Sentinel - Display Names For Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolant113

I am gonna try my best to describe what I am looking to do, forgive me if it is not clear enough.
Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 7.44.15 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-11-17 at 7.37.16 PM.png

On my SDS100/200&536HP, when I am scanning and it locks onto a channel under a county's conventional system the channel name shows up with the sorts of "Municipalities - (Town)" or "Local Fire/EMS - (Town or County)" as you can see in the attached photo. It is very annoying to me because it cuts off what town or agency it is. I was wondering if there was an easier way to turn that off from displaying because it takes up too much space. I am aware that I can go through the list in Sentinel and edit each one individually but that is a daunting task with so many different systems that are programmed. I also included a screenshot of Sentinel showing what I did to one of the lists manually. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Just a thought.....

When I want to do mass edits, I use Proscan's search and replace function for it.

Pretty much. Saves so much time using ProScan. Sentinel is dreadfully tedious in comparison.

Has a free trial... might be worthwhile to download your systems off your scanner into ProScan. Under "utilities", hit replace. Maybe change "Municipalities" to just "Mun."

wbloss

Human
Database Admin
Or MAYBE RR could used some standard abbreviations instead of such verbose language in all its nomenclature

tvengr

Well Known Member
I edit all of my alpha tags using Excel. You have to limit the alpha tag characters to 24 on the SDS100 detail screens to avoid them from being cut off. Here is a Morris County file that I did. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Go to the File tab in Sentinel and click on Import from hpe file (Favorites List). Click on New Favorites List. Name it Morris Co NJ and click OK. Highlight the extracted file (Morris Co NJ.hpe) and click on Open. It will appear as a favorites list in Sentinel.

Attachments

• Morris Co NJ.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

RBMTS

To the OP - since it does not appear that anyone has already mentioned this:
You can change the names, departments, virtually anything in your favorite lists. However you can't change the names/titles in the full db.

(Before anyone jumps on my comment - technically you can change the full master DB if you know the file to edit - but they will simply revert back to the original text listings the next time you perform a DB update)

Last edited:

Ubbe

(Before anyone jumps on my comment - technically you can change the full master DB if you know the file to edit - but they will simply revert back to the original text listings the next time you perform a DB update)
I had the impression that updates only change the records it affects, not the whole database. But if that are not true then the following will not work:

Each item in the DB has a reference number and when a change happens it will only download that reference number and everything else stays untouched.

Both the DataBase and Favorite lists are textfiles, that you can import in Excel or just use Notepad and use the Search&Replace function to alter any names for you. If the DB updates from Uniden with new info for one of the items you have edited it will overwrite only that item.

In Sentinel/Tools/Option you will see where the data are stored and can copy that link to Windows Explorer to find the database and your favorite lists. In the Favorite folder you will have the f_list.cfg textfile where it says what file that belongs to each favorite list. The database should be in the profile folder. If not then it is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Uniden\BCDx36HP Sentinel\HPDB

The database folder will have one s_00000xxx.hpd textfile for each state and to see what state that belongs to what file you look in the hpdb.cfg file.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.