SCID - Sub Category ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
Is there any way to "link" to the subcategory ID in a page on regular database pages?

For example, all the Illinois State Police are on one (statewide) page.
There are sub-catagories for each district.

In a text box at the top of each specific county in the state, I state the District # that that county is in and a simple link to the Illinois State Police Page so people can know what district they are in and find the frequencies quicker.

It would be nice if the link would go right to the correct district.

Or is there some simple HTML that would work for this?

Thanks

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
tweatherford said:
Is there any way to "link" to the subcategory ID in a page on regular database pages?
No, there isn't. If each was a category instead of a subcategory I think you could do it. ...

Uhh, did you mean for this to be in this forum? Or did you think you were somewhere else? :wink:

ericcarlson

Database Admin
Code:
http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&ctid=YYY#scid-XXX
where XXX is the scid and YYY is the ctid; state agencies should work similarly. However, I would refrain from hard coding links all over the place like you suggest -- if the state page gets re-org'd then all the links will break... among other scenarios. Hard coding links should generally be avoided. For example, if Lindsay converted the site from PHP to JSP then all the links would break. Are you really adding that much value by linking every county back to the state police page? You're creating a major maintenance problem. One can just go to the state police page and figure it out if you specify the counties for each district.

-Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.