SDS200 vs SDS100

10-43

Premium Subscriber
I already own the SDS100. Is the receiver performance of the SDS200 virtually the same as the SDS100, or is there any improvement? I currently use my SDS100 mobile with GPS. Is there any advantage to the SDS200 with GPS as a mobile over the SDS100, other than the obvious larger display and louder audio?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I already own the SDS100. Is the receiver performance of the SDS200 virtually the same as the SDS100, or is there any improvement? I currently use my SDS100 mobile with GPS. Is there any advantage to the SDS200 with GPS as a mobile over the SDS100, other than the obvious larger display and louder audio?
You don't have to worry about USB voltage being too low

Ubbe

I already own the SDS100. Is the receiver performance of the SDS200 virtually the same as the SDS100, or is there any improvement?
They are using the same receiver chip and DSP but the RF components in a SDS200 are more spread out and doesn't interfere as much with each other, so logically there should be a slight improvement in SDS200 when it comes to "birdies" and those kind of false signal receptions that makes decoding of data signals worse, forcing you to use IFX and change filter settings.

/Ubbe

10-43

Premium Subscriber
They are using the same receiver chip and DSP but the RF components in a SDS200 are more spread out and doesn't interfere as much with each other, so logically there should be a slight improvement in SDS200 when it comes to "birdies" and those kind of false signal receptions that makes decoding of data signals worse, forcing you to use IFX and change filter settings.

/Ubbe
Thanks Ubbe. I am a bit compelled to get an SDS200. The SDS100 does well in the car, but the display is small and if I keep using it mobile, I will want to install an amplified speaker. I also have a BCD325P2 which I use for non simulcast P25 and conventional. It works very well for that, and has the least intermod and birdie issues of any handheld scanner I have had, especially in civilian and military airbands. The SDS100 does fair for conventional, but usually very well for any trunking and especially for simulcast. I wish Uniden had done much better on the broadband receiver. I got rid of a BCD436HP. It worked pretty well, but didn't receive as well as the BCD325P2. I miss the HP part of the 436, but not the washed out display, flimsy cabinet and crappy audio. The 436 is definately not worth the current new selling price. So for mobile use I have been considering the SDS200. It would be nice to know what Uniden may be coming out with in the next couple years. The SDS scanners need a reboot.

10-43

Premium Subscriber
With the 200, no swollen batteries, no cold solder issues, no channel knob malfunctions, no USB port failures, no broken battery latches.
So not much of a difference.
I have been fortunate with a good unit. The larger display and better audio are attracting me to the SDS200. But quite an expense to consider. I have been sort of holding off for a reboot of the SDS scanners but how long is that going to be! A long time if sales are good enough and current technology doesn't change in the commercial industry to require different demodulation.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I had an SDS 100 which I attempted to use mobile. Always said USB voltage was low, Couldn't hear it very well kinda sucked. SDS 200 is louder and no issues with battery or charging. If you just want to carry a scanner around the SDS 100 with a good 800 MHz antenna is awesome for local P25 simulcast systems.

bearcatrp

The SDS200 will serve you well. Mounting is the issue for me but would put a 200 in my truck before getting the 100 that has to many issues to spend the money on.

10-43

Premium Subscriber
I had an SDS 100 which I attempted to use mobile. Always said USB voltage was low, Couldn't hear it very well kinda sucked. SDS 200 is louder and no issues with battery or charging. If you just want to carry a scanner around the SDS 100 with a good 800 MHz antenna is awesome for local P25 simulcast systems

I never get low USB voltage. I am using the Uniden GPS which also supplies power to the SDS100. Audio is loud enough with it sitting in the cup holder, but not always clear enough.

HansV075

I have both the SDS100 and SDS200. The SDS200 has a better reception quality and is slightly more user friendly in the use of the menu structure. But it has a poorly designed on/off switch in the volume dial. The sound quality of the SDS200 is better. I bought the SDS100 before the SDS200 and in retrospective I should have bought the SDS200 in the first place. Both require a good antenna and are not really useful as handheld devices. But I am happy to use both of them at home. The SDS100 is usually scanning and the SDS200 searching.

Ubbe

The SDS100 does well in the car, but the display is small and if I keep using it mobile, I will want to install an amplified speaker.
Maybe you can use a mobile phone, or tablet, as a display, and zoom in on the important text to make it easier to read. External speaker are probably needed in a vehicle and also extra amplifier when driving at high speed.

/Ubbe

10-43

Premium Subscriber
Maybe you can use a mobile phone, or tablet, as a display, and zoom in on the important text to make it easier to read. External speaker are probably needed in a vehicle and also extra amplifier when driving at high speed.

/Ubbe
Thanks. I hadn't seen that. I'll try it out. I think I have an OTG cable somewhere.

10-43

Premium Subscriber
I have both the SDS100 and SDS200. The SDS200 has a better reception quality and is slightly more user friendly in the use of the menu structure. But it has a poorly designed on/off switch in the volume dial. The sound quality of the SDS200 is better. I bought the SDS100 before the SDS200 and in retrospective I should have bought the SDS200 in the first place. Both require a good antenna and are not really useful as handheld devices. But I am happy to use both of them at home. The SDS100 is usually scanning and the SDS200 searching.
Thanks. I'm pretty much decided to get an SDS200, but I will have to budget it in.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking about getting this scanner. i'm really new to all of this but do you know how many control channels the scanner can monitor at once? like say a p25 control channel can you only listen to one site at a time? or does it scan those sites? again i'm new. Thanks

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
I'm thinking about getting this scanner. i'm really new to all of this but do you know how many control channels the scanner can monitor at once? like say a p25 control channel can you only listen to one site at a time? or does it scan those sites? again i'm new. Thanks
The scanner can only connect to one control channel at a time, and it can scan sites.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
The scanner can only connect to one control channel at a time, and it can scan sites.
yeah i was just wondering for such a expensive scanner for example if i use several rtl-sdr dongles i could lock onto multiple control channels and hear them so the sds100 can not do that?