Scantenna vs Discone for long distance 800s

Status
Not open for further replies.

tilleyhat

Hi all, for a long distance, 25 miles or more, is a discone (any brand name) better than Scantenna for a decent and audible reception of 800s P25 trunking system?
- I am 40 miles far of the 800s P25 tour what i want to listen to. i presently use scantenna. the output audio is poor.
thanks

Dubbin

Feed Provider
tilleyhat said:
Hi all, for a long distance, 25 miles or more, is a discone (any brand name) better than Scantenna for a decent and audible reception of 800s P25 trunking system?
- I am 40 miles far of the 800s P25 tour what i want to listen to. i presently use scantenna. the output audio is poor.
thanks

No, a discone is not going to do you any good at that distance. Your only option would be a yagi and that still might not do the job for you.

N1BHH

Audio has nothing to do with the signal, unless the audio is already low.

The Scantenna will do better than the discone because it looks upwards, whereas the Scantenna is focused at the horizon, more donut shaped. Unless you live in a bowl, the Scantenna will theoretically work better at signals out to the horizon.

Last edited:

tilleyhat

Dubbin said:
No, a discone is not going to do you any good at that distance. Your only option would be a yagi and that still might not do the job for you.
- so, i'll "enhance" my system by only changing the coax to RG-11 (or lmr-400) as per your suggestion in the other thread? :)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I quite agree with Dubbin; you'd be far better off with a 800 mhz beam at that distance. That depends on factors such as height above ground and any obstacles such as trees, mountains, ect. (we'd need to know where you are and what system you are trying to hear - city/state will do nicely) Feeding it with a good quality coax is a must - loss at these freqs can cause noise, weak signals, and more.

73 Mike

prcguy

You should clarify that with a Discone looks upward at the higher end of its useable range, otherwise a Discone looks at the horizon just fine at lower frequencies. I'm in LA, CA on the side of a hill and can easily hear San Diego 800 and trunking over 100mi away with a Discone. Height is more important than the antenna at 800.
prcguy
N1BHH said:
Audio has nothing to do with the signal, unless the audio is already low.

The Scantenna will do better than the discone because it looks upwards, whereas the Scantenna is focused at the horizon, more donut shaped. Unless you live in a bowl, the Scantenna will theoretically work better at signals out to the horizon.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
tilleyhat said:
- so, i'll "enhance" my system by only changing the coax to RG-11 (or lmr-400) as per your suggestion in the other thread? :)

That is correct.

tilleyhat

- What do you think about the balun/transformer 300 to 75 ohm of the scantenna? Is there the weak point (i.e signal loss) in the design itself of this antenna?
- most of discone (if not all) is terminated with SO-239 which is better than balun/transformer.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
tilleyhat said:
- What do you think about the balun/transformer 300 to 75 ohm of the scantenna? Is there the weak point (i.e signal loss) in the design itself of this antenna?
- most of discone (if not all) is terminated with SO-239 which is better than balun/transformer.

I never gave it any thought since I never had any issues with it.

Airdorn

I bet an 800Mhz mag mount on the roof (maybe sitting atop a metal vent up there) would pick the system up very well.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
Airdorn said:
I bet an 800Mhz mag mount on the roof (maybe sitting atop a metal vent up there) would pick the system up very well.

At 40 miles, not a chance.

tilleyhat

Airdorn said:
- yes, i've tried. i put my mag mount maxrad8053 on my house's roof. But, the result is not better than scantenna :)

prcguy

That particular site has got some bogus info and look at the orientation of thier discone example. If you look up any radiation pattern on commercial discones you will find they are low angle to the horizon from the lowest freq to about halfway through the useable range then the pattern goes down a bit then gets complicated with lots of lobes. Check out these patterns and there are many more to be found with a Google search.
http://www.benelec.com.au/pdf/02590_discone.pdf
http://www.rfcomm.harris.com/products/antennas-accessories/rf-9072.pdf
prcguy
N1BHH said:
Look at this: http://www.tscm.com/radiapat.pdf this will clarify it for you.

SAR923

Yes, a yagi is really omnidirectional. You would need to point it directly toward the tower you want to pick up. Given the distance you want to receive, you need to be right within a couple of degrees of the direction.

tactcom42

Premium Subscriber
I built an 11 element yagi for the system in charlotte nc about 50 to 60 miles away.my discone couldnt even hear this system on a 30 ft tower.but with the yagi I could decode the control channel just fine with unitrunker.On the same tower but up about 20 ft.

GO WITH A YAGI.HOME BREW IS FUN!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
SAR2401 said:
Yes, a yagi is really omnidirectional. You would need to point it directly toward the tower you want to pick up. Given the distance you want to receive, you need to be right within a couple of degrees of the direction.

A typo, perhaps? The Scantenna is omnidirectional, more or less. A yagi is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.