SDR# can now run on Linux and OSX with relative ease (no VM required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

br0adband

Well, if I didn't do it myself I would probably believe it but think it's somewhat of a waste considering it's a Windows application but, as luck would have it now that Mono is available for .NET 4.6 projects it is possible to run SDR# not only on Linux but also on OSX. While I don't happen to have a Mac at this point, I can and do have Linux Mint installed primarily for having access to GNURadio and OP25 for P25 Phase I and II decoding duties, and also Gqrx for basic monitoring duties (extremely basic but it's functional and it works well actually).

When I read an article on the front page of RTL-SDR.com the other day, I noted that the content (which was about how SDR# has moved to using .NET 4.6) also mentioned the tidbit about Mono and running SDR# on Linux and I figured "Ok, let's see if this actually works to any sufficient degree."

I started clean (because I had a new hard drive that just came in this morning) and installed Linux Mint 17.2 MATE edition, then updated it fully, made sure the build-essentials were updated, used pybombs to install GNURadio/OP25/Gqrx and made the necessary additions for the udevrules and whatnot. Then I followed the instructions from the actual page . One caveat: just because rtlsdr is installed with pybombs as part of that process the driver doesn't appear to work with SDR#, at least not for me, so I did follow the instructions for the cmake version and used that which did also have an error but it was related to the device being recognized but busy so I decided to reboot (I don't know all the ins and outs of Linux in terms of removing a kernel module or whatever process could have resolved the issue without a reboot, it was just easier in this respect for me).

And that "fixed" the issue. I then fired up SDR# and set the necessary items for sampling rate, gain, stepping size, mode, etc and boom, it works, and here's a screenshot of it in action:

Now at this point some things of note:

- resizing the window in any respect can wreck the way it's displayed, it ain't perfect so be aware. I found out that if I start it, resize the window to my liking (which wrecks some of the visual aspects in various ways), then restart it when it comes back up it'll be what I wanted without the visual issues. I'm sure this is an issue with using Mono in some respect, perhaps in time things will improve

- as you can see on some of the drop-down menu items like Squelch and Order that the actual setting value being displayed is either cut off to some degree or not even visible at all, it took me a minute to figure it out so I set things basically by deleting everything inside the entry box - I pressed the right arrow key and held it down to get to the far right position then used the Delete key for a few seconds, then I just blindly typed the amount I wanted and that was that. Again, a visual interface issue that might get better in time

- the whole interface has a lag of about .75 seconds to most anything I do, especially the tuning but now that I know this is happening I can work with it. It could be just because of my particular setup, I can't say, I don't own the most powerful laptop in the world so who knows, this i5 of mine gets the job done ;)

- the waterfall, oh boy, the waterfall. I personally prefer to see nothing but signals so it's somewhat frustrating having to stare at the "wall of yellow" scrolling by but no matter what I do the settings currently just don't allow me to adjust things to a point where it's the same as it is (or can be) on Windows. Not sure if this can be resolved, it probably can but because this is such a new thing (this isn't like trying to use Wine or Crossover or something to get a Windows app running) I certainly hope at some point the Linux situation will allow me to run SDR# pretty much exactly the same as I do on Windows

- audio is fine, no problems noted, audio recording works great as well with the default audio recorder in SDR#

And yes, I'm aware that in the 800 MHz range the stepping size is 12.5 kHz but in the screenshot I have it set for 5 - I had just jumped to that frequency from monitoring the VHF airband when I snapped the screenshot but luckily that frequency was a proper multipled of 12.5 kHz anyway. :D

But it most definitely works. I haven't installed all the plugins I typically use with SDR# but I have no reason to think they won't work exactly as expected. It's pretty cool to be able to use SDR# along with all the GNURadio related tools llke OP25 and Gqrx now on the same OS and not have to resort to dual booting. It's pretty obvious that for a variety of reasons running those Linux-based tools inside a virtual machine has not been successful for anyone so far.

This is a step in the right direction, in my opinion, and a very cool thing overall. There are instructions also for getting SDR# functional on OSX, I may have to attempt that at some point when I get my hands on a Mac and see how it works out.

Dygear

Thank god for Mono! Very cool, will give this a shot on OSX El Capitan once Apple FINALLY releases it later today.

br0adband

Yeah, it's pretty cool to be able to do that, I don't actually use it much since I stay in Windows probably 99% of the time but I did get it working as designed just for the experience and knowing how to get it functional. It ain't pretty, of course, but it does actually work.

I see screenshots from people using Gqrx on Macs - I know Michael Ossman (creator of HackRF) tends to use Macs from what I can tell, and obviously GNURadio as well so it's cool to see that it's possible to do things on the 3 primary OS platforms nowadays.

Always something interesting to work with. :D

frazpo

Great

I must have been reading the same article in reference to SDR#. I have been running Mint and loving it.
Works great with Wine and DSD+. Was thinking about loading it myself but unsure if this older despktop will handle it. Appreciate you posting your experiment and outcome. Helps us who are on the fence on giving it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.