Sensitivity better on ham radio

nickwilson159

Feed Provider
Well, if money isn't an option, a Kenwood NX-700 (EOL'd) or a NX-3720 would be a good option. Those will do NXDN and analog.
NX-3720 all day. Between myself & a few friends, we've had close to 10 different NX-700s from various sources - all had pretty poor RX when compared to the TK-7180 & other analog-only Kenwood radios. The current generation of NX-3720s, NX-5700s, etc. have the best receivers & audio quality I've ever heard on a Kenwood (and I'm specifically talking on the analog rail band).

ArtU

Kenwood publishes the specs over the whole range of its extended receive. This is for the TM-D710GA I used to also monitor other things then just Hamms.

1630868067631.png

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager
Super Moderator
Kenwood publishes the specs over the whole range of its extended receive.
You may have missed the beginning of the specifications where it says "Guaranteed range" and limits that range to 144 - 148 MHz.
1630879735873.png

thesavo

Feed Provider
This has been a good discussion. Thanks to all to have contributed.
The icom ic-f320S arrived Tuesday and programming cables should arrive today. I have setup a dedicated programming system running windows XP-SP3 system ready to go. The Icom CS300s software from AME Radio (not a sponsor) opens and runs. As expected, the software will not even open on a w10 system.
This will be my radio programming station going forward. Chirp runs too so even my baofeng UV-5R can be programmed from this machine. It has an on-board RS-232 port though the programming cable set I ordered is over USB. So we will see if that works as well.

I will get frequencies loaded today and check how it sounds. I will be looking for more of these radios in the future. They are nice and compact units compared with others I have seen. The Kenwood units mentioned above still fetch over $50 on ebay. There is a local hamfest on Sunday and I will see what is available there too. $50 per unit is my firm ceiling on these as they are only used for receiving. The F320 units with displays are over $80 currently.

ratboy

Most of the ham handhelds I've had have been much better receivers for railband than my scanners have been. I have a Yaesu VX-170 that not only is a great all around radio, it's metal and the battery life on receive is amazing. Loud audio, too. I used to have an Icom IC2000 in my car, and that worked really well too.