SDR as ghost box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

afalwell

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if it was possible to use SDR as a "ghost box". I personally don't put much stock in them being a connection to the spirit world or whatnot, but I think it would make for a fun project or program. Basically what they do is scan about 15 FM station radio bands per second or something. Is this possible, been thought of or done before? I have seen devices that do this selling for 100 dollars or more on the internet (really!). Any thoughts welcome.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if it was possible to use SDR as a "ghost box". I personally don't put much stock in them being a connection to the spirit world or whatnot, but I think it would make for a fun project or program. Basically what they do is scan about 15 FM station radio bands per second or something. Is this possible, been thought of or done before? I have seen devices that do this selling for 100 dollars or more on the internet (really!). Any thoughts welcome.

I would say no, because those frequencies are to low for it to receive (somewhere in the order of 20Hz).

Yes

Commercially available spirit boxes only scan am and fm frequencies. Some hacks can scan am + fm + sw the cheapest of the Chinese SDR dongles can scan all these frequencies plus a hell of a lot more. So an SDR would make a Great Spirit box, someone just has to write the software to make it happen. I’m thinking about it writing one. Although I suck with GUI’s, so if I did write one it would probably be with Microsoft visual c++.

Status
Not open for further replies.