SDS100/SDS200: SDS 100 stopped Charging

Downlinerz2

Premium Subscriber
A few days ago I noticed the red light was not on as it usually was. I immediately went to battery options to put "enable" charging while on gain. But this did not work. I tried it 10 times. I took the battery out and put another and that did not work. I tried different blocks and cords.
Bought a new cord but it didn't work and didn't really expect it to. I got my SDS100 in 2018 and have had no other problems. Anything I have missed that I can try before sending it off for repairs? Thank you!

RMason

Premium Subscriber
A few days ago I noticed the red light was not on as it usually was. I immediately went to battery options to put "enable" charging while on gain. But this did not work. I tried it 10 times. I took the battery out and put another and that did not work. I tried different blocks and cords.
Bought a new cord but it didn't work and didn't really expect it to. I got my SDS100 in 2018 and have had no other problems. Anything I have missed that I can try before sending it off for repairs? Thank you!
What are you using as the USB power source? Your power source should be able to deliver 2A to charge and scan without issues.

Does it charge when the scanner is off?

Downlinerz2

Premium Subscriber
What are you using as the USB power source? Your power source should be able to deliver 2A to charge and scan without issues.

Does it charge when the scanner is off?
I have it plugged in a Uniden Blocks that have worked before. No. When it is off and plugged in it does not charge.
I checked the Uniden block it says 2000mA which I think is 2A. Always have worked for 6 years.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
I have it plugged in a Uniden Blocks that have worked before. No. When it is off and plugged in it does not charge.
I checked the Uniden block it says 2000mA which I think is 2A. Always have worked for 6 years.
Yes. The Uniden AC adapter is 2A. You have tried multiple AC adapters?

The SDS100 should show the battery voltage in the display. What is the battery voltage level with & without the usb cable connected?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Are you using the USB cable that came with the SDS100? Or a different one. The problem could be in the cable, if the power supply is providing the correct voltage & amperage. You are using the lower, "USB-Mini" port on the scanner, and not the USB-Micro port just above it, right? Does the scanner operate with the cable in place, even if not charging?

On your SDS-100, you can modify the display settings so that the voltage being supplied by your power adapter is shown on the screen. (See the USB2 Vbus Voltage field, in the lower left area.)
1721703120414.png

I have mine set to show both the input voltage, as well as the Battery's voltage.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I also have a SDS100 from the first or second production run back in 2018, still running without issue.

It sounds like you have covered all the suggested remedies listed here with no luck. If you have an external charger from Uniden you can at least charge your batteries. If not, it looks like your options are to either buy an external charger or send the scanner in for repairs. I believe Uniden offers a deal on buying an extra battery with the external charger for around $70. At least that’s what I paid when I got the external charger with battery, but that’s when they were first offered. The cost of repair is around $90 plus shipping (I’ve always rounded it off to $100, easier to remember, for me at least.)

Ideally, charging the batteries outside the radio is the recommended method. I have two of the external Uniden chargers. I keep one in my truck where the scanner resides and another at home. In the past I’ve stated I religiously do all my charging outside of the radio using the external charger (to avoid the possibility of having a battery go bad and swell within the radio) but as of late I find myself using the cord to charge the battery from my vehicle while still inside the radio.

Keep in mind the chance of battery swelling is rare… we only hear about the ones that go bad, not the thousands that never swell. So, even though the recommended procedure is to charge the battery outside of the radio, Uniden wouldn’t have offered the ability to charge internally if it wasn’t safe to do so.

And, as long as we are on the subject, I offer the following; It’s my understanding the Lithium batteries Uniden offers (to date the only battery that fits the SDS100) use a chemical makeup that does not produce enough heat to cause fire and/or explosions when they go bad… they just swell. This take on how one of Uniden’s battery’s behave if they go bad, namely no fire and/or explosion, is borne out by zero reports of such occurrences. Further, if a battery does swell while still in the radio, it won’t do any harm to the radio, at least according to the various newsgroups postings I’ve read. Bottom line, it’s safe to charge your battery while still in the radio. Of course, there are differing opinions, I may have missed a report or two that document the opposite of what I have related here and I would appreciate dissenting opinions.

Hope this helps…

Ubbe

In the past I’ve stated I religiously do all my charging outside of the radio using the external charger (to avoid the possibility of having a battery go bad and swell within the radio) but as of late I find myself using the cord to charge the battery from my vehicle while still inside the radio.
SDS100 batteries can be stored away in a drawer and still swell, so it is not related to the charging process.

/Ubbe

Downlinerz2

Premium Subscriber
I will try to answer all in one. The radio works fine so the battery is supplying power. I have 2 batteries and the problem is the same with both. On the Detailed Display page it shows 3.4v. My second battery is charged as well.
I switched back to another cord and it seems loose in the socket. It falls out easily. My Problem may be there. I will check the other items later today. Thanks all!

Downlinerz2

Premium Subscriber
Ok. I tried plugging the scanner into the computer to see what happened. Wish I thought of it before. But it will not read from the scanner at all. It has to be a problem with the socket. I will probably have to send it in. I will still look at some other things. Thanks again.

emscapt9816

Retired, but somehow working harder now...
Premium Subscriber
Try cleaning the USB connectors on the radio, cords, and charger. I use a wooden toothpick and alcohol preps. You'll be amazed how dirty the alcohol swabs get when you're done.

Downlinerz2

Premium Subscriber
Try cleaning the USB connectors on the radio, cords, and charger. I use a wooden toothpick and alcohol preps. You'll be amazed how dirty the alcohol swabs get when you're done.
Thank you Eric. I will try that. Can't hurt that for sure.😉 You were a FDNY Capt. I spend a lot of time watching video of the FDNY. Mostly TheMajesterium1. Thank you again.

Downlinerz2

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the USB port went bad at this point. These units are know for having the USB port fail/ become detached from the board.
Thanks to you all.I have not had many problems with my SDS 100. The latch on the battery cover I have replaced twice.

Downlinerz2

Premium Subscriber
Thought I'd give an update. I sent my scanner to Uniden on 25 July. They received it on 29 July. It was shipped back on 31 July. It's great how you can follow the status of the repair. They repaired the radio. One of the batteries was bad so I will need to get another. The whole USB plug assembly is much tighter and stable now. I also had the volume knob repaired for it had become what I call "goosey". A little movement of the scanner could cause it to beep as if you turned the knob. It's nice and tight again.
when they shipped it back on 31 July they gave me a FedEx tracking number. I checked it around noon on 1 Aug but showed nothing. I checked it on Friday 2 Aug and no info. I called FedEx and at one point the AI asked if this was about shipment with last #s being x x x x? I said yes. They said "it was delivered at 2:08 pm. And it was on my porch in the rain. No damage. I had missed the scanner and I'm glad it's back.
I am impressed by the quick turnaround for everything. I wish they had included a sheet with the repairs listed but it works. I have ordered an external battery charger and I will get a couple new batteries. Thanks all for your help!
And thanks Uniden for a great job!