sensitive scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrolman123

Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2004
Messages
276
Reaction score
1
Location
Baltimore, Maryland
I wasnt sure where to put this thread so I thought Id start off with my scanner friends in Maryland. What do you think is a sensitive or the most sensitive scanner out there?
Can you make a scanner more sensitive?
 

TinEar

Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2003
Messages
6,658
Reaction score
1
Location
Glen Burnie, Maryland
That's a really difficult question to get a good answer. The reason is that people become prejudiced toward the scanners they own. You can only reasonably compare radios you currently own or have recently owned and used them on the same set of signals in the same area. For instance, I rate the Uniden 785 above anything I own or have ever owned. The 780 is a close second - on some signals in some frequency ranges. That's why I own five 785s. But not even all radios of the same model have identical sensitivity. Two of my 785s can run circles around the other three and clearly hear signals where the others don't - and these are on the same antenna being fed through an active multicoupler. I've had a Uniden 796 sitting right here on that same antenna and it couldn't hear what my 785s do. For all I know it could have been a badly adjusted 796 because other people swear by them. The 396 is not a fair comparison because it's a handheld but I know of at least one 396 that was dragged around this area specifically trying to hear MilAir and it was practically deaf. I've also had the Radio Shack PRO-96 and 2096 hooked to this same antenna and the 2096 was awful and the 96 did a fine job. All of that is to say that getting a good answer to your question is next to impossible - except perhaps from someone that owns all the newer Radio Shack and Uniden scanners and uses them in the same location against the same set of signals. You could always simply compare sensitivity numbers on various freq ranges published by the manufacturers for each of their models to make your comparison - if that really means anything. Finally, yes, a radio can be fine tuned for better sensitivity but finding someone to do it is where you run into a problem. Sorry for being so long-winded, as usual.
 
Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Joined
Jul 22, 2002
Messages
25,906
Reaction score
2,592
Location
Bowie, Md.
The other side of the coin is that if a scanner is TOO sensitive, it might be desensed by the usual crud that runs around any urban environment; pagers, bady adjusted Taxi transmitters, ect. The same kind of problem would exist on aircraft where you would get mixing from those sources, and maybe more - such as AM or FM transmitters.
So quite apart from circuit design (which in and of itself is a whole 'nother ballgame) there are definite practical limits to just how far you can make a scanner more sensitive. 73s Mike
 

bear105

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
357
Reaction score
0
I agree with all the reponses so far, but would like to bring a small point. The most super-sensative receiver in the world is useless without a decent antenna. Investing even a few dollars on an outside antenna will make a HUGE difference over the rubber-ducky or telescoping whips that come with the radio.

Sure, I'd love to put up a discone on the roof, but with a Home Owners Association and their stupid restrictions, I have to hide a small dipole on the back of my house. Not the best solution but so much better than nothing.

Not a sermon...just a thought.
 

Llwellyn

Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
487
Reaction score
0
Location
Brooklyn, Maryland
bear105 said:
Sure, I'd love to put up a discone on the roof, but with a Home Owners Association and their stupid restrictions, I have to hide a small dipole on the back of my house. Not the best solution but so much better than nothing.

Check into the FCC regulations; I know there are statutory mandates for cable TV and satellite that say they have to let you put up an antenna or dish; I don't know whether amateur gets the same bennies of that legislation or not.

bear105 said:
Not a sermon...just a thought.

That guy's commercials crack me up!
 

Al42

Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2005
Messages
3,457
Reaction score
0
Location
Long Island, NY, USA
Llwellyn said:
Check into the FCC regulations; I know there are statutory mandates for cable TV and satellite that say they have to let you put up an antenna or dish; I don't know whether amateur gets the same bennies of that legislation or not.
PRB1 says that local governments must accommodate hams - it doesn't say that they must accommodate people who want to receive satellite signals or use scanners.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top