SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 & distant repeaters

NESN

Got the SDS100. Using it happily with Full Database in Franklin (Central) Indiana , picking up IMPD,MCSO, IFD, Lawrence & Speedway easily through the Indianapolis Metro system. Picking up Johnson, Barthlomew, Shelby, Morgan, Brown counties, DNR South, ISP Indy, ISP Bloomington on Indiana Safe-T easily.
My questions are: 1: on the line showing the Repeater, it samples Knight's Ridge, Wilkinson, Seymour, Rushville, Greenfield, Greensburg, Pendleton , & Hendricks County all approx. 30-40 miles away, along with the local towers. Obviously too far to recieve with a duck antenna. My distance is set to 10 miles. While I don't feel I'm missing too many transmissions, is there a way to omit/skip these faraway repeaters as the SDS100 never stops on these?
2: I'm setting up Favorites Lists in Sentinel. When I download individual counties/agencies should I select the local Safe-T towers within reason or will the database County presets do this for me?
As I said I'm happy scanning the Full Database, but as always a few tweaks may help, and I don't want to fix something that's not broken....

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Two things....
(assuming you have your location set correctly???)
If you don't know what this is - ask.
Location control, if used properly will automatically limit to what is (supposedly) within range.
Get a GPS for your radio - even better

Remember, the range you set in your preferences is ADDITIVE - there is also a range in each site/dept.
So, if your profile is set to 10 and your site/dept is set to 20, you are actually using 30 miles.

Second: the more you scan, the less you will hear.
Favorites is a very good way to build a list so you only scan sites/depts that you want to hear - and are within range.

Last edited:

JethrowJohnson

I would just program the sites (repeaters) that are in your county. Like @nessnet said: scan less, and you'll hear more. If the scanner's trying to receive a signal from a tower that's too far away, it will take time away from scanning channels you will hear.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
This is my method....the old "do it yourself". Spend more time appending, deleting, writing back etc. , then to just put in the county site(s) close to you, talkgroups you'd want to listen to, and then run ID Scan:

rrobinso84

Premium Subscriber
I used analyze on the scanner to check signal strength for each programed site in a system and set the weak/no signal sites to avoid.
However, I don't go mobile. If i did, I'd probably keep them.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I used analyze on the scanner to check signal strength for each programed site in a system and set the weak/no signal sites to avoid.
However, I don't go mobile. If i did, I'd probably keep them.

If you're looking at the database, at the County column, I scroll down and only program the sites within my county/range. I then program the control and alternate frequencies, scroll down to the county area, decide what I want to ID Scan. I've been successfully programming this way for quite a long time now. The video is a very good how-to on what I use.