SDS200 Hum repaired, but returned

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
If you stick a piece of dynamite in the scanner and light it and it blows up it voids the warranty but no one was talking about that.

You did miss some things.

Several people said modifying or even opening the scanner would void the warranty.

A person posted numerous links with proof that opening, repairing, or modifying the scanner would not void the warranty, that it is illegal for manufacturers to say it would, and that the FTC has sent out warning letters to several companies telling them their warranty policies are illegal.

Several people were embarrassed to be proven wrong so instead of being thankful for being enlightened with the correct information which could be helpful to them, they stated bringing up other things that were never said and trying to make it look like they were right but failing miserably in the process.

Someone said soldering a grounding strap or the mitigation part to essentially eliminate the hum would deteriorate the specs and increase spurious emmissions under FCC Part 15.

Someone posted that the above was more inaccurate information.

That should do it.

I'm beginning to understand now Johnny Cochran :LOL:. You're still wrong but won't fall on the sword. Good luck on your FTC complaint, if you're ever allowed to purchase one. But...don't tell people they won't void their warranty IF their unauthorized modification is determined to have caused damage to any product.

Joe_Blough

Let's await the official word from Uniden whether this "soldering fix" is an authorized modification before you (who still doesn't own an SDS 200) advises others to solder the mitigation part. What you consistently fail to quote is the Uniden warranty which is legal until proven otherwise:

The warranty is invalid if the Product is (A) damaged or not maintained as reasonable or necessary, (B) modified, altered, or used as part of any conversion kits, subassemblies, or any configurations not sold by Uniden.

If someone decides to perform a modification and it damages the components or display etc., you're telling all of us here that this does not void the warranty? If you perform a modification and have no reason to send it in for repair, then no one knows a thing.

But I will call you out when you're providing incorrect information and portraying yourself as an owner who performed one of these modifications and advising unsuspecting owners warranty information. You mentioned it again with a link on the other thread to the "soldering modification post", so yes the train of misinformation continues.

Unauthorized moidifications do not void a warranty. What part of that don't you understand? It's been proven with links. You are allowed to repair, modify, or use components not sold by Uniden.

I have also posted links and quoted text about the FTC sending warning letters to companies with illegal warranty polices but you keep saying Uniden is above the law and their warranty policy takes precedent over the law. Part B of that warranty policy is illegal and I have posted proof with links.

First you say doing unauthorized modifications will void the warranty, which it won't. When you are proven wrong you add the stipulation that if the modification damages components it voids the warranty. When I tell you that is correct but I never said damaging the scanner is covered under warranty you go back to saying unauthorized modifications void the warranty because Uniden says so. Then when I proven Uniden's warranty policy is illegal you go off on a tangent about having to be harmed in order to file a complaint with the FTC.

My part about soldering a grounding strap was actually for the Uniden Engineers since they seem to have trouble with simple electronics fundamentals. The hum problem was reported 6 months ago yet all we have to show for it is a half assed sloppy friction fit half assed gesture which has failed.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Unauthorized moidifications do not void a warranty. What part of that don't you understand? It's been proven with links. You are allowed to repair, modify, or use components not sold by Uniden.

I have also posted links and quoted text about the FTC sending warning letters to companies with illegal warranty polices but you keep saying Uniden is above the law and their warranty policy takes precedent over the law. Part B of that warranty policy is illegal and I have posted proof with links.

First you say doing unauthorized modifications will void the warranty, which it won't. When you are proven wrong you add the stipulation that if the modification damages components it voids the warranty. When I tell you that is correct but I never said damaging the scanner is covered under warranty you go back to saying unauthorized modifications void the warranty because Uniden says so. Then when I proven Uniden's warranty policy is illegal you go off on a tangent about having to be harmed in order to file a complaint with the FTC.

My part about soldering a grounding strap was actually for the Uniden Engineers since they seem to have trouble with simple electronics fundamentals. The hum problem was reported 6 months ago yet all we have to show for it is a half assed sloppy friction fit half assed gesture which has failed.

But...don't tell people they won't void their warranty IF their unauthorized modification is determined to have caused damage to any product.

I guess I have to repeat this over again...

sfb88

Has the law and the FTC interpretation thereof been tested in Federal Court to determine if it imposes an unconstitutional burden on manufacturers' rights of free trade in interstate commerce? If it stands and forces manufacturers to either let anything go and bear the cost of fixing everything under warranty or spent who knows how much time and money to establish proof that the modification or repair damaged the unit, I think the manufacturers should sell the products without any warranty expressed or implied and state that anyone with complaints should thank their politicians.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
My unit has not yet exhibited the hum, I've had it for several months. I bought mine with the mitigation part already installed by Uniden.

I am left wondering if not all of us are capable of hearing the hum? Some have better hearing than others. So, maybe some of us do have the hum, and we just aren't hearing it?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Have we as a group come to the conclusion what exactly is the source of the hum some have and others do not?
From the description from some is sounds like stray RF.
From the description from others it sounds like a vibration.
If we as a group could get along and work toward finding the exact cause then a solution could be found.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Have we as a group come to the conclusion what exactly is the source of the hum some have and others do not?
If we as a group could get along and work toward finding the exact cause then a solution could be found.

I would think Uniden engineering is working on that. I'm wondering about electrical interference as some users are reporting problems after they receive units with the part installed while others aren't.

Joe_Blough

But...don't tell people they won't void their warranty IF their unauthorized modification is determined to have caused damage to any product.

Why are you not telling people that putting a stick of dynamite in the scanner and lighting it will void their warranty? Why are you hiding that.

You specifically said "unauthorized modifications void the warranty". This is not true. When proven to you you changed it to include that part about damage. When I agreed with you then you went back to saying unauthorized modifications void the warranty. You seem to have a problem with people fixing the problem for some reason.

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Why are you not telling people that putting a stick of dynamite in the scanner and lighting it will void their warranty?Wy are you hiding that.

You specifically said "unauthorized modifications void the warranty". This is not true. When proven to you you changed it to include that part about damage. When I agreed with you then you went back to saying unauthorized modifications void the warranty. You seem to have a problem with people fixing the problem for some reason.

Joe_Blough

I guess I have to repeat this over again.

I never said they won't void their warranty if their unauthorized modification is determined to have caused damage. I said they would.

You however did say an unauthorized modification will void the warranty even if it does not cause damage in your reply here which is not true.

You quoted Uniden's illegal warranty policy part B.

"The warranty is invalid if the Product is (A) damaged or not maintained as reasonable or necessary, (B) modified, altered, or used as part of any conversion kits, subassemblies, or any configurations not sold by Uniden."

And again here is proof that part B is illegal.

"The Federal Trade Commission staff has sent warning letters to six major companies that market and sell automobiles, cellular devices, and video gaming systems in the United States."

The letters warn that FTC staff has concerns about the companies’ statements that consumers must use specified parts or service providers to keep their warranties intact. Unless warrantors provide the parts or services for free or receive a waiver from the FTC, such statements generally are prohibited by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a law that governs consumer product warranties. Similarly, such statements may be deceptive under the FTC Act.
Each company used different language, but here are examples of questionable provisions:
  • The use of [company name] parts is required to keep your . . . manufacturer’s warranties and any extended warranties intact.
  • This warranty shall not apply if this product . . . is used with products not sold or licensed by [company name].
  • This warranty does not apply if this product . . . has had the warranty seal on the [product] altered, defaced, or removed.
The FTC does provide examples of warranty terms that violate the rules, and with a little Googling it's easy to figure out likely suspects:
  • Hyundai's warranty states that "the use of Hyundai Genuine Parts is required to keep your Hyundai manufacturer’s warranties and any extended warranties intact."
  • Nintendo's warranty states that "this warranty shall not apply if this product is used with products not sold or licensed by Nintendo."

Last edited:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I never said they won't void their warranty if their unauthorized modification is determined to have caused damage. I said they would.

You however did say an unauthorized modification will void the warranty even if it does not cause damage in your reply here which is not true.

You quoted Uniden's illegal warranty policy part B.

I'll type it slower for you:

But...don't tell people they won't void their warranty IF their unauthorized modification is determined to have caused damageto any product.

File your complaint with the FTC...oh no wait...you still don't own one...
On that note, over and out (y)

radio3353

Is is not a vibration issue. What would be the moving part to cause that much vibration? Based on the design of the mitigation part Uniden put out and the success of bonding the metal shields in the radio it is an electrical noise issue (which can be processor noise, RF, etc.) Uniden engineering needs to do their homework and figure it out at least before releasing another radio, but preferably sooner to take care of current affected SDS200 owners with a fix that works all of the time.

Joe_Blough

I'll type it slower for you:

But...don't tell people they won't void their warranty IF their unauthorized modification is determined to have caused damageto any product.

Show us the message where I told people they won't void their warranty if their unauthorized modification is determined to have caused damage. Either a link or a message number will do. Of course you won't be able to do that because I never said that.

You on the other hand did tell people any unauthorized modification will vod the warranty which is not true. If the unauthorized modification is not determined to have caused damage then the warranty isn't void.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
If they made a major revision to the internal hardware to eliminate the grounding issue on the SDS200, that would open them up to having to REPLACE every single SDS200 that previously shipped...replace or modify and replace internal components to the extent it would be easier and cheaper to just replace the entire unit. I don't see them doing that...perhaps simply adding the improved resolution to the next model or version of the SDS series.

Paul

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
If they made a major revision to the internal hardware to eliminate the grounding issue on the SDS200, that would open them up to having to REPLACE every single SDS200 that previously shipped...replace or modify and replace internal components to the extent it would be easier and cheaper to just replace the entire unit. I don't see them doing that...perhaps simply adding the improved resolution to the next model or version of the SDS series.

Paul

Interesting :unsure:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
This fix for the hum looks much cleaner than previous ones I have seen posted. He was able to find a point on the display shield that was meant for solder.

Status
Not open for further replies.