sds-100 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

baloumax

Premium Subscriber
something weird on my sds-100
its stopping on local channels but only picking static ex 154.770 was working fine last week did ad a dmr upgrade
its working fine on ambulance channels 50903 and 50904
my other scanners uniden bc75xlt and bearcat bcn355 are doing just fine
any ideas
nothing happened to it always on counter either at shop and house.

tvengr

Well Known Member
What is your location (city, county, state) and which agencies and systems are you trying to monitor? We can't help without that basic information. Can you export a hpe file of your favorites list and attach it so that we can check it for problems?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
was the squelch turned down to 0 or 1 by chance? that will cause static on local channels but trunking to still work

baloumax

Premium Subscriber
edmundston nb canada
im having problems with old frequencies that work fine on my other scanners and worked fine last week on my sds100
freq 154.770
all thos freq work fine on my 3 other scanners sds stops on them but just static can be heard did a reset options in case was my error
its not even picking 162.4000 witch is weather just static
im picking up local ambulance witch is 50903 just fine

Ubbe

Those ambulances 50903 and 50904 are those on a trunked system and what frequency are that system using?

Can you program your display to show the Noise level, I belive it will show in detailed mode. What does the RSSI level say when you hear static on the channels? If there's a new strong transmitter in VHF it will show high RSSI values like -45dBm but with bad Noise like 500 or higher and you will hear mostly static or distorsion. Then try to change the filter to the opposite type for the system or department where you have these frequencies programmed. If you now have it set to Normal then change to Invert to see if that helps.

/Ubbe

baloumax

Premium Subscriber
i tried the antenna off of my analog scanner still does the same so i think that rules the antenna out
scanner has firmware version
main 1.05.01
sub 1.01.05

im reading a lot of sentinel program to upgrade it
where and how do i get that done all new explain it like im a 2y old lol
or is there a setting or filter that might need to be on
i did hear local police channel this morning they talked then just static chirp never came back

baloumax

Premium Subscriber
i did do in settings
reset user settings
clear user data
just in case i did something wrong
is there another reset i can do

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When squelch is open, do you get a RSSI indication, or signal bars?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If so, you won't get any signal bars when receiving a transmission, and RSSI will always show "---", rather than a value like "-79dBm".

Ubbe

im reading a lot of sentinel program to upgrade it
where and how do i get that done
Connect the scanner to your PC with the USB cable. Scanner will ask if you want to use mass storage or serial mode. Choose mass storage. Then in Sentinel go to Update and choose Update Firmware.

/Ubbe

baloumax

Premium Subscriber
Played around with it
I dont get a signal but if i pry at the bottom of the antenna i get a signal and all analog comes in fine
Very disspointed that a week old scanner thats worth 1000$ has a failure
I put it on weather channel that vomes in vlear on my 2 other scanners no signal i pry back on bottom of antenna weather comes in loud and clear

Ubbe

I dont get a signal but if i pry at the bottom of the antenna i get a signal and all analog comes in fine
Keep in mind that a standard SMA antenna does not fit properly on a SDS100. You have to use the unique SDS100 antenna that comes with the scanner or use the included SMA to BNC adapter and use BNC type of antennas.

/Ubbe

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
As Ubbe mentioned. Most SMA antennas will not work on the SDS100 as they will bottom out before making contact with the center pin. It is possible the stock antenna that came with your SDS100 has gone bad. Try using a BNC antenna along with the SMA to BNC adapter that came with this scanner.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
--- when squelch is at zero is normal. Set squelch to 2 and you should get an RSSI number when squelch opens.

And yes, most SMA antennas will not work with the SDS100 unless specifically designed for the SDS100. The collar around the antenna connector used for weather sealing prevents most SMA antennas ftom screwing on far enough to connect properly.

A BNC antenna adapter designed for the SDS100 and BNC antennas are the best solution.

baloumax

Premium Subscriber
I used the provided connector with antenna
Its whe i put back original antenna i noticed problem wx channel came on with signal then list signal pushed at base toward back signal and voice came back. So looking at sending it back to get it fixed i guess
At least i no the problem

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I used the provided connector with antenna
Its whe i put back original antenna i noticed problem wx channel came on with signal then list signal pushed at base toward back signal and voice came back. So looking at sending it back to get it fixed i guess
At least i no the problem
If I understand what you are saying, your SDS100 receives fine with another antenna but not with the original antenna. If this is correct then also try gently wiggling the antenna and adapter that works where it connects to the scanner SMA connector while listening to a weather station to make sure there is not a bad connection inside the scanner.

If that is ok then the scanner is probably fine and the original antenna is likely gone bad. If that is the case, you would not need to send the whole scanner back to Uniden for repair, just the bad Uniden antenna. In the meantime, just use a different antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.