SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 advice needed

Nasby

I was considering a 325P2 scanner (See Thread Here), but after I re-read previous comments and did the math, decided to save up for an SDS100 instead.

I intend to use the SDS100 to listen to local ATC (hence my nickname :D) with a smattering of railroads and local emergency services.

Are there any pros/cons and/or pitfalls I should take into consideration before making a final decision?
I own an SDS100 and I enjoy listening to rail and aircraft. However, I use another scanner for that. The SDS is awful on these frequencies (even with filtering and an RH77CA antenna).

The SDS shines on digital simulcast systems which is what it was primarily designed for. If your main focus is air and rail there are much better and less expensive choices.

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
Respectfully disagree. It scans very well. And truly receives better than the 100!
I think you are missing the point.

Yes, it scans one system, one site, and a limited number of TGs, and from what I've heard does an awesome job at that.

But it is NOT a scanner. You cannot load it with two or three P25 systems, a bunch of analog frequencies, and a DMR or NXDN system and have it scan all of them like an SDS100 can. If I am not mistaken, Unication came out with a 'beta' firmware that would make it act like a scanner, and there was even a rumor that they were working on an actual scanner, but (so far at least) neither of those has come to fruition.

It's also a little "hand-held". Great if you want that; not so great if you want something in a mobile form factor.

I own an SDS100 and I enjoy listening to rail and aircraft. However, I use another scanner for that. The SDS is awful on these frequencies (even with filtering and an RH77CA antenna).

The SDS shines on digital simulcast systems which is what it was primarily designed for. If your main focus is air and rail there are much better and less expensive choices.
As mentioned (and in my signature), I have a Radioshack Pro-164 for Air and Rail pleasure :)
The SDS100 would be for local emergency services.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
I think you are missing the point.

Yes, it scans one system, one site, and a limited number of TGs, and from what I've heard does an awesome job at that.

But it is NOT a scanner. You cannot load it with two or three P25 systems, a bunch of analog frequencies, and a DMR or NXDN system and have it scan all of them like an SDS100 can. If I am not mistaken, Unication came out with a 'beta' firmware that would make it act like a scanner, and there was even a rumor that they were working on an actual scanner, but (so far at least) neither of those has come to fruition.

It's also a little "hand-held". Great if you want that; not so great if you want something in a mobile form factor.
You might be missing part of my point. I do understand what you are saying with respect to what you perceive are limitations. But they can be advantageous too! Although you have to separate things a little I do not find that to be problematic.

Sure. You can “jam” a bunch of things into the 100 and maybe hear half of it. You can also put the 100 side by side with the G5 on the same system with the same programming and hear more and receive it all clearly! Also, I almost always run multiple radios.

That’s just my opinion and experience. If you want me to say that you’re right and I’m wrong ok! There you go! I love my G5. I’ve never really liked my 100!

Respectfully!

Last edited:

donc13

Premium Subscriber
You might be missing part of my point. I do understand what you are saying with respect to what you perceive are limitations. But they can be advantageous too! Although you have to separate things a little I do not find that to be problematic.

Sure. You can “jam” a bunch of things into the 100 and maybe hear half of it. You can also put the 100 side by side with the G5 on the same system with the same programming and hear more and receive it all clearly! Also, I almost always run multiple radios.

That’s just my opinion and experience. If you want me to say that you’re right and I’m wrong ok! There you go! I love my G5. I’ve never really liked my 100!

Respectfully!
For YOUR purposes, the G5 may be perfect. For others, they are worthless. Different strokes for different folks.

But the G5 is not, a "SCANNER" it is a "PAGER"

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
I love my G5. I’ve never really liked my 100!
LOL. Yeah I caught that. :)

Not knocking you or the G5, and I apologize if I came across that way. Everything I've seen about the Unication pagers suggests that they do better handling simulcast than the SDS scanners, but they DO have limitations that make them less versatile than an SDS100. That's totally understandable, since their target market is not hobbyists but first responders. If I'm a fire fighter carrying one, I care about hearing every transmission; I don't care about a TG limitation since I probably only need to monitor a handful of them.

Perhaps it just comes down to symantics. I can buy a $20 Baofeng off Amazon, program a bunch of analog frequencies, and scan them. That doesn't make it a "scanner". I could also buy a Unication G5 pager and use it to monitor the local P25 system. That doesn't make it a scanner.

You are totally right about "jamming things" into an SDS100. I too run multiple scanners in most circumstances, and normally if I'm listening to the SDS100 I'm only monitoring the local P25 system and I have the scanner parked on one site, which matches how the G5 works. But this system has over 600 TGs, so I think it would be tough to whittle that down to 64. I can also grab my SDS100 and throw it in my truck and connect the GPS and have something to listen to on long trips, and when I get to my destination I can listen to analog, P25, DMR or NDXN on VHF, UHF and 800 MHz.

Different tools to do the job. I'm glad you like the G5, and I'm sorry you don't care for the SDS100. I've thought about purchasing a G5 more than once, but I already had the SDS100 and for my needs it's a better fit.

So I have just decided against getting a new SDR100.
After the math was done on a new one, I just cannot justify spending just over $800.
If I cannot find a used one for a "decent" price, I will go back to getting a 325P2 given the caveats that
I was told about (May or may not pick up simulcast).

ninjabonez

Premium Subscriber
my first radio was a 325p2 about 3yrs ago.
i freakin loved it !!

i like PROSCAN
i use Sentinel to update firmware. and rarely use to program

it did everything i needed it to do, p25, Air, Rail, Ham, CB etc etc etc. LOVED IT.
everybody says it Cant Handle Simulcast... but it can if you chop it up into smaller Favorite groups.
dont try to listen to every single police, fire, and ems channels at the same time. just listen to small areas at a time.
and change from NFM to FM. works sooo much better.

i dont know where i would be right now if i ran out and got an SDS100 as my first radio.
id prolly have a few SDS200s by now to go with it LoL
im already thinking about putting an SDS200 on my desk - the wife is gunna hate me ROFL

i have 325, 436, and SDS100.

got my SDS100 for Xmas and abso love it !!! lol
but also with NXDN and DMR upgrades.
just got the Waterfall upgrade last week so im still playin with that.

sadly my 325 is dead now, and my 436 is acting up...

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
So I have just decided against getting a new SDR100.
After the math was done on a new one, I just cannot justify spending just over $800.
If I cannot find a used one for a "decent" price, I will go back to getting a 325P2 given the caveats that
I was told about (May or may not pick up simulcast).
My 325P2 picks up simulcast fine. Just have to tweek the P25 stuff. Sure, its not as good as my SDS200 but good enough for me.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Exactly what I am saying. There are some here who suggest folks get G5 instead of an SDS.

Absolutely stupid considering MSR on a G5 is $765 and an sds100 is $650.
That's especially the case for the OP. He's in the Houston area, where almost all of the public safety agencies utilize the TxWARN trunked system. Unless the OP wanted to monitor only one agency, or just one of the four quadrants used by Houston Public Safety, more than one site is needed. If the OP would monitor only the Houston Public Safety Northeast Simulcast, a lot of radio traffic for other agencies, and possibly other parts of Houston, would be missed.

ctiller

Premium Subscriber
To me the SDS series does not perform as well on the air bands. I have the SDS 100 and 200.