SDS100/SDS200: Sds100 update

DJBio

Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
226
Reaction score
53
Location
PEI
Went to upstate my sds 100 last night and it did the update and said there was a firmware update so don’t as always then did a database update and when i uploaded to the sds 100 once done it is now showing nothing to scan any help would be greatly appreciated
 

W4EMS

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
825
Reaction score
109
Location
NoVA
The two updates sort of garbled my fav list and I had to go back and restore same. A really good reason to back up before updating either firmware or software but you know that now. I have not had this problem with earlier updates but I blamed it on the fact I had not updated in same time (i.e. if not broke don't fix it). Did not think to check Wiki as I have not had issues in the past. Live and learn after all it is a hobby, yes?
 

DJBio

Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
226
Reaction score
53
Location
PEI
The two updates sort of garbled my fav list and I had to go back and restore same. A really good reason to back up before updating either firmware or software but you know that now. I have not had this problem with earlier updates but I blamed it on the fact I had not updated in same time (i.e. if not broke don't fix it). Did not think to check Wiki as I have not had issues in the past. Live and learn after all it is a hobby, yes?
I had it back up but my computer I used for my scanners crashed
 

DJBio

Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2006
Messages
226
Reaction score
53
Location
PEI
The two updates sort of garbled my fav list and I had to go back and restore same. A really good reason to back up before updating either firmware or software but you know that now. I have not had this problem with earlier updates but I blamed it on the fact I had not updated in same time (i.e. if not broke don't fix it). Did not think to check Wiki as I have not had issues in the past. Live and learn after all it is a hobby, yes?
I had it back up but my computer I used for my scanners crashed
Oh wow, if only this question had been asked before or if someone had created a wiki section dedicated to this never-before-asked topic…
reason I posted instead of trying to search is I worked all day then got called back at 10pm last night to go close a section of the highway where I live do to a 2 vehicle collision with 2 fatalities and got back home at 2am then back up for work at 6:30am so my brain is not working the best when it comes to searching
 

dmfalk

Active Member
Joined
May 16, 2024
Messages
896
Reaction score
794
Location
Eureka
Suggestion: Turn off all favourites lists, then turn at least one back on. Just had this happen, myself, and this turned out to be the solution.
 

ofd8001

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
8,512
Reaction score
1,643
Location
Louisville, KY
As inexpensive as SD cards are, I have several extra ones. Each "variety" of scanner has at two spare SD cards. That way if something wild and crazy happens, I can grab one and stick it in the scanner.

Can't never have too many extra, redundant or backup things when it comes to electronic stuff.
 

dmfalk

Active Member
Joined
May 16, 2024
Messages
896
Reaction score
794
Location
Eureka
This time, I don't think it was the SD card, but rather, the format of the Favourites Lists, due to the new version of Sentinel.

The new version of Sentinel changes the favourites list format, so when the SDS100 restarts to a default list, it initially can't read it, hence "nothing to scan". I found turning the lists off, and then turn what lists you want back on causes the scanner to re-read and reformat the lists in use without the parts of entries it doesn't yet understand. (Namely, the RID aliases, a new feature for the SDS150, but not yet in the other scanners supported by this version of Sentinel.)

Also, the screen layout looks a bit different........... I think the new Sentinel modifies the screen config file, too, to (attempt to) include this.
 

N4VKF

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jul 11, 2002
Messages
1,298
Reaction score
312
Location
SPOTSYLVANIA,VA
Went to upstate my sds 100 last night and it did the update and said there was a firmware update so don’t as always then did a database update and when i uploaded to the sds 100 once done it is now showing nothing to scan any help would be greatly appreciated
I just updated sentinel. The software said there was a firmware update so I performed the update. I cannot find a changelog. I wonder if it had an update just to be used by the new version of sentinel.
 
Last edited:

ofd8001

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
8,512
Reaction score
1,643
Location
Louisville, KY
The new version of Sentinel changes the favourites list format, so when the SDS100 restarts to a default list, it initially can't read it, hence "nothing to scan". I found turning the lists off, and then turn what lists you want back on causes the scanner to re-read and reformat the lists in use without the parts of entries it doesn't yet understand. (Namely, the RID aliases, a new feature for the SDS150, but not yet in the other scanners supported by this version of Sentinel.)
I'm wondering about the notion of "The new version changes the FL format". I've not seen any posts about this previously, and I'd think there would be a ton of discussion. Especially for those who roll back firmware from time to time. Not to mention Favorites Lists being shared between different models of scanner (SDS and BCD models).
 

J-Wrock

Active Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Aug 18, 2017
Messages
549
Reaction score
569
Location
Kansas City Area
The only thing I noticed with the new Sentinel update was it created a new "default" profile so all my color settings and other features were reset to factory default. I had renamed my profile based on the date I last made major changes to the programming so I loaded that and everything snapped into place. It didn't affect the favorites themselves other than the "default" profile had them set to Download: OFF and Monitor: OFF so had I not caught it, I would've ended up with a "NOTHING TO SCAN" on my scanner!
 

dmfalk

Active Member
Joined
May 16, 2024
Messages
896
Reaction score
794
Location
Eureka
I'm wondering about the notion of "The new version changes the FL format". I've not seen any posts about this previously, and I'd think there would be a ton of discussion. Especially for those who roll back firmware from time to time. Not to mention Favorites Lists being shared between different models of scanner (SDS and BCD models).
The change has to do with the new ID aliases. This is a new entry in Sentinel, and meant for the SDS150, and how it gets stored. It does affect FLs, and the SDS100 isn't prepared for it.
 

dmfalk

Active Member
Joined
May 16, 2024
Messages
896
Reaction score
794
Location
Eureka
The only thing I noticed with the new Sentinel update was it created a new "default" profile so all my color settings and other features were reset to factory default. I had renamed my profile based on the date I last made major changes to the programming so I loaded that and everything snapped into place. It didn't affect the favorites themselves other than the "default" profile had them set to Download: OFF and Monitor: OFF so had I not caught it, I would've ended up with a "NOTHING TO SCAN" on my scanner!
I noticed the reset of the service selections, as well.
 

werinshades

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 21, 2002
Messages
6,976
Reaction score
3,444
Location
Chicago , IL
The change has to do with the new ID aliases. This is a new entry in Sentinel, and meant for the SDS150, and how it gets stored. It does affect FLs, and the SDS100 isn't prepared for it.
Alias ID's are stored under the Unit ID tab once the scanner is read back to Sentinel. This entry field has been around a long time, all the way back to the 436/536.
 
Top