Scanners that p/up Voice Inversion (Encryption)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

I know why most places use voice encryption and makes u sound like Donald Duck when u monitor on the scanner, our company usses the same thing. I am looking for a scanner that might have this feature since people tend to tell us that they can monitor and hear our frequency and whats going on.
Just curious if anyone knows what models will pick this up, Most of our radio equipement is Kenwood radios.

Thanks in advance or if you can direct me to someone to learn more on voice encryption.

Steve

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I know why most places use voice encryption and makes u sound like Donald Duck when u monitor on the scanner, our company usses the same thing. I am looking for a scanner that might have this feature since people tend to tell us that they can monitor and hear our frequency and whats going on.
Just curious if anyone knows what models will pick this up, Most of our radio equipement is Kenwood radios.

Thanks in advance or if you can direct me to someone to learn more on voice encryption.

Steve

There are NO scanners on the market, which allow you to listen to encrypted or scrambled comms. This IS illegal.
However...I believe ramsey.com still sells a single inversion scrambler/descrambler if they haven't dc'd it.

n9zas

wmbio

The Ramsey unit is still in production, on E-bay today. This unit has the serious flaw of not being able to be tuned to the correct inversion frequency of the Kenwood radios. Ramsey uses a fixed crystal to set the 3300 cps for the pilot carrier. Most of the single inversion radios marketed today can be programmed between 3000-4000 cps, so your decoded audio is still very Donald Duck sounding or will not clarify There are several scanners, Alinco comes to mind, a bit hard to find that will do the job but do not get great user ratings. Look for a used stand alone single inversion decoder, that will work well. If you can monitor the channel using a general communications receiver, punch in the channel, set the mode to USB and fine tune away...

Enjoy,
Wmbio

gewecke

Banned
Voice Inversion is NOT encryption and it can be monitored legally with the right equipment.

I SAID "single inversion scrambling" which IS illegal! to receive on a scanner. :)
Please RE-read the previous post.

n9zas

Last edited:

gewecke

Banned
The Ramsey unit is still in production, on E-bay today. This unit has the serious flaw of not being able to be tuned to the correct inversion frequency of the Kenwood radios. Ramsey uses a fixed crystal to set the 3300 cps for the pilot carrier. Most of the single inversion radios marketed today can be programmed between 3000-4000 cps, so your decoded audio is still very Donald Duck sounding or will not clarify There are several scanners, Alinco comes to mind, a bit hard to find that will do the job but do not get great user ratings. Look for a used stand alone single inversion decoder, that will work well. If you can monitor the channel using a general communications receiver, punch in the channel, set the mode to USB and fine tune away...

Enjoy,
Wmbio

Good point, OR sub the crystal from the value listed in the schematic.

n9zas

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Not to sound sarcastic but "Whatever" listening to encrypted signals is ILLEGAL there will NEVER be a scanner on the market that you will LEGALLY be able to purchase for that use. That being said, I guess you must work for some super secret company if they want to invest in scrambling and encryption. Sorry that was being a little too sarcastic but really why would a regular run of the mill company have to go to this legnth and expense for what? Law enforcement is a whole other ball of wax. That being said, I am not nor have I ever be a fan of encryption. I can understand using it for some phases or law enforcement but not all. I however can not for the life of me agree nor see a valid reason for it being used in Fire service or EMS. In EMS specifically as it is against several regulations to put identifying information about a patient over the air. The VA here in West Haven used to ask for and get the first initial of a patients last name as well as the last four of their social over the air and even that has since stopped because of legal reasons

gewecke

Banned
Not to sound sarcastic but "Whatever" listening to encrypted signals is ILLEGAL there will NEVER be a scanner on the market that you will LEGALLY be able to purchase for that use. That being said, I guess you must work for some super secret company if they want to invest in scrambling and encryption. Sorry that was being a little too sarcastic but really why would a regular run of the mill company have to go to this legnth and expense for what? Law enforcement is a whole other ball of wax. That being said, I am not nor have I ever be a fan of encryption. I can understand using it for some phases or law enforcement but not all. I however can not for the life of me agree nor see a valid reason for it being used in Fire service or EMS. In EMS specifically as it is against several regulations to put identifying information about a patient over the air. The VA here in West Haven used to ask for and get the first initial of a patients last name as well as the last four of their social over the air and even that has since stopped because of legal reasons

I agree,and understand. :) Patient confidentiality in the field is not to be compromised.

n9zas
(Emt-b)

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
There is also a freeware program still floating around on the internet from the 90s called Voice Inversion. You just plug the headphone jack of your scanner into the sound card on your computer and adjust the slider bar until the transmission is clear.

msradell

I however can not for the life of me agree nor see a valid reason for it being used in Fire service or EMS. In EMS specifically as it is against several regulations to put identifying information about a patient over the air.
Your first sentence does not agree with the second one. You say you see no reason for using encryption for EMS and then turn around and give a valid reason for using it? Here in Louisville all EMS communications are encrypted 100% of the time.

DickH

I SAID "single inversion scrambling" which IS illegal! to receive on a scanner. :)
Please RE-read the previous post.

n9zas

I was replying to HIS title, "Scanners that p/up Voice Inversion (Encryption)".

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Dick -- I'm not sure anyone other than you read his post at all...

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
Your first sentence does not agree with the second one. You say you see no reason for using encryption for EMS and then turn around and give a valid reason for using it? Here in Louisville all EMS communications are encrypted 100% of the time.

the only valid reason for encrypting EMS traffic would be if you WERE putting indentifying info over the air which you are not supposed to do. Hence if you are obeying the rules then there would be no reason for encrpting it. In Louisville do you guys put out the patients name, date of birth etc over the air? We sure don't here. If you don't then whats the need to encrypt?

RadioDaze

That being said, I guess you must work for some super secret company if they want to invest in scrambling and encryption. Sorry that was being a little too sarcastic but really why would a regular run of the mill company have to go to this legnth and expense for what?

Actually, I think it's more reasonable for a private company than for a government entity. There are a lot of trade secrets, etc. that they might want to protect, and that no one else has any right to hear.

ALINCO makes a couple radios that have inversion descramble,built into the JAPAN versions..

had one,X11--but never came across any traffic to test the feature,,
they make 3 or 4 that have that feature..pretty low priced too..

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
WOW. im amazed at all the internet cops who are quick to cite how illegal it is to listen to scrambled comms... Who cares, he didn't ask about the legality of it. Its illegal to drink and drive, but I will tell someone where to buy a car, and where to buy a 6 pack if they wanted it....

Status
Not open for further replies.