BCD436HP/BCD536HP: SD Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasMcKean

While changing the batteries in my 436 just now, the SD card came out and so did the cover. It appears nigh upon impossible to get this back on again. It looks like this 436 is history.

Thanks a whole hell of a lot for your damn piece of crap design, Uniden. Seriously. This is inexcusable. Nothing wrong with this scanner except the *******s who designed it.

If I sound angry, it is because I am. For what we pay for these things,we deserve better than this. I may be a whistler man from now on.

ThomasMcKean

That's ridiculous. For what we pay for these, we deserve better than "it takes time and a lot of patience." This should not even be a problem. It could have easily been better designed. I know the Uniden engineers are high fiving and getting a good chuckle out of this, well let them. I will switch brands. And seriously I was considering getting a 100 and a 200, but now I think maybe not. I don't want to go through this again. I tried for over an hour and gave up. I am ready to toss this scanner and forget about it. Nice as it is, I am not sure it worth this aggravation. Uniden should have known better. And I know I am not the the only one angry at them about this.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
The SDS100 also has the same SD card mounting system. Not the best choice and one of the drawbacks to these portable scanners. But if you think Uniden is about to apologize you can forget it. They don’t say squat about anything! And since the passing of Paul Opitz (Upman) I don’t believe there’s been a peep out of them concerning anything where the BCDx36HP’s or SDS models are concerned. It’s a hell of a way to run a railroad!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's a little tricky, but doable. But instead of throwing it away, send it to me. I'll even pay you for shipping... :D

ThomasMcKean

Yeah I figured someone who thought he was ever so cute would tell me to aend it to him.

NO.

It still sits on the shelf. And it will prolly stay there until I get tired of it and toss it.

Oh, and for anyone else who thinks he is ever so cute and asks me to send it...

NO.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
I would buy it if it was put up for sale in the Classified Section but I will not give a working price for it as I do not know the condition of the SD Card Holder and Lock. I am not trying to be disrespectful but the price I would give depends on what it would cost me if I had to replace any parts.

ThomasMcKean

Apparently you did not see my response to mr "send it to me, I'll even pay for shipping!"

It is not for sale.

Maybe I will sledge hammer the damn thing. That might make me feel better.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sir I did see your post and I was and am very serious sorry you feel this way. If it were me I would cut my loss and be done not lose my entire investment. If you change your mind I will watch.

ThomasMcKean

I can see where you are coming from, but yes I am cutting my losses. I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night if I sold this to someone else. I would not wish this aggravation on anyone. And I most certainly do not want to be the source of it!

jimbrogers

Premium Subscriber
Not going to make any friends here.
Life is too short.
Sledge it, get over it and move on.
You got people offering your money for it.
That is a down payment towards a new one.
Uniden served me well, got two SDS200, one SDS100, BCD536HP and HP2.

Last edited:

ThomasMcKean

It served me well, too. Until this. I am just not understanding why they did this. They could have done the SD card any number of ways, why did they do this? The only reason I can think of is so they could get their jollies by hearing about the users having problems with it. It had to be deliberate. It isn't like they couldn't have known.

I came on here looking for an answer for why it was designed this way. Maybe i am missing something, but I really doubt it. I was also hoping someone would say, "Oh. It's eaay. There's a trick to it. Takes two seconds. What you do is this."

No such luck.

And now with the untimely demise of Upman (who I thought was a decent guy), it looks like I won't be getting an answer from Uniden. And who knows, maybe they even actually have one.

All I know is after well over an hour of trying, I got nowhere. There is no excuse for making something that should be easy being this difficult. And since I paid, well, the same as the rest of you did for this gizmo, I feel I paid enough for an explanation.

But yeah, I guess really I don't expect to get one. There is some comfort in knowing I am not the only one who has had this problem. But that in itself just makes me more angry. It isn't right to treat your customers this way. I am feeling seriously cheated by Uniden.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Thomas I understand you feelings but as you said UPMan was the only one that could answer this the said part is WHISTLER has made no info public other than they stopped trying to make a simulcast scanner.

ThomasMcKean

Might be time to try a new hobby. Before this I was doing 3D photography. But they aren't making 3D TV sets anymore. Maybe I can find something else to occupy my time. If Uniden is doing this, and Whistler isn't telling anybody anything, it may be time to leave scsnning behind.

jimbrogers

Premium Subscriber
Thomas, Sorry, I might have crossed the line in my comment.
I would provide some feedback to manufacturer even though they don't want to hear it.
I work at a company that manufactures a product that for years people have given us feedback on how to improve our delivery and we just did not get it.
Finally someone got it and bingo success.
I have not had an issue with my mine and very happy.
I always worry that someday, encryption comes along and I got to find another hobby, like getting a ham license which my dad had.
But just as I will say something here, the karma will catch me and my card will......

ThomasMcKean

I have no doubt that many people have already supplied the exact same feedback to Uniden. As many people as this design flaw has pissed off (I am far from the only one, even just here on RR), there is no way they can't know about it. And their response after receiving said feedback it was to make the SDS100 the exact same way. So go figure.

Encryption is a concern for everyone who owns a scanner. I understand some things being encrypted, say like the SWAT teams around here, but I also feel law enforcement has a duty to accountability. That's not as easy when everything is encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.