Scanning Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

hodet

Hey everyone, in Toronto for a couple of days and brought my 996. OMFG!!!! How do you people scan effectively around here? :) Massive, massive amouts of stuff to follow.

What is the best method, I am trying to narrow down police and ambulance communication to the College area. What division is this here for TPS? I remember seeing a map of Toronto Police Service divisions by area but I can't find it. I tried the TPS website.

Anybody have any recommendations for good listening in Toronto? Just a wee bit different then listening in Timmins! <grin>

Thanks

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hey there.
I assume the college area is the area around the U of T or Ryerson?

If so, you are right on the boundary of different PD & EMS quadrants.

To monitor the EMS; punch in the following talkgroups:
25680 645 A Ch. 3 SW South West EMS Dispatch
25712 647 A Ch. 4 SE South East EMS Dispatch

SW covers anything south & west of Eglinton & Yonge
SE covers everything south & east of Eg & Yonge.

If you hear EMS cars with prefixes beginning with 3 or 7 you are listening to SW calls,
SE calls begin with 4 & 8.
To listen to EMS units being co-ordinated (i.e. told where to go) punch in 25840.

There is a station list & coverage area that I made years ago here:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1782

Now for Police:
Anything west of Spadina & South of (roughly) Davenport is covered by 14 division on t/g 4160.
East of Spadina, monitor 52 Division 4752.
51 (East Downtown, Cabbagetown) & 53 Division (Midtown, as far north as Lawrence & not west of Bathurst Spadina) are generally patched on either 4736 or 4864.

Due to the high volume of people in the city good luck st aying on top of things.
When I monitor TPS I made separate systems for each FDP PD & EMS.
If you are gonna limit youre monitoring to the core you might want to make it as one system and put the PD & ems on separate quick keys.

Oh ya, the south tower (ist canadian place) is your best bet.
Beware, anyone here will tell you, TPS is EXTREMELY busy and hard (human misery) to monitor.
Eric

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
It's almost too bad you aren't in Toronto for longer, because once you're used to it, Toronto isn't too bad to listen to. But, if you don't want to miss stuff you simply need multiple radios to hear it all.

I was in NYC last summer, and brought my 246T along with me... now, that was hell!

hodet

yorkphotog said:
It's almost too bad you aren't in Toronto for longer, because once you're used to it, Toronto isn't too bad to listen to. But, if you don't want to miss stuff you simply need multiple radios to hear it all.

I was in NYC last summer, and brought my 246T along with me... now, that was hell!

I come back fairly often for work. Now that I have tamed it somewhat, it makes for excellent scanning and sure gives me something to do when I am here.

Status
Not open for further replies.