SDRTrunk SDRTrunk freezing

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I have been using SDRTrunk for years on Windows 10 and have loved every minute of it. Recently I purchased an Intel NUC mini PC to use in a remote location to receive a system that I can't receive at my home. The specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel Celeron N5105
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
Storage:. 256 GB NVME M.2
Windows 11 Pro
SDRTrunk v0.5.2

Not the highest powered CPU but it is a quad core and seemed to run SDRTrunk without an issue for the past 2 weeks. Starting yesterday I have has a strange problem with SDRTrunk randomly ceasing to decode the P25 trunk system. The waterfall of frequencies still appears and flows, but if I try to stop or restart the channel the whole program locks up. I took a screenshot but the command line doesn't display any errors.

The only other thing I can think of is that in my device manager, I am getting an error for the Bulk In, interface. The error was recorded and is attached to this post.

I have tried rebooting the NUC several times and changing the USB port the Nooelec dongle was plugged into with no avail. I also tried reinstalling the driver with zadig with no results. I would appreciate any assistance with this problem.

Mike

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 38

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
You could turn off waterfall display to cut down on cpu demand.

I had trouble with 0.5.2 having tuners throw errors so I put 0.5.1 back.

Do you have it set for polyphase or heterodyne (I think I am recanting those two options correctly). I believe polyphase had higher cpu demands.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the reply. I turned off waterfall as you suggested. Where could I find the two options you are referring to? I did not see them in settings.

The strange thing here is that I am not receiving any errors. It just randomly stops working.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately the program is still freezing. It generally seems to occur after getting sync bit loss. My signal isn't exceptional but I don't understand why it would cause the application to freeze up. See the attached screenshot of SDRTrunk after freezing up. Please note I have remote connected to the PC running SDRTrunk.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230329-020017.png
    Screenshot_20230329-020017.png
    77.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much for responding. I'm glad to hear that it is a known issue and that a fix will be coming. In the interim would you recommend rolling back to a particular older version?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
One of your pics reflects USB, bulk in interface. I believe you may want to run Zadig and install the correct driver for the dongle.

Dongle should show under Universal Serial Bus Devices, not under Other Devices.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
Trouble is I did run Zadig and I reinstalled the driver which did not help the issue. I am not sure if this is what is causing the issue but it certainly shouldn't be happening. I reinstalled the driver for bulk in interface 0

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I reinstalled the driver for bulk in interface 0
Almost positive thats the wrong driver.

R8000

Very Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
I had a similar issue with Win 10 locking itself after X mins the screensaver would activate. SDRTrunk would freeze and needing a reboot. Turning off the lock when screensaver activated fixed it.
Also, if I used remote desktop, the PC would lock when I would disconnect, and make SDRTrunk lock up. Solution was to just reboot the SDR PC to disconnect remote desktop. The auto start would do it's thing and put SDRTrunk back to normal when the SDR PC booted back up :)
Maybe this is what you are experiencing.

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
Almost positive thats the wrong driver.

Thank you! I was able to reinstall the driver as a composite device and no longer have the error in my device manager. I now have a new issue, in that SDRTrunk cannot lock on to the control channel. I have never had this issue before as it was working fine yesterday with the exception of the freezing issue. Does anyone have any recommendations on what could be causing this?
I had a similar issue with Win 10 locking itself after X mins the screensaver would activate. SDRTrunk would freeze and needing a reboot. Turning off the lock when screensaver activated fixed it.
Also, if I used remote desktop, the PC would lock when I would disconnect, and make SDRTrunk lock up. Solution was to just reboot the SDR PC to disconnect remote desktop. The auto start would do it's thing and put SDRTrunk back to normal when the SDR PC booted back up :)
Maybe this is what you are experiencing.
My screensaver is disabled as this is a headless set up (no monitor is connected) and I use VNC viewer to connect to the PC remotely which doesn't lock the PC after I disconnect. Thank you for responding though

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 16

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Make sure to disable any power saving features in your remote NUC's Windows configuration, especially for USB devices. Also Sync loss is usually related to signal quality. Note that your spectrum display indicates a challenging signal environment (not sure if the spectrum display is accurately depicting the actual conditions.)

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
Good call, I will disable power saving features that I saw in the advanced power options earlier this morning. That may also help with the freezing issue.

As for the spectrum display, I have no idea what is going on. The signal had always been weaker then I expected, even with a high gain 700/800 mhz antenna, but as of a few hours ago it was working albeit with the random freezing issue. But now the tuner seems to be completely off and I have no idea as to what could have caused it to do so. The only thing I have done is reinstall the driver as a composite device to remove the device manager error.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Can you post a screenshot of your tuners tab? Dont start the dongle, just set the cc in the tuners tab and post.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Installing the RTL type SDR dongle on the composite device so it appears as a USB device is the proper method. However, I'm not sure if that would affect any previously accomplished Vector calibrations. I'm leaning toward resetting those calibrations.

DevMgr - Proper location.png

Mikesuper26

Premium Subscriber
I reset the vector calibrations but unfortunately my tuner still cannot lock on to the control channel and the spectrum still looks like a mess. I keyed in what I believe the control channel to be (there are multiple possibilities) and have attached the screenshot. As a side note, I noticed that the dongle stopped trying to find the control channel after I started playing the channel. I tried to stop and play it again, and SDRTrunk froze up again. Very strange.

This is the system I am trying to monitor. It is the first site, Metro-25 simulcast.

Attachments

• error1.jpg
    error1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 14

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Have you reset the dongle since reinstalling the driver? Something does not look right with that spectrum. I have my gain set to 327 also and the noise floor is pretty much where it should be.