SDS200 "filter" settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
I think Uniden's logic of filters is a bit flawed(at least as far as trunked systems go), or maybe I just don't get it. For a trunked 700/800Mhz system with dozens of frequencies all over the place, it seems like there might be a need to filter differently depending on the different frequencies being used for a particular site. I assume the filters, filter out interference. The interference is likely different for different frequencies, right? I guess if it(SDS200) worked better and more reliably, we wouldn't need the filters at all. I've had some improvement on one system at home using filters, but using the the same settings a couple miles away at work, doesn't necessarily work well with the same filter settings.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
I haven't, at least as of yet, needed to do much work with the filters. I have my Global Setting as "Normal". Which I take to mean that any system I set to Global will use the normal settings. Then, I have the option to set individual systems to whatever works. I wonder if it would be possible, or even helpful, to be able to set filter settings for individual conventional frequencies?

As to the SDS being released as a "beta", think UPMan might disagree. I think it's good that Uniden listens to user feedback and updates the firmware frequently.

Ubbe

The filters frequency setting are based from the frequency you are monitoring so it is not a fixed frequency like a filter from PAR. Check noise level in analog channels, less noise is better and d-error with digital channels, the less the better. It could be that the standard settings are the best and change to invert or wide or IFX might make it worse. Each setting has to be tested with a frequency if the reception are not acceptable and what could be expected from a good antenna and a good general signal strenght from other frequencies from the same site or tower. Upman cannot explain in detail how filters work as he have said that it is Uniden proprietary information. Filters are set per trunked site or analog group and IFX are set for each individual frequency.

/Ubbe

Ncfirewire

The filters frequency setting are based from the frequency you are monitoring so it is not a fixed frequency like a filter from PAR. Check noise level in analog channels, less noise is better and d-error with digital channels, the less the better. It could be that the standard settings are the best and change to invert or wide or IFX might make it worse. Each setting has to be tested with a frequency if the reception are not acceptable and what could be expected from a good antenna and a good general signal strenght from other frequencies from the same site or tower. Upman cannot explain in detail how filters work as he have said that it is Uniden proprietary information. Filters are set per trunked site or analog group and IFX are set for each individual frequency.

/Ubbe
/where is there an IFX setting i do not see one anywhere??

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I have dabbled and experimented with the filters in all variations and settings. In my personal configurations, I have found that I do not really need any filters except for when I am trying to DX from a distant county, then 'Invert' seems to help. Like others, my vhf/uhf reception has never been an issue. I have concluded that each user and their radios are unique and individualistic and performance entirely depends on 'location location location' and the proper antenna as previously noted. It's nice to have these filters in your bag of tricks, and know that you have the tools you need in your radio. I guess I am blessed to be in this unique location and really have no use for them. My SDS100 & 200 exceed my monitoring expectations with the accessories I have, just a Diamond 130 discone, good coax, minimal feed distance, and correct settings. There is a lot to be said for the information obtained from the Radio Reference website, which I also consider a main accessory. With each firmware update the SDS scanners only get better, and while sometimes other features are negatively affected when other features are implemented, I realize that it is a fine tuning process that will be tweaked and evened out in the long run and SDS scanner owners will ultimately benefit from the hard work that Uniden engineers put into these radios.

JD
kf4anc

ansky

I'm right outside NYC and I get terrible intermod on all the NYPD frequencies and basically any frequency in the 460-480 MHz range. I have tried every combination of filters and IFX settings and none of them seem to make any difference. If anyone else lives in this area I would like to know what settings you are using.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Although I don't own a SDS-200 (yet) I envision the filters being similar to the VOID button. They might enable a predefined set of frequencies known to cause problems. ie; 88-108MHz FM broadcast band, weather frequencies, pager frequencies, cellular frequencies, possible amateur radio frequencies, C.B., FRS/GMRS, leaky cable TV, some business-band frequencies , etc.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm right outside NYC and I get terrible intermod on all the NYPD frequencies and basically any frequency in the 460-480 MHz range. I have tried every combination of filters and IFX settings and none of them seem to make any difference. If anyone else lives in this area I would like to know what settings you are using.

Sounds possibly like POPSAG pager interference. Contact Bob Par at Par Electronics, he should be able to help you with a notch filter.
  • 454.0125 to 454.5000 (12.5 kHz steps) - shared with land mobile in some cities
  • 462.7500 to 462.9250 (25 kHz steps) - shared with low power land mobile services
  • 467.7500 to 467.9250 (25 kHz steps) - local paging - shared with low power land mobile services
PAR ELECTRONICS SCANNER FILTERS
PAR Electronics | Filters for the commercial 2 way market, MATV, FM broadcast, laboratory, marine industry, amateur radio, scanner and short wave listening enthusiasts

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Sounds possibly like POPSAG pager interference. Contact Bob Par at Par Electronics, he should be able to help you with a notch filter.
  • 454.0125 to 454.5000 (12.5 kHz steps) - shared with land mobile in some cities
  • 462.7500 to 462.9250 (25 kHz steps) - shared with low power land mobile services
  • 467.7500 to 467.9250 (25 kHz steps) - local paging - shared with low power land mobile services
PAR ELECTRONICS SCANNER FILTERS
PAR Electronics | Filters for the commercial 2 way market, MATV, FM broadcast, laboratory, marine industry, amateur radio, scanner and short wave listening enthusiasts

I think you mean Dale Parfitt. ;)

Ubbe

Although I don't own a SDS-200 (yet) I envision the filters being similar to the VOID button. They might enable a predefined set of frequencies known to cause problems. ie; 88-108MHz FM broadcast band, weather frequencies, pager frequencies, cellular frequencies, possible amateur radio frequencies, C.B., FRS/GMRS, leaky cable TV, some business-band frequencies , etc.

No, there are no fixed frequency filters involved.

/Ubbe

ansky

Sounds possibly like POPSAG pager interference.

It's not pager interference. I'll be listening to Newark PD on 460.15 and I can actually hear NYPD (477.xxxx) bleeding into the background. It's happening on a lot of frequencies in this range.

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber

This mirrors my experience. Arizona DPS uses 460.XXX frequencies and the intermod and near-frequency interference is bad. Nothing fixes the issues. Attenuation can help a bit, but severely cuts back on reception from all but the closest sites so it's not worth using here. That's one system I tend to scan with other scanners when possible, and I tend to keep that system turned off with my SDS scanners for the most part. 460 MHz is the worst band for me on the SDS scanners, followed by the civilian air band (severe bleed-over / interference from nearby frequencies there). Although FM VHF suffers some from these issues, it's not nearly as bad as the two specific areas I just mentioned, unlike some who seem to have a heck of a time with VHF on the SDS's.

radio3353

Normal is high pass. Invert is low pass. Wide is wider pass frequency.

That's a start. But, is this information published in the manual, an addendum, on-line or not? That is what would be more helpful than having to read through forum threads to get information like this. Have you noticed people constantly asking about the meaning of the filters (not what they do - what the terms mean)? Thanks.

pfd461

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone can someone fill me in on this ifx setting and where to find this?

Status
Not open for further replies.