SDRtrunk help

FREEKIWI

I have followed a guy on youtube to install sdrtrunk software. started programme but get message saying No reciever found. using windows 10. Any help would be great.

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
what type of SDR are you using? if you are using a dongle type, you will need two of them to get started out with.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have followed a guy on youtube to install sdrtrunk software. started programme but get message saying No reciever found. using windows 10. Any help would be great.

This is not really a General Scanning Question, you would probably get better responses posting it in the Voice/Control Channel Decoding Software forum.

Just click on report in the bottom left corner and ask for it to be moved. Please don't start a new thread, as double posting is discouraged.

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber
you will need two. One will monitor the control channel and the other will fetch the talk frequency it's looking for.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
You also need to make sure that you have installed the SDR(s) properly, replacing the standard Windows drivers with those supplied with Zadig.

FREEKIWI

You also need to make sure that you have installed the SDR(s) properly, replacing the standard Windows drivers with those supplied with Zadig.
I already had sdrsharp installed and used zadig. Its working fine for that programme.
Thanks for response

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I already had sdrsharp installed and used zadig. Its working fine for that programme.
Thanks for response
If the winusb drivers are installed on a Bulk-in interface, the SDR may not work for every program. The driver should be installed on the composite device.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
what type of SDR are you using? if you are using a dongle type, you will need two of them to get started out with.
I have a RTL2832U. guess I may have to get another
you will need two. One will monitor the control channel and the other will fetch the talk frequency it's looking for.

Since the OP stated sdrt is not seeing the sdr dongle, but sdr# is, that should be a driver issue. The advice from @maus92 should clear that up.

The OP also has not stated what system he is trying to monitor, so telling him he needs 2 dongles is a bit premature especially since the problem he is having seems driver related. He may need more than one, or he might do fine with just one.

The number of dongles required is based on the spread of the site he is trying to receive. I monitor a trunked system that spans 2.4375mhz and use a single nooelec dongle (running @ 2.56) and have it recording up to 10 talk groups simultaneously with no problem.

Until the OP states what he is trying to monitor, the number of dongles needed is really unknown.

I also monitor two other systems in sdrt, one being 4.075mhz and the other being 3.85mhz and they are both being handled by one airspy mini running @ 6.00mhz since the freqs on the smaller are actually inside the lower and upper of the larger system. So in the end, I am using 2 dongles for 3 systems.

If he was able to get the program running, locked on a control channel and was missing calls, and seeing in the event pane that tuner was unavailable, that would lean towards needing another dongle to cover bandwidth. But my take is that sdrt is not even seeing the dongle.

FREEKIWI

OK. so I havent got any particular frequencies to monitor as I am learning on the fly. As most do! So how do I get rtl to run on this programme. People seem to assume that everyone understands computers and programmes. I dont. That is how I learn. By doing, As most of you guys.

FREEKIWI

If the winusb drivers are installed on a Bulk-in interface, the SDR may not work for every program. The driver should be installed on the composite device.
How? Sorry its all new to me. 50yrs old and have FA tech experience

KE0SKN

KE0SKN - Member
Premium Subscriber

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Just checked my installation of SDRTrunk along with drivers from Zadig. The driver that is set for my RTL stick is the WinUSB driver set. I am able to open sdrTrunk and run it just fine. I think if I installed the other drivers, libusb, it doesn't see the rtl stick. I could be wrong though as I haven't changed things in years on my system as it works.

Edit: I just switched to try it, libusb-win32 (v1.2.6.0), and it opened, found the RTL stick. Best way to see when you open sdrTrunk is watch the commands that scroll through the cmd window. You will see in there if it found it.

rjdj2000

Gone Cuckoo
Feed Provider
Also, if you can't catch it all scrolling past and the main GUI window opens above it, just click on the CMD window in taskbar and it will bring it back to the front. Then you can scroll back to see if it actually found the RTL. Somewhere I saw how to setup Zadig with these correctly as I know you have to click on the Options tab then make sure List All Devices is checked. You then apply the drivers to the RTL but only to the ones ending in like (0) I believe. I think Unitrunker takes the WinUSB drivers for some reason so that is why I had my setup with the WinUSB drivers but sdrTrunk worked also.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Also, if you can't catch it all scrolling past and the main GUI window opens above it, just click on the CMD window in taskbar and it will bring it back to the front. Then you can scroll back to see if it actually found the RTL. Somewhere I saw how to setup Zadig with these correctly as I know you have to click on the Options tab then make sure List All Devices is checked. You then apply the drivers to the RTL but only to the ones ending in like (0) I believe. I think Unitrunker takes the WinUSB drivers for some reason so that is why I had my setup with the WinUSB drivers but sdrTrunk worked also.
NOT to the ones ending in zero - this *may* work with some programs, but not all. You should apply the driver to the composite device. The composite device is RTL2838UHDIR as seen below:

1675101238432.png