scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoser147

Just taking a glance at the Database I would say if you want to cover State Police and everything in your area I would go with the Radio Shack PRO 96 which is on sale for 399.00 bucks I believe or the 2096 desktop both are digital. or the uniden 396T handheld.........hoser147

seamusg

policeMonitor said:
whats the best scanner for this county?

thanks,

Policemonitor
Macomb county will be going to MPSCS by the end of the year. Right now Northern Macomb is on MPSCS and Warren is on a digital system, So any of the Uniden or GRE digital scanners will work.

MacombMonitor

policeMonitor said:
hard choice ok if you all had to pick one what would you pick?

If the 700 MHz Band, I-CALLS, and Computer Control is important, then go with the Uniden. If those things are not important, and ease of programming, and daily operation are, then go with the Radio Shack (GRE) scanners.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
policeMonitor said:
There is a saying that if you want performance, pick GRE, if you want features pick Uniden. :)

seamusg

policeMonitor said:
I agree with macombmonitor, it depends on what features you want. One advantage to the RS scanners is their price and if any of the Sterling Hgts RS stores are still open and have a PRO96 or PRO2096 it might be a real good price. I bave both a BC796 D and a PRO96.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
But remember Uniden gives you the entire package deal, no buying all the accessories like with radiohack.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
ffexpCP said:
But remember Uniden gives you the entire package deal, no buying all the accessories like with radiohack.

Like what? Most scanner users already have rechargeable batteries, amd are smart enough to NOT charge them inside a $500 scanner.

The GREs all use the same cable, so us hardcore GRE users don't need 5 of the same cable around the house.

Software? The uniden software i tried with a company 246 was a joke compaired to the easy to use software that Don Starr makes for the GRE units.

I'd say the $130 difference in price (when the RS are on sale) will but lots of accesories if it's a newbie just starting out.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Grog said:
Like what? Most scanner users already have rechargeable batteries, amd are smart enough to NOT charge them inside a $500 scanner.

I've always recharged batteries inside of the device if it is capable of it. Never had a problem. I’m not worried about it.

I have lots of rechargeable- being used in various devices. I currently have none to spare. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Grog said:
The GREs all use the same cable, so us hardcore GRE users don't need 5 of the same cable around the house.

What? You shouldn’t have any unneeded GRE cables, since you have to buy them separately. I'm not making an argument for GRE needing to include a cable with each scanner. I have one Uniden, and would love to have more cables for it. I'm sure any 'hardcore' Uniden user would find a use for additional cables. And since I only have one, the freebee with the scanner is a plus.

Grog said:
Software? The Uniden software i tried with a company 246 was a joke compared to the easy to use software that Don Starr makes for the GRE units.

I find Uniden's free software to be just as easy to use on the 396 as the $30 starrsoft program for the 96.

Grog said:
I'd say the $130 difference in price (when the RS are on sale) will but lots of accessories if it's a newbie just starting out.

Sure, if you want to wait for a sale.

Having bought both, I feel the Uniden is a better value.

Status
Not open for further replies.