SDS200 optional-optimal-software/tips/tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasha

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, I got one on a whim a bit ago. I don't have nearly the amount of time to spend on the various communications hobbies anymore, so my research is pretty surface level. I was wondering if there are owners with "must have" things for it that might come across this, or some quick tips, or anyone that rocks a linux distro for example, for either native software to use within it, or how to get WINE to play nice enough to see applications like the sentinel software correctly.

Thanks!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Hi & welcome to the RR forums:
Have a look at the easier to read SDS100 & SDS200 manual here. I'd also recommend searching the forum (click here for search results flagged with the SDS200 prefix). Contained within are frequently asked questions, some feedback, accessories & much more. I run Linux Mint myself, have never had success running Sentinel natively via Wine so I have a Windows VM I use for all of my programming apps, works great for me. I highly recommend Proscan over Sentinel for programming, though the latter is required for firmware upgrades

MStep

Just curious, I got one on a whim a bit ago. I don't have nearly the amount of time to spend on the various communications hobbies anymore, so my research is pretty surface level. I was wondering if there are owners with "must have" things for it that might come across this, or some quick tips, or anyone that rocks a linux distro for example, for either native software to use within it, or how to get WINE to play nice enough to see applications like the sentinel software correctly.

Thanks!

The SDS200 is a great receiver with many flexible programming configurations. I've used Proscan on previous radios, and it is a fine program, but I would suggest that you get familiarized with Sentinel before getting involved with other programs. Not sure about WINE with Sentinel. For folks that are intimidated by Sentinel, I recommend that your program in 4 or 5 conventional frequencies into the radio manually, and then "reverse engineer" the Sentinel operation by reading your radio into the Sentinel program to see how it "sets up".

Status
Not open for further replies.