Scanning newb. What would be the best digital option for me?

far342

This will be my second thread here and I'm just asking for some help, as I'm still trying to wrap my head around scanning as a whole. I currently own a Uniden BC75XLT and have learned the general gist of it and have been having a lot of fun listening to frequencies. However, the main radio I want to listen to seems to be a 'digital trunked system' (according to the description of its broadcastify stream) which, from my understanding, cannot be heard from my Uniden since it is analog.

The radio I want to listen to in particular is the Albany Oregon Police Radio (and general law enforcement within the Linn County, Oregon area).
So what I'm mainly asking here is: What hand-held scanner would be a good option for me to consider purchasing to achieve this? From what I've seen, these 'digital' scanners are quite pricey and whatnot so I just wanna make sure I'd be getting something that I know I'd be able to use. I'm also hoping to be able to use something underneath the $1,000 mark.

It's not like I'm completely out of luck since APD's radio is streamed on Broadcastify. But, I'd of course love to be able to scan it directly myself and not have to rely on a third party.

Any help/info is greatly appreciated.

rf_patriot200

This will be my second thread here and I'm just asking for some help, as I'm still trying to wrap my head around scanning as a whole. I currently own a Uniden BC75XLT and have learned the general gist of it and have been having a lot of fun listening to frequencies. However, the main radio I want to listen to seems to be a 'digital trunked system' (according to the description of its broadcastify stream) which, from my understanding, cannot be heard from my Uniden since it is analog.

The radio I want to listen to in particular is the Albany Oregon Police Radio (and general law enforcement within the Linn County, Oregon area).
So what I'm mainly asking here is: What hand-held scanner would be a good option for me to consider purchasing to achieve this? From what I've seen, these 'digital' scanners are quite pricey and whatnot so I just wanna make sure I'd be getting something that I know I'd be able to use. I'm also hoping to be able to use something underneath the $1,000 mark.

It's not like I'm completely out of luck since APD's radio is streamed on Broadcastify. But, I'd of course love to be able to scan it directly myself and not have to rely on a third party.

Any help/info is greatly appreciated.
Your Budget allows for pretty much anything in the Scanner realm, since they're all below that figure. I'm a little biased, so I'd suggest the the Uniden 436, but there are Several other choices. But, Please have FUN whichever one you choose.

far342

Your Budget allows for pretty much anything in the Scanner realm, since they're all below that figure. I'm a little biased, so I'd suggest the the Uniden 436, but there are Several other choices. But, Please have FUN whichever one you choose.
You're referring to the BCD436HP, right? I've been looking at some stuff about it online and it's intrigued me quite a bit. Also, I maybe should've worded my price a bit better. I feel like $1,000 would be the most I'd be willing to go (depending on the quality). While $500+ still feels slightly pushy it's not unrealistic. And I'm not exactly sure how scanning a digital system works so I feel as though I'd have some difficulty learning how, as well as making sure that the APD radio I was previously referring to would be able to be scanned by it. I'll look more into it. Thank you for the recommendation.

And, on another note, would buying one used to be an okay consideration? Or are there any details I'd need to look out for before going that route?

rf_patriot200

You're referring to the BCD436HP, right? I've been looking at some stuff about it online and it's intrigued me quite a bit. Also, I maybe should've worded my price a bit better. I feel like $1,000 would be the most I'd be willing to go (depending on the quality). While $500+ still feels slightly pushy it's not unrealistic. And I'm not exactly sure how scanning a digital system works so I feel as though I'd have some difficulty learning how, as well as making sure that the APD radio I was previously referring to would be able to be scanned by it. I'll look more into it. Thank you for the recommendation.

And, on another note, would buying one used to be an okay consideration? Or are there any details I'd need to look out for before going that route?
Yes, but not the only one. Another option, would be to check the classified ads right here on Radio Reference at the top of your page, or qrz.com, some use Fakebook marketplace {which I don't recommend.} There's Craigslist which you should also be cautious with. there's a Used and open box section at R&L Electronics, and and Gigaparts as well. Probably a couple I forgot too.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I travel through the area all the time and monitor whatever I can. I find there's a lot of good listening on the Oregon State Radio Project system. I still have the conventional channels programmed, as per what's on RR, but hear more and more from other systems. I think you might even get Linn county from the Lane county system. If you're going to use a (hand-held) scanner, I highly recommend the SDS-100. It's really the only option these days. Yeah I know it's over $600.