SDS200 external speaker broadcast at same time. Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron351

Feed Provider
I got the SDS200 broadcasting and tried a couple ways to add a external speaker to listen while it also broadcasts. 1 speaker with volume up high was coming in to low to listen. Another speaker with no volume control was way to loud.
Most external speakers I see have no volume control and volume is set by the scanner volume.
I need to turn the volume up and down in a different room then the scanner location.
Just looking for a decent speaker that works good with volume control that I can use to listen live as the scanner also broadcasts.
I don't want to guess and have it not work and keep returning speakers.
Plus if you had success what jacks were used for each, broadcasting and external jack for your speakers.
Brand name of speaker also.
Appreciate the knowledge,
Ron

Last edited:

RandyKuff

Premium Subscriber
With the speaker with no volume control that is to loud you could try something like an inline volume control...

Search Amazon for "inline volume control" there are tons of them...

Volfirefighter

Feed Provider
What software are you using to broadcast? If you use Radiofeed (Free) it can utilize the LAN port on the SDS200 for audio and then the scanner volume will have no effect on the feed.

ron351

Feed Provider
What software are you using to broadcast? If you use Radiofeed (Free) it can utilize the LAN port on the SDS200 for audio and then the scanner volume will have no effect on the feed.

I broadcast using Scannercast. I have the lan rj45 connected

ron351

Feed Provider
I got the ethernet cable to broadcast with help from ProScan. My next hurdle is in the recording section I try playback and a popup message shows saying "Audio Playback Device not found" The only cables I have connected are external speaker, ethernet cable to broadcast and the USB connected to the front of the SDS200. Any suggestions why it says Audio playback device not found?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
I got the ethernet cable to broadcast with help from ProScan. My next hurdle is in the recording section I try playback and a popup message shows saying "Audio Playback Device not found" The only cables I have connected are external speaker, ethernet cable to broadcast and the USB connected to the front of the SDS200. Any suggestions why it says Audio playback device not found?

It could be the output device is not enabled or is malfunctioning for some reason.
Go to the Audio Control -> Recorder tab. Steps 1 & 2 in the image
Click the Windows Mixer button. Step 3 in the image
When the Windows Mixer dialog pops up, click the Playback tab. Step 4 in the image
Check if one of the output devices is set to default and has a green check. Step 5 in the image

ron351

Feed Provider
Bob, I will have to play with inputs. Right now I have a external speaker only connected to the speaker out on back of the sds200 so I can hear. After we got the ethernet cable to broadcast yesterday I connected the external speaker. In the recording tab it says no speaker connected.
If I plug in the output to a input on back of the computer it kills the external speaker. So at this point using a splitter out of the back of the scanners output branching off to both speaker and input it kills sound to the speaker. So I will have to get a cable and go from the speaker out on the computer to the speakers evidently. I thought since the scanner records to the internal sd card it would playback through the scanner to the external speaker. Figures it wouldn't of been that easy

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Bob, I will have to play with inputs. Right now I have a external speaker only connected to the speaker out on back of the sds200 so I can hear. After we got the ethernet cable to broadcast yesterday I connected the external speaker. In the recording tab it says no speaker connected.
If I plug in the output to a input on back of the computer it kills the external speaker. So at this point using a splitter out of the back of the scanners output branching off to both speaker and input it kills sound to the speaker. So I will have to get a cable and go from the speaker out on the computer to the speakers evidently. I thought since the scanner records to the internal sd card it would playback through the scanner to the external speaker. Figures it wouldn't of been that easy

ProScan has a Loopback function located in the Monitor & Test tab. That takes the audio from the input (URL in this case) and send it to output so you will not need a speaker connected to the scanner. Connect the speaker back up to the computer.

ron351

Feed Provider
So your saying that on the back of the scanner no cable needs connected to external speaker? That connecting the external speaker to the output on the computer should be all thats needed? Think I tried that, showed connected but no sound. I may need powered speakers connected to the computers output. Will try that next. I am trying different ways, will get it sonner or later, if not, will not worry about playback. Only reason why I would like playback is because I post live calls and if I miss something I could re-listen to get the correct details before posting the call

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
So your saying that on the back of the scanner no cable needs connected to external speaker? That connecting the external speaker to the output on the computer should be all thats needed? Think I tried that, showed connected but no sound. I may need powered speakers connected to the computers output. Will try that next. I am trying different ways, will get it sonner or later, if not, will not worry about playback. Only reason why I would like playback is because I post live calls and if I miss something I could re-listen to get the correct details before posting the call
Correct. Connect the speakers to the computer. Reread my post#8 to see if the Win Mixer Playback tab shows the output device set to default and is working properly.

ron351

Feed Provider
Tried everything going to scrap playback. If I miss a live feed while posting live it will have to be.
I can hear speakers and configured it as you had above, just not going to work . Maybe down the road I will mess with it again84046

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Playback side looks ok but the Audio Control -> Recording tab shows Primary Sound Device. To change it to URl, go to the Recording tab (top level / main tab) then turn off the Recorder then go back to the Audio Control -> Recorder tab then change it to URL.

ron351

Feed Provider
Bob, your the man. That worked, turning off recording, changing it to url now I can play back the recording.
I think I am good to go now again thanks to you.
You made my day 2 days in a row.
Ron

I got the SDS200 broadcasting and tried a couple ways to add a external speaker to listen while it also broadcasts. 1 speaker with volume up high was coming in to low to listen. Another speaker with no volume control was way to loud.
Most external speakers I see have no volume control and volume is set by the scanner volume.
I need to turn the volume up and down in a different room then the scanner location.
Just looking for a decent speaker that works good with volume control that I can use to listen live as the scanner also broadcasts.
I don't want to guess and have it not work and keep returning speakers.
Plus if you had success what jacks were used for each, broadcasting and external jack for your speakers.
Brand name of speaker also.
Appreciate the knowledge,
Ron
Hello I use a JBL Extreme Bluetooth Portable stereo. Sounds Excellent. A little overkill... I want to get the smaller Flip 5... You can use any system with an INPUT jack Anyway... You can change the volume on the JBL unit or use the App. Using a Male to Male 3.5 mm Audio cable Connect the EXT SPKR in back of SDS200 and connect to Bluetooth unit AUX INPUT.

ron351

Feed Provider
Hello I use a JBL Extreme Bluetooth Portable stereo. Sounds Excellent. A little overkill... I want to get the smaller Flip 5... You can use any system with an INPUT jack Anyway... You can change the volume on the JBL unit or use the App. Using a Male to Male 3.5 mm Audio cable Connect the EXT SPKR in back of SDS200 and connect to Bluetooth unit AUX INPUT.
I will have to look into this thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.