Scanning DMR (amateur DMR)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
hello all,

Until a week or so ago i only used my AnyTone 878 with a hotspot and it works fine. I am currently configuring the radio to access repeaters directly. I made some test as i went along with building my code plug. So far it as been working even though my code plug is not big. So far i have about 60 channels spread between 5 repeaters. All my channels are in a single zone. I also made a scan list (not sure if it's a DMR concept or if it's specific to the AnyTone) containing all my channels.

Today, i started to scan my scan list but i did not hear any traffic after scanning for over 2 hours. Then a realized that i was not connected to any repeater/TG so it made sense to me (i think) that i was not hearing anything. Am i right in assuming that:

1- You can't connect to a DMR repeater without being connected to a TG on that repeater
2- If my scan list contains 1 repeater and 10 channels (TG) and i connect to one of the TG in that repeater i could scan and hear traffic on all the TG's on that repeater

Many thanks
De VA2FCS

freqhopping

At least in my area the DMR repeaters are not very active other than one that has Worldwide 91 enabled full time.

Your radio has the ability to monitor both timeslots without keying up a repeater.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
There are two type of talkgroups on a DMR repeater, Dynamic and Static. Static talkgroups will come through on the repeater any time there is traffic on that talkgroup. Dynamic talkgroups, however, "disconnect" after a set amount of time...usually 10 minutes or 15 minutes or so. That is to keep busy talkgroups, or user-selected talkgroups from occupying the repeater full-time.

With dynamic talkgroups, you need to key the repeater on that talkgroup in order to receive. That presents a major problem when scanning.

2. Kinda. As long as you enable promiscuous mode (I forget what it is called on the Anytone...double monitor?), you will hear whatever comes across both timeslots, regardless of the talkgroup. You can also set it to just receive one timeslot.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
There are two type of talkgroups on a DMR repeater, Dynamic and Static. Static talkgroups will come through on the repeater any time there is traffic on that talkgroup. Dynamic talkgroups, however, "disconnect" after a set amount of time...usually 10 minutes or 15 minutes or so. That is to keep busy talkgroups, or user-selected talkgroups from occupying the repeater full-time.

With dynamic talkgroups, you need to key the repeater on that talkgroup in order to receive. That presents a major problem when scanning.

2. Kinda. As long as you enable promiscuous mode (I forget what it is called on the Anytone...double monitor?), you will hear whatever comes across both timeslots, regardless of the talkgroup. You can also set it to just receive one timeslot.

Thanks for the info. For those who are interested promiscuous mode is called Digi Moni (Digital Monitor mode) on the anytone 878. it is easy to configure from the front panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.