SDS100 Initial Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
15 + offset 3 = 15 (the max volume isn't increased by setting an offset).

I understand. The volume on the specific channel or talk group is increased, which is very handy in noisy environments. I've been taking advantage of this feature since the 996XT/396XT days and much prefer it. I'd rather have my volume down and if a "low talker" comes across, I can turn it up briefly to hear what he/she said. It is a notable difference between a channel or talk group Volume offset to 0, Volume at 15 to a Volume offset set to +3 on the same channel. It's OP's method and if he hears what he wants to hear a little better I would think it works for him.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It is a notable difference between a channel or talk group Volume offset to 0, Volume at 15 to a Volume offset set to +3 on the same channel.

There is no actual speaker volume or audio quality difference between volume knob settings 12-15 with a +3 volume offset on a channel. You're fooling yourself, and spreading bad/incorrect information. You can't get louder than the maximum volume setting (15 on the 436 and SDS100, 29 on the 536), with or without a volume offset on a channel.

Having a positive volume offset also makes it impossible to turn the volume down to zero on a channel.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
There is no actual speaker volume or audio quality difference between volume knob settings 12-15 with a +3 volume offset on a channel. You're fooling yourself, and spreading bad/incorrect information. You can't get louder than the maximum volume setting (15 on the 436 and SDS100, 29 on the 536), with or without a volume offset on a channel.

Having a positive volume offset also makes it impossible to turn the volume down to zero on a channel.

Jon...i'll leave this here for now. If the poster mentioned the volume offset helped him monitor a system better, accept it. If I mention it helps me hear systems, channels better accept it. No one is spreading false information, it's a "feature" available that we have tried and it works. If it doesn't work for anyone else, they have an option not to use it. I haven't opened my scanner and voided any warranties, nor have I told anyone to do so. It's a feature available that we use and as long as I'm not damaging the scanner, no harm done right? No one is wrong here if it makes their listening of this or any other scanner better right? If someone reads this, edits the channel and tries it and says "hey, that's a good idea", then that's good right? If not, they return to previous setting, then that's ok right? I understand this doesn't fit into what you listen to, or your style or whatever you call it, but I'm ok with that too. Some here have switched to different antennas, some have had programming issues because of issues with Radio reference databases. I look and read everything I can here, and if someone says "hey, this is what I do", I might try it. Do what works for you, but please don't accuse me of spreading false information when all I'm doing is commenting on a feature that is made available and my findings. Other's opinions here are just as valuable as yours...thanks.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's not an opinion, it's a fact, that setting a positive volume offset does not increase the maximum speaker volume. Saying otherwise is indeed spreading inaccurate information. End of story.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Correct...but if I need a few extra decibels and turn the Volume up to 15, I'm actually getting a little more volume if I need it.

And the fact is that you aren't. From the last post in the thread you linked:

"The purpose of volume offsets (+ or -) isn't to raise or lower volume across the board or to give more "horsepower" to all channels.

Rather it is to "even out" certain channels where the volume is inherently too low or high."

Which is my point exactly. You can boost or cut one channel's volume relative to another's, but you can't boost the volume past the level you'd get if you set the master volume to maximum with the knob.

And Upman's post is saying the exact same thing--a volume offset on a channel does not increase the maximum volume at the speaker.

XN4Sir

I haven’t been in to scanning science the early 90’s and the technology has really change. I retired from law enforcement a couple years ago and miss the chatter and action.

I feel like I’m starting from scratch in scanner knowledge. Hope the SDS100 isn’t over my head. I’m not so patiently waiting for it to be delivered. Looks like I found the right place to get some help if needed.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I haven’t been in to scanning science the early 90’s and the technology has really change. I retired from law enforcement a couple years ago and miss the chatter and action.

I feel like I’m starting from scratch in scanner knowledge. Hope the SDS100 isn’t over my head. I’m not so patiently waiting for it to be delivered. Looks like I found the right place to get some help if needed.

As long as you are comfortable enough with PCs, you should have little trouble programming the radio with Sentinel.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I found the SDS100 on Amazon, but it does not say if it comes with an AC adapter. I run my HomePatrol 2 all day/night plugged into AC power and I want to get a separate unit to charge the batteries (no longer want to do it inside the machine itself). Does the unit from Amazon come with the AC adapter or do I have to hunt one down? Can I just use an adapter like for the HP2 or is the power requirements that much more?

I will charge the battery now and then for remote mobile scanning but most of the time I run my scanners from home so I will just let it run off AC power.

I live in a rural area , used to live in an urban one, and it is definitely harder to pick up signals out here. Wondering if the SDS100 will improve the list of what I can pick up.

What is the best antenna to use (Diamond??) ? I have a diamond telescopic on my HP2 and a BNC W-100RX on my BCD325P2. I read somewhere that the SDS100 has a recessed antenna jack and it makes it hard to attach one.

I am not positive of the exact systems around me (ie if there are any simulcasts or anything) but right out of the box I am hoping after plugging in the zip code and giving it a decent antenna it might improve what I pick up. The HP2 and BCD325P2 pick up a lof of frequencies around the area, but due to the terrain where my place is a lot of them are full of static.

How "hot" does it actually get? My current units don't run all that warm really.

Thanks ya'll.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I found the SDS100 on Amazon, but it does not say if it comes with an AC adapter. I run my HomePatrol 2 all day/night plugged into AC power and I want to get a separate unit to charge the batteries (no longer want to do it inside the machine itself). Does the unit from Amazon come with the AC adapter or do I have to hunt one down? Can I just use an adapter like for the HP2 or is the power requirements that much more?

I will charge the battery now and then for remote mobile scanning but most of the time I run my scanners from home so I will just let it run off AC power.

I live in a rural area , used to live in an urban one, and it is definitely harder to pick up signals out here. Wondering if the SDS100 will improve the list of what I can pick up.

What is the best antenna to use (Diamond??) ? I have a diamond telescopic on my HP2 and a BNC W-100RX on my BCD325P2. I read somewhere that the SDS100 has a recessed antenna jack and it makes it hard to attach one.

I am not positive of the exact systems around me (ie if there are any simulcasts or anything) but right out of the box I am hoping after plugging in the zip code and giving it a decent antenna it might improve what I pick up. The HP2 and BCD325P2 pick up a lof of frequencies around the area, but due to the terrain where my place is a lot of them are full of static.

How "hot" does it actually get? My current units don't run all that warm really.

Thanks ya'll.

The SDS100 comes with a 5V USB wall power adapter similar to what you get with modern smartphones. You use the supplied USB cable with the wall adapter to charge the radio. The HP2 also charges with 5V adapter and a USB cable, so it will be similar.

The SDS100 works best on 700/800 mhz simulcast systems, thus an antenna optimized for that band would be ideal (RS800 or Remtronics.). I'm not sure if the SDS100 is the best radio for you without knowing your specific location - perhaps you should consider a 436 instead if what you listen to is not a simulcast 700/800 system.

Maybe you can tell us where you live and what services you like to monitor?

XN4Sir

As long as you are comfortable enough with PCs, you should have little trouble programming the radio with Sentinel.
I'm very comfortable with a PC. as far as the scanner? I might as well be going from a rotary phone straight to an iPhone X.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
Maybe you can tell us where you live and what services you like to monitor?

Thank you for your reply. It's amazing what they don't tell you on the product write-ups!

I live in a suburb outside of Waterbury , CT. I listen to all of the usual things, police fire EMS public works etc. I have noticed that a lot of the channels, likely due to the topography in my particular Town, come in scratchy, some are nothing but static, and I wish I could hear more of them. Is the SDS 100 any better at punching through that than the HP2 and BCD325P2 I already have ?

It would also be an added bonus if it would pick up additional channels to that but I'm not sure what is around. I do know that there are a ton of VHF and UHF bands that the HP2 gets stuck on, because it is irritating and I have to get up and ignore that channel so it can go on and find something else. I I'm not sure if every single one of these bands gets stuck, I think the state police might use VHF themselves and those come in fine.

Last edited:

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your reply. It's amazing what they don't tell you on the product write-ups!

I live in a suburb outside of Waterbury , CT. I listen to all of the usual things, police fire EMS public works etc. I have noticed that a lot of the channels, likely due to the topography in my particular Town, come in scratchy, some are nothing but static, and I wish I could hear more of them. Is the SDS 100 any better at punching through that than the HP2 and BCD325P2 I already have ?

It would also be an added bonus if it would pick up additional channels to that but I'm not sure what is around. I do know that there are a ton of VHF and UHF bands that the HP2 gets stuck on, because it is irritating and I have to get up and ignore that channel so it can go on and find something else. I I'm not sure if every single one of these bands gets stuck, I think the state police might use VHF themselves and those come in fine.

I'm not super familiar with CT, but looking through the RRDB, there are two systems that the SDS100 would work better than the the two radios you currently own, and likely better that the 436: Waterbury P25 and the new Connecticut statewide P25 - both Phase 1 and likey LSM. The SDS100 *seems* to be optimized to receive these types of simulcast systems operating in those bands.

As for VHF and UHF and the issues you are experiencing, IDK. Hard to tell for sure what is causing the stuck channels - could be a number of things. Have you tried using PL/DPL/NAC settings? A number of people on these boards note that the SDS100 does not perform as well as the 436 on non-simulcast systems in the VHF or UHF bands. I haven't experienced any problems - but I also don't monitor anything in those bands except a multicast VHF system, and its analog audio can be scratchy at times.

If it were me, I'd buy the SDS100 to "future proof" myself, but I would not expect it to solve your VHF / UHF issues. Hope this helps.

AvidHiker

I'd say it's definitely not going to improve on "scratchy" reception, my 436 is actually less scratchy on the analog UHF stuff I monitor (and nieither hold a candle to the Icom IC-R2 I bought 20 years ago - that's good analog).

The SDS was really designed for stuff that actually can't sound scratchy: simulcast digital transmissions. It can easily outperform the 436 if simulcast distortion is an issue.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I'm not super familiar with CT, but looking through the RRDB, there are two systems that the SDS100 would work better than the the two radios you currently own, and likely better that the 436: Waterbury P25 and the new Connecticut statewide P25 - both Phase 1 and likey LSM. The SDS100 *seems* to be optimized to receive these types of simulcast systems operating in those bands.

As for VHF and UHF and the issues you are experiencing, IDK. Hard to tell for sure what is causing the stuck channels - could be a number of things. Have you tried using PL/DPL/NAC settings? A number of people on these boards note that the SDS100 does not perform as well as the 436 on non-simulcast systems in the VHF or UHF bands. I haven't experienced any problems - but I also don't monitor anything in those bands except a multicast VHF system, and its analog audio can be scratchy at times.

If it were me, I'd buy the SDS100 to "future proof" myself, but I would not expect it to solve your VHF / UHF issues. Hope this helps.

I still want the scanner and I'd love to hear waterbury better. Do you think the on board programming is sufficient or should I look into any of the upgrades?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I'd say it's definitely not going to improve on "scratchy" reception, my 436 is actually less scratchy on the analog UHF stuff I monitor (and nieither hold a candle to the Icom IC-R2 I bought 20 years ago - that's good analog).

The SDS was really designed for stuff that actually can't sound scratchy: simulcast digital transmissions. It can easily outperform the 436 if simulcast distortion is an issue.

Good to know. I have my BCD325P2 and HP2 , maybe I'll pray I can find a SDS100 on sale some day.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I still want the scanner and I'd love to hear waterbury better. Do you think the on board programming is sufficient or should I look into any of the upgrades?

I have no need for the additional digital modes since all I listen to is public safety. P25 is the defacto public safety standard , particularly in more populous jurisdictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.