Scanning STARCOM21 in Cook County IL

opfdguy

I was looking to upgrade my current scanner (Uniden BC125AT) my local Fire Department has plans to switch to STARCOM21 and I was wondering what type of scanner will be able to scan starcom21?

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
If you want another hand held Uniden 436HP, Uniden sds200, Uniden BCD325P2, Whistler WS1088 or Whistler TRX-1

opfdguy

does anyone know how to find STARCOM21 frequencies? idk where to find what agencies operate on what frequencies

kbk777

Premium Subscriber
does anyone know how to find STARCOM21 frequencies? idk where to find what agencies operate on what frequencies
It really depends on what you want/can listen to. I'm in far north cook county and I'm able to scan four sites (below) that are within my scanner's range. You need to look up sites closets to your area on the SC21 page in RR and you'll find the frequencies for each site you need.
Cook North / NWCD - Simulcast
Lake County - Simulcast
DuPage County - Simulcast
Cook South - Simulcast"

ILjim

10+ Years Listening
Premium Subscriber
how would the Uniden BCD436HP work? for the chicago area

I know it's been answered, but I'll bite. I have both the BCD436HP and BCD536HP. At best, they're decent for SC21 simulcast sites. At worst, they're unusable since (depending on your location) they have trouble just receiving the control channel. If you haven't already, just get an SDS100/200. You'll thank us later.

p25man123

Premium Subscriber
Used to have the BCD436HP and what I can tell you in my perspective is that the best site that you are able to get was the Cook South - Simulcast site. Cook North / NWCD - Simulcast site was fair but I was not able to get anything that I want to receive. DuPage County - Simulcast and Lake County - Simulcast sites were by far the worst as simulcast distortion really kicked in to where I was not able to receive anything. Like what everyone else has said, the SDS100 or SDS200 will solve your issues with simulcast.

IF you don't want the SDS100 or 200. My best bet would be a Unication G5 VHF (typically recommended) or with the UHF-D band model. Easily able to carry around, loud speaker, able to program however you like. The only issue is you are not able to mix trunking and conventional systems together as that is the only issue there.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
If you're planning to monitor Oak Park Fire Department (based on your screen name opfdguy), they're encrypted and can't be monitored.