Scanner....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmz99

Looking to upgrade to a digital scanner... need to be able to access police & fire, plus unencrypted tactical channels. Recommendations?

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Personally I would recomend the GRE PSR-500 (handheld) or PSR-600(base/mobile. Besides that you have the Uniden BCD996T (base/mobile) or BCD396T (handheld) and the Radio Shack (GRE) Pro-96 (handheld) or Pro-2096 (base/mobile). I have one each from the GRE and Uniden series and both of the Radio Shack scanners listed. I think the GREs are the best, they take the great digital sound and reception of the Radio Shack scanners and add many of the features that the Unidens have. If you are looking for a bargin you can look at Pro-96/2096s on eBay, just be careful and read all the description on there.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
This has been a question of much discussion in the various forums. Do a search and you will find numerous posts and opinions on the merits and demerits of the various digital scanners.

One of the biggest things to consider in buying a new scanner is your scanning style. Like Aaron, I have both the 500 and 396. My scanning style leads me to prefer the 396.

The 500 has some nice bells and whistles, but they don't offset the fact I cannot listen the way I want to with the 500.

Just do some research in the various threads, determine your scanning style based on your area, rate the ratings and make your decision.

While I'm at it, welcome to radio reference. This is the best place for your scanner info on the net.

Airdorn

There's a relay race going on. RS, Uniden, and GRE were pretty neck-and-neck-and-neck for a while, but poor RS has fallen behind because of the 700Mhz issue among a few others. I guess RS was too busy selling cell phone contracts and 9V batteries to notice.

Now its just Uniden and GRE.. they keep going back and forth.. Uniden pulled ahead with the ingenious dynamic memory, but GRE has a few tricks up its sleeve. Who will win at the finish-line of widespread encryption? Only time will tell.

scannersnstuff

i can only offer my opinion with a handheld. bcd396t vs. psr-500. psr-500 win's imho.
sensitivity,audio,digital decode all great. bcd396t is kind of bulletproof on the intermod side,but not at all sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.