Scantenna vs Discone for long distance 800s

Status
Not open for further replies.

af5rn

Damn to bad they don't make them with more outputs
Outputs? Do you mean outputs to radios, or to antennae? If you just want to run more radios off of an antenna, that's what multicoupler is for. They make them with up to 8 outputs.

I am going to try one of the above combiners to run two antennae (one 800 and one uhf/vhf) to a multicoupler, and then to 6 scanners. If' you're talking about running multiple common antennae to multiple scanners, then you'll need more than one device.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
Outputs? Do you mean outputs to radios, or to antennae? If you just want to run more radios off of an antenna, that's what multicoupler is for. They make them with up to 8 outputs.

I am going to try one of the above combiners to run two antennae (one 800 and one uhf/vhf) to a multicoupler, and then to 6 scanners. If' you're talking about running multiple common antennae to multiple scanners, then you'll need more than one device.

Let me know how you like that combo. I am considering doing the same. Going to have to get some adapters though.. Darn ST2 is 75ohm from 300ohm bauln, the 800 Yagi is 50 ohm N-Type. Ideally, I'd like to combine them up in the attic, use my LMR400 with N-Type connector to come down to my office then multicouple from there to my various scanners (3 or 4 at this point).

tilleyhat

Can i use a "common" splitter/combiner 5-2400 mhz from radioshack to tie scantenna and wilson yagi 301111? thanks.

af5rn

- could you more clearer? 800s band and the rest lower freq bands (150, 400, 650 ...) are different or common? "common" means "same"? thanks.
Each is a different band, and therefore not common.

You can combine 800 with any of the other bands noted and not really have a problem. But if you try and combine 800 with more 800 (or 400 with 400, or 150 with 150, etc...), you get problems. Think of it in the biological sense. Men + women = good. Men + men = bad.

tilleyhat

Each is a different band, and therefore not common. You can combine 800 with any of the other bands noted and not really have a problem. But if you try and combine 800 with more 800 (or 400 with 400, or 150 with 150, etc...), you get problems...
- because the scantenna also covers "theorically" 800s band, thus I cannot combine it with my 800s yagi via a "common splitter" ?

af5rn

- because the scantenna also covers "theorically" 800s band, thus I cannot combine it with my 800s yagi via a "common splitter" ?
Your results may vary, but the conventional wisdom is that it is a bad combination that potentially presents problems. I tried it with UHF years ago and it was a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.