Scanning OPP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheppy

Hey there. I am new to this site and was looking for assistance with scanning the OPP. I have a Bearcat 235 XLT that I use for scanning York Region Police and Fire's trunked system. I think you need a digital scanner for OPP. Does anyone have any tips or examples on what type of unit I would need for a portable scanner?
Where would be the best place to pick one of these up without breaking the bank.

Thanks in advance

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Off the top of my head:

BC785D, BC796D, BC250D, BC296D, Pro-96, Pro-2096, BCD396 & BCD996. Those are all 'previous generation' digital scanners which would be the cheapest. For a portable, your best pick would be the Pro-96 or the Uniden 396.

The current generation consists of the GRE PSR-500 & 600, Radio Shack Pro-106 & 107 and the Uniden BCD396XT and 996XT. The Radio Shack models are essentially the same as the GRE's (just different cosmetics).

We could debate for hours on which ones are better, but they each have their plusses and minuses so you would have to do a little research on your own.

Personally, I've had a Pro-96 pretty much since they came out 4 or 5 years ago and it's worked like a champ. Digital decode is great, and you can get one for a fairly decent price these days.

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
I have to agree the Pro-96 or pro-2096 are great, i have the base model pro-2096, it works great for fleetnet, you can prob pick up a pro-96 or 2096 for around 200.00 shop around for the best price, as well check the classified section here on the site, you may be able to find one thier as well :)

sheppy

Thanks for the advice guys! I will keep my eyes open for one. As far as programming goes, you can find all the OPP channels on here and how to load them into a digital unit?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yep, check the stickies at the top ofthis forum. That should give you most of what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.