Scanning large systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgilbs

Hey guys,
I noticed that a lot of people seem to be monitoring large system/multiple systems. How do you do this so that you don't miss transmissions on one while its scanning another?
I am a firefighter in Iowa and our dept is on VHF and a neighboring city is on 800MHz trunked. I want to monitor their system and ours. I set the options so that the VHF system holds for 2 seconds while scanning (since it only has like 5 channels it normally would scan for like 1/4 of a second) and so the trunking system doesnt hold at all (ie, it scans it as fast as it can). However, this means that it is only scanning each system 50% of the time, and I often miss the beginnings or ends of transmissions. Is there any solution to this problem? (Maybe a faster way to scan trunked systems?)

K9GTJ

I think the answer is to have multiple scanners given the number listed in everyone's signature. Since your department is on VHF, an older scanner that can be picked up inexpensivly used might be the answer to your delima.

psol113

large systems

my freind is a reporter for a local tv station here in n,c, and they listen to C,M,P,D,
charlotte/mecklenburg police dept, they have about 195 talk group's with sub groups and they have 40 scanners at the station to monitor them!!! that incluedes there fire/rescue talk groups

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
pinellasfirefighter said:
**** i need multi scanners for pinellas county fire/rescue.lol
Yup, I use three scanners for PD & Fire for a 10 channel Mot trunking system. Each agency has 16 tg's. A 785D is dedicated to PD, a 2052 to Fire/EMS and a 2096 to both.

Status
Not open for further replies.