SDS 200 SD Card Read Error!

noelp

Premium Subscriber
I never have an problems with the SDS100 and this error. I have spent the last 4 hours trying to clear this error and no solution. Rebooted laptop several times, tried different cords, formatted with the recommended sd card format software, tried another sd card, etc. Either it won't go into Mass Storage or if it does I try all the steps and the error comes right back. While the hell does the SDS200 do this error monthly at best? I about to throw this thing out the door. Does anyone have accurate information on how to do this? I see many comments on this. I sure wish someone else would come up with a scanner for Simulcast. At any price.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Open Sentinel...plug scanner in...Scanner tab on Sentinel ..Clear User Data...Check the box to Display all Drives. Should see it highlighted...Write to Scanner...unplug.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
In theory, yes. In reality. No.
Not sure what that means, but it doesn't appear you have the necessary programming files on the SD Card is the usual problem. You can perform the same task by using either a card reader or a USB SD Card reader plugged into the computer.

noelp

Premium Subscriber
I turn the scanner on and it’s showing the as card file error message. It is not in Mass storage mode. Shouldn’t it be? I unplugged the usb card card and it then went into mass storage. Tan clear user data. Write to scanner Completed. Unplug, same error message. Done this many times today. It should corrupt this easy. The SDS never does.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I turn the scanner on and it’s showing the as card file error message. It is not in Mass storage mode. Shouldn’t it be? I unplugged the usb card card and it then went into mass storage. Tan clear user data. Write to scanner Completed. Unplug, same error message. Done this many times today. It should corrupt this easy. The SDS never does.
No ..it won't show Mass Storage Mode if the scanner doesn't have the files necessary for programming. The scanner isn't recognizing the SD Card. Follow the steps I described.

noelp

Premium Subscriber
Using my phone to type this. Auto correct Errors but the message should be understandable.

noelp

Premium Subscriber
Just reformatted card. Did the same steps again. Same result. I do see it is not reading the serial number of the unit, next to the drive letter when clearing user data. Even afterwards.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Just reformatted card. Did the same steps again. Same result. I do see it is not reading the serial number of the unit, next to the drive letter when clearing user data. Even afterwards.
Are you checking the box to display all the drives, then click ok then Writing to Scanner?

a417

Used a brand new card and now it is working. Literally been fighting this almost 5 hours. Crazy.
#lifeprohacktipyolotimeismoney for basically all cards...diagnostics by replacement will be your best bet.

replace it when it misbehaves, and then do a post-mortem on it to see if formatting fixes a transient error. They die quickly, and it's not worth the effort many times to revive a dying card. They are essentially disposable at this day and age.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Given the relatively low price of SD cards, it's a good idea to have a number of extras. Plus finding the lower capacity cards (32GB or less) might be challenging before too long.

It's recommended to use the High Endurance variety as they tolerate more read/write cycles. There could be more of these cycles happening than you realize.

Lastly, unless you really use the feature, leave Replay and Record off. If you disrupt power with a write cycle happening, you will corrupt cards.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Given the relatively low price of SD cards, it's a good idea to have a number of extras. Plus finding the lower capacity cards (32GB or less) might be challenging before too long.

It's recommended to use the High Endurance variety as they tolerate more read/write cycles. There could be more of these cycles happening than you realize.

Lastly, unless you really use the feature, leave Replay and Record off. If you disrupt power with a write cycle happening, you will corrupt cards.

“ Lastly, unless you really use the feature, leave Replay and Record off. If you disrupt power with a write cycle happening, you will corrupt cards.”

It’s also important to note if the scanner is used in a vehicle and power is taken from the accessory side of the ignition switch, where the scanner is divorced from power when the vehicle is turned off, and the scanner has Replay and/or Record on, your chances of corrupting the SD Card increases, for the reason stated above within the quote marks… it’s because the SDS scanners first update the SD Card as part of the shutdown process when the scanner is turned off manually, as directed by the manufacturer. If you have Replay or Record turned on the scanner does not have a chance to update the SD Card when you divorce power... it’s essentially the same as unplugging the power cord while the scanner is on. If the scanner happens to be in a “write cycle”, the SD Card will most likely get corrupted. (There are those, myself included, that choose NOT to manually turn off an on their radio gear when the vehicle is parked and therefore don’t temp fate by having the Replay or Record function turned on-I’ve never had a problem with doing this with my BCD536HP or SDS200.)

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
They die quickly, and it's not worth the effort many times to revive a dying card. They are essentially disposable at this day and age.
I must be lucky. Still using my original card in my 436 from 2016. Occasionally I get that message but usually right after swapping the batteries. I simply remove the batts and open and close the sd card door and it starts right up. But yeah, cards are very inexpensive these days and I have spares.

a417

I must be lucky. Still using my original card in my 436 from 2016. Occasionally I get that message but usually right after swapping the batteries. I simply remove the batts and open and close the sd card door and it starts right up. But yeah, cards are very inexpensive these days and I have spares.
Every once in a while, one will beat the curve. I have an original raspi 1A that sits in a hermetically sealed container in a front shrubbery and controls the seasonal lights. 3rd year of that assignment, before that it did climate control in the basement...card in that one is 11+ yrs old.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I found that the x36HP scanners had a lot of card errors. To the point that I had a fully programmed back up in my truck just in case. I don't think I've had to replace a "bad" card in either of my SDS cards since I've owned them. Maybe because I bought upgraded cards along the way. My 536HP hasn't had a card problem in several years either.