SDS100/SDS200: SDS Memory Question...

JDKelley

Just call me "Sparks." Or "Lucky."
Curious question: SDS100 with 32GB card. Theoretically, just how many memory slots do I have in this thing?

(I know, weird question. I can't help it, I'm pathologically curious...)

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There are some basic files on your SD card, including the full database, profile, Favorites Lists, audio recordings and so forth.

You can add however many Favorites Lists, which I'm assuming you mean by a "memory slot" in the space remaining. If you do a lot of recording, that gobbles up space. So how much "Favorites List room" you have depends on how much memory, if any, used by recordings.

Each Favorites List has a maximum size of 1 MB. But Favorites Lists can vary in size from very small to very large (up to 1 MB) depending how much data is associated with the Favorites List.

The Dynamic Memory Architecture is a whole new concept that pretty much does away with the notion that you have only X slots for channels.

So it's going to be really hard to answer more definitively. But it's safe to say it's very unlikely you will run out of space on a 32 GB card unless you do a ton of recording.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Curious question: SDS100 with 32GB card. Theoretically, just how many memory slots do I have in this thing?

(I know, weird question. I can't help it, I'm pathologically curious...)

Not sure if this is what you mean by "slots".......

As well as the entire North American database that resides on the card, you can program up to 256 Favorites lists, each containing up to 1MB of data. Even an 8GB card will hold that with much room to spare

JDKelley

Just call me "Sparks." Or "Lucky."
I was just curious. Coming from the PRO-2006 as I have (and old Uniden units before that,) I'm used to thinking in terms of "memory slots"/"crystal sockets," but it sounds like I need to alter my thinking...

Sounds like I've got lots of room to play, then. I was only asking because I didn't see any sort of hard answer while skimming the literature yet, so I was wondering. And, as I said, I'm "pathologically curious." (At least, I've been described as such, using those two exact words, by three different psychiatrists in three different states over a period of 15 years. So, I'm thinking there's something to the idea, and I've stuck with it ever since. I think it describes me well, since I'm always studying and learning about something-or-other...)

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You can store a large amount of data on the stock 8 gb card and even more on a larger card, but in the end, you are limited to only 100 favorites lists if using quick keys. Same with systems/sites/departments.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
but in the end, you are limited to only 100 favorites lists if using quick keys. Same with systems/sites/departments.

I'm not sure if I would have worded it quite this way. Rather, "you can have as many as 256 Favorites Lists, but you are limited to only 100 Favorite Quick Keys. So if you choose to create those 256 FLs and use FL Quick Keys, you may have to be creative with your programming. Such as having a west coast startup key with FLQKs 0-99 on that startup key and then an east coast startup key with another 100 FLs using FLQKs 0-99 on that startup key. (Among other things.)

Last edited: