facets of the radio hobby.

While paper magazines are only a small fraction of what they once were there are still some still making a go of it. Like printed books however electronic distribution has been making huge inroads. This is true for all kinds of specialty magazines, I get “Trains” magazine as a PDF every month instead of paper. The difference now is that you need to keep an iPad in the bathroom in order to read your favorite magazine.
Definitely hit a raw nerve of a 71-year-old who started when he was around 10 years old because my dad was a ham.

Published my own local frequency guides in the early to mid-70s after a good 10 years monitoring LOL. I loved crb research and the fact that they printed on red and orange paper so it couldn't have been.. mimeographed LOL. There's a word you don't hear often.

I actually got to talk to Tom on the phone one time, he was truly, an Idol. Bob Grove, and others slowly brought us to the future.

I received the rcma journal in the mail along with so many other newsletters of the time.

This will be one of the better threads in your series.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
wasn't there a magazine that Radio Shack sold ? it was the mid 90's ?
it was called RADIO !
as I remember it was quarterly, only lasted about 2 years or so.
Gene Hughes published a frequency guide, called police call, I'm really trying to remember the year of the first one and I think I have it in the scanner graveyard in the garage.

Without going into the details it was handed around amongst popular editors and purchased by Radio Shack under the name of police call.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I Still miss MT and Pop Comm to this day ! Internet be damned...
:cry:
Yep internet be damned because we didn't have the internet, we had the magazines, they were our reviews, popular columnist, some who are still here and active on RR.

What we had, were the brick and mortar radio shops, in my area there were many of them, it wasn't unusual on a Saturday to make the rounds and hang out, that's where you got the scuttlebutt, picked up the $5 a piece crystals you ordered a week before. Got to play with the latest and greatest models of radios, there were so many brands.

A candy store for adults.

kg4ehv

Raises hand as one of those "Registered Monitors", looked good on the wall. Also still have a copy of the one with a picture of my station. I miss PopComm.

mark40

Premium Subscriber
Was a subscriber to Monitoring Times for about the last 10-12 years that it was around and always looked forward to reading it. There was a newsletter that I enjoyed the most of all, Northeast Scanning News, put out by a gem of a guy Les Mattson. He hosted a weekend with a hospitality room at the Dutch Inn in Gibbstown NJ and picnic/get together at National Park NJ. The hospitality room was great. Many came by to have their Radio Shack PRO2006 scanners "modified" to be able to receive cellular. I'm guessing it was early to mid 90s.

MiCon

Mike
Gotta wonder about the age of all of these replies LOL.

I'm 75, got into the hobby in the mid-60's in NJ. Before the regional Police Call Magazines were published, they were published by use. I.E., there was a volume for Law Enforcement, a volume for Fire, one for medical users, one for local government, one for utilities. All fifty states were covered in each volume. He also produced volumes for business users: one for low band, one for high band, and one for UHF (450~470). Eventually I bought one of each volume produced. Still had them until I moved last year.

If you could find one of the earliest volumes, it would say 'Lebanon, NJ'. That's where the guy who actually put the information together lived. It was a family operation. I remember going to his house and buying the volumes I needed.

I, too, was member of RCMA. When I moved to CA and worked in Orange County I was able to also meet the editor, who lived in Silverado Canyon. Their demise was financial. Someone was stealing the mailed-in membership checks. They were able to steal so many that RCMA couldn't meet it's financial obligations and had to fold.

And yes, Radio Shack distributed the Police Call volumes. By that time they had become regional: Northeast US, Southeast US, etc. Police Call also produced a Southern CA volume that was more specific to the area.

I just looked at one of the three remaining Police Calls that I have. 1997 Copyright Hollins Radio Data. Edited by Gene Hughes.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber

I first new Bob Grove (editor of Monitoring Times aka MT) before the magazine existed and he was then a science teacher in Jacksonville? FL. I wrote him after seeing a small book of frequencies he published which mention he once went to Kent State U. where I was then in grad school and asked him if he knew any good frequencies. After the magazine started, I wrote several articles for MT. I always considered it the best radio hobby magazine. I last talked to Bob some years ago finding he was not exactly retired but was an auctioneer (even published on that https://www.amazon.com/Antiquing-collectors-guide-Bob-Grove/dp/1791709575 and books on several other topics-see Bob Grove: books, biography, latest update ). He still sometimes shows up with a column somewhere. Tom Kneitel once offered me a column with Popular communications (PC) but I turned him down when he told me it was a magazine policy to never publish corrections.

rf_patriot200

There was always this excitement or anxiety I felt, when ever I would receive a new issue of Pop Comm right down to the smell of the pages and great photography. Ok, weird I know, but it was better than the internet in some ways. Just something about having that wealth of information available to you that most people weren't aware of ! And on some Fridays when I received a new copy of QST or CQ it just turned into a Great weekend .

FedFyrGuy

Premium Subscriber
Local to the DC Metro Area - Alan Henney's Capitol Hill Monitors is still found online, but was in print for many years in newsletter format.

ve1arn

Started getting MT just about the time they stopped the newspaper format and went to a magazine. Got PopCom from the first issue till they stopped.

One of the things that shows just how much Bob Grove was an awesome guy, was when I sent him a short note about the radio club I had started as an after school thing at our local high school. It was nothing fancy. Just some teaching interested kids about SWL'ing, ham radio and basic electronics.

He followed up with a reply giving the school a free subscription to the magazine that would be renewable with a letter telling him of what our activities had been that year. That was cool!!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
If my memory is accurate, Bearcat used to publish a magazine. I believe this was before Uniden.

TGuelker

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
World Radio History has a lot of Pop Comm issues