scanning softwear and linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCVPI99

i have a few linux PC there alot better then windows but not sure if there are linux versions for Pro 96 and Pro 2055 can anybody help?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
There are a few Windows emulators for Linux (WINE is one), that will allow you to emulate the Windows operating system on your Linux machine. You should be able to run WIN96/WIN97 from there.

smason

I have given up on emulators cuz they dont work

Try vmware. I run Probe (DOS software for a Pro-2006) in a vm session under Linux, works great.

In fact, I run Probe under DOS, EasyStream, and Scanner Recorder under Windows, all pm the same Linux box, controlled from anywhere in the world via vnc.

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
I run linux only no windows. Emulators do work they are just not as easy as the windows counter parts. If you are having DLL issues, transfer those DLLs to the /home/USER (your name)/.wine/C/windows/system folder and set up overides for the program. You can learn more about doing that at wineHQ.

N9ZLI

Linux Scanner Software

First, full disclosure: I have not and do not intend (at this time) to set up an emulator or a vm on my laptop running Ubuntu 8.0.4. I'm not meaning to be obstinate, but on a 1.0 GHz laptop, performance becomes an issue. I have found that often the emulators and VM suites have difficulty using software that routes directly to hardware.

So, that leads to the question: is there any non-Windows-based software out there for programming scanners?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
First, full disclosure: I have not and do not intend (at this time) to set up an emulator or a vm on my laptop running Ubuntu 8.0.4. I'm not meaning to be obstinate, but on a 1.0 GHz laptop, performance becomes an issue. I have found that often the emulators and VM suites have difficulty using software that routes directly to hardware.

So, that leads to the question: is there any non-Windows-based software out there for programming scanners?

Recently I saw a boot-able WinXP installation on a USB thumb-drive. Maybe that would work?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=winxp+on+thumb+drive&aq=f&oq=

N9ZLI

Recently I saw a boot-able WinXP installation on a USB thumb-drive. Maybe that would work?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=winxp+on+thumb+drive&aq=f&oq=

That's really cool. And actually, it might work, but the BIOS on my laptop doesn't understand the concept of booting from a USB device. The only other problem would be the absence of a second USB port.

Actually, this whole thing has kind of made me start looking at programming again. I've made a few abortive efforts at learning how to program before so maybe this is the inspiration I need. I just want to be able to pull the data off my radio into a CSV file, monkey with it in a OpenOffice Calc and write it back. I may just have to find out how to do that from a command line first then build a GUI.

enine

I have an old 1GHz laptop that doesn;t boot off usb either. vmware and wine work fine on it. remember vmware is not an emulator, its just passing all the hardware calls on and acting like its just another app running, I can run windows under vmware full screen and no one can tell if its virtual or native. wine is a little slow for things but smaller apps its not a big deal, now if you wanted to run some blaoted software like msoffice it robably wouldn't work under wine on 1GHz but small apps are fine.
this works well under linux because of the efficient memory managenet, under windows your just fighting the vmm so its really slow. My little 1GHz laptop with 640M ram can run my garmin software under wine faster than my work provided dual core 2GHz laptop with 2G ram because the work laptop running windows wants to page out to keep ram free so it spends all it time paging.

N9ZLI

I fully understand that vmware and wine CAN and often DO work just fine even on slower machines. That's great. I don't WANT to run Windows on a virtual machine on my laptop. What I am looking for is a means to use my laptop (running Ubuntu) to access the data in my scanner without using a vm or an emulator. Now I realize that this is not going to be easy. But I don't think it's impossible. All I need to discover or learn is what instructions the radio understands. I'm not a programmer, but this is intriguing and I might be willing to try to learn how to do some rudimentary programming in order to learn how to make this happen.

enine

I've found that a lot of the radio programming codes are propriatry and can't be relased without paying $$$ to the maker so you either have to reverse engineer them yourself or wait for someone else to make an open source or linux based program, there are not a lot o tbe had. At the moment wine is the only solution I've run across.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Uniden codes are published - GRE codes I think are available if you ask.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It shouldn't be too difficult for someone who has already developed scanner software to re-compile it to run under Linux.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Spoken from someone who has never developed software ;)

There's no connection. TOTALLY different operations and development platforms.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Spoken from someone who has never developed software ;)

There's no connection. TOTALLY different operations and development platforms.

I'll admit I haven't done it myself, but if it's written using c++ and there aren't any MFC classes or other Windows libraries it should be possible.

If you're using Microsoft's Visual Basic, or .Net Framework, then yes you would have problems.

N9ZLI

I've searched Uniden's website and there are no API's available. If you search using terms that would make sense for what I'm trying to do (program, usb, interface) you get referred to guides on how to program your scanner and which models have USB interfaces. Sorry, rdale, but that wasn't much help.

I have found one lead that looked promising: There was a TCL script out there called BC246T.TCL at one time. The creator of it had it stored at his ComCast homepage. That now redirects to a page that has some videos about the Jehovah's Witnessses. Obviously not much about radio and almost as helpful as the aforementioned comment. So, yet another question: Does anyone have this script or know where one might find it? And by that I mean, "Does anyone have a URL where BC246T.TCL can be downloaded?"

Status
Not open for further replies.