SDS200 vs SDS100

W6KRU

Premium Subscriber
yeah i was just wondering for such a expensive scanner for example if i use several rtl-sdr dongles i could lock onto multiple control channels and hear them so the sds100 can not do that?
Yes, but no. Just because the dongles can monitor multiple systems doesn't mean you can listen to them. I can turn on multiple scanners and scan a lot of systems simultaneously but I can't listen to all of them. I can end up with so much happening, I have no idea what is happening and have to start turning things off to listen to the most important. Even one scanner can be too much sometimes.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
I've had both for several years now. I would buy the 200 first. The 100 would now be a pass for me because I don't go out RF sniffing like I thought I might.

dmfalk

One makes a good base/home scanner, while the other is a great portable. Other than a few mostly-cosmetic/functional differences, there isn't that much different between the two.

AngWay

Premium Subscriber
Yes, but no. Just because the dongles can monitor multiple systems doesn't mean you can listen to them. I can turn on multiple scanners and scan a lot of systems simultaneously but I can't listen to all of them. I can end up with so much happening, I have no idea what is happening and have to start turning things off to listen to the most important. Even one scanner can be too much somo

Yes, but no. Just because the dongles can monitor multiple systems doesn't mean you can listen to them. I can turn on multiple scanners and scan a lot of systems simultaneously but I can't listen to all of them. I can end up with so much happening, I have no idea what is happening and have to start turning things off to listen to the most important. Even one scanner can be too much sometimes.
yeah i guess your right on that . Thanks

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
yeah i was just wondering for such a expensive scanner for example if i use several rtl-sdr dongles i could lock onto multiple control channels and hear them so the sds100 can not do that?
No, the SDS scanners cannot connect to more than one control channel at the same time. This means one system and one site, and then it moves on to next site (or system/site, or conventional channel) after no more channel grants are received within dwell time.

TGuelker

Retired ASE CMAT L1 MRRT
Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I'm pretty much decided to get an SDS200, but I will have to budget it in.

Amazon will knock off $100 if you open a credit card with them. Haven’t found it lower anywhere. Buy the scanner, put it on the card then pay the card off.

10-43

Premium Subscriber
There is only one receiver in the SDS scanners. The SDS100 scans system repeater sites in the target system and stops on the site when there is any activity if the system is set to ID Search, or if set to ID Scan it stops to monitor a TG ID matching one in the department list. Scan speed is good if there is a small number of sites being scanned in the system. Maybe 3 or 4. Beyond that more activity gets missed. If connected to a GPS, or a set location is used with location based scanning, it will turn on sites within the set range. GPS works very well for me mobile with a system containing 242 repeater sites. Location/GPS scanning needs a small bit of tweaking for best performance on each system.

Last edited:

Ubbe

SDS100 can sample a whole 2.88MHz frequency range like it does in waterfall mode and instantly monitor any signal. So in theory it could monitor several control channels at the same time within that 2.88MHz span if the DSP and CPU where powerful enough to handle the decoding process. But processing power are probably not sufficient to handle that kind of operation. Maybe Unidens next family of top end scanners can use a much more powerful processor but still not need any more battery power than now, or allow dual watch mode when on external power.

For analog conventional it could probably do dual watch right now and instantly go from one active channel to the next active one that have been found during background scanning while monitoring the first channel.

/Ubbe