Sentinel will not start under Windows 11

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
I have attempted to install Uniden Sentinel x36 on my new Windows 11 laptop. The installer runs, but when I try any tactic to start the program (click on desktop link, click in Start Menu, double click in Explorer), nothing happens. No error messages. Sentinel just does not start.

I have verified that I have Execute permissions on all links and on the executable.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I have attempted to install Uniden Sentinel x36 on my new Windows 11 laptop. The installer runs, but when I try any tactic to start the program (click on desktop link, click in Start Menu, double click in Explorer), nothing happens. No error messages. Sentinel just does not start.

I have verified that I have Execute permissions on all links and on the executable.

It's an occasional issue that Sentinel's "user.config" file becomes corrupted and will prevent Sentinel from starting and running after it's installed.

Try this... (If this doesn't fix the issue, it won't cause any harm) :

Before trying to run Sentinel again, go to Windows Explorer and look for this folder on your computer:

C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\Uniden

In that folder, you will see a sub-folder that begins with "BCDx36HP_Sentinel.exe_Url_"

Delete that entire sub-folder (it contains the "user.config" file).... be sure you are deleting just that specific sub folder. That sub folder does not get deleted when you un-install Sentinel, so if the "user.config" file in there is corrupted, it will still be there (and corrupted) when you just try re-installing Sentinel.

Re-start Sentinel... When Sentinel starts, it will re-write a new folder to replace the one that you deleted, and a fresh "user.config" file will be in that folder.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
It's an occasional issue that Sentinel's "user.config" file becomes corrupted and will prevent Sentinel from starting and running after it's installed.

Try this... (If this doesn't fix the issue, it won't cause any harm) :

Before trying to run Sentinel again, go to Windows Explorer and look for this folder on your computer:

C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\Uniden

In that folder, you will see a sub-folder that begins with "BCDx36HP_Sentinel.exe_Url_"

Delete that entire sub-folder (it contains the "user.config" file).... be sure you are deleting just that specific sub folder. That sub folder does not get deleted when you un-install Sentinel, so if the "user.config" file in there is corrupted, it will still be there (and corrupted) when you just try re-installing Sentinel.

Re-start Sentinel... When Sentinel starts, it will re-write a new folder to replace the one that you deleted, and a fresh "user.config" file will be in that folder.
Thanks. I will give that a try when I get home.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
I think the installer does not complete on Windows 11. There is no Uniden directory in AppData, nor is there a user.cfg anywhere on the drive.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I think the installer does not complete on Windows 11. There is no Uniden directory in AppData, nor is there a user.cfg anywhere on the drive.

Do you get any error messages that say .NET 2.0 is needed when running the Sentinel installer?

Also, if you searched your drive for "user.cfg", try searching the drive for "user.config"..... that's the file in question.

Are you looking in "C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\Local\Uniden"

Last edited:

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
I get no error messages during installation or when I attempt to start the program.

I sent a message to Uniden support.

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
You’ll need to check Windows event logs and find out what is going on. No way Uniden will be able to help you given what you have provided here.

There is an error/exception somewhere to provide a clue as to what is happening.

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
Per suggestions here and responses from Uniden, I have ensured that .NET is installed and fully enabled, tried various install methods (setup.exe as Administrator and not, and the .msi installer), tried various methods of starting Sentinel (as Admin and not), and still cannot get a response from Sentinel after it is "installed successfully" in Windows 11. I also still have the same missing subdirectories under AppData/Local.
I also tried the Repair option in the .msi installer.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Per suggestions here and responses from Uniden, I have ensured that .NET is installed and fully enabled, tried various install methods (setup.exe as Administrator and not, and the .msi installer), tried various methods of starting Sentinel (as Admin and not), and still cannot get a response from Sentinel after it is "installed successfully" in Windows 11. I also still have the same missing subdirectories under AppData/Local.
I also tried the Repair option in the .msi installer.

There was one instance similar to yours a while back where the .NET 2.0 was installed but had become corrupted causing Sentinel not to run after being installed. The following procedure was successful in getting his Sentinel to run.

To repair Windows .NET framework..... in the Windows search bar, search for "features", and then click on "turn Windows features on or off".

Once that window populates, look at the checkbox next to ".NET Framework 3.5 (Includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)”.... it's usually the first line in the features window. Un-check that box, click "ok" and reboot the computer.

Now go back to the same area noted above and re-check the box for ".NET Framework 3.5 (Includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)”. Click ok and reboot the computer again. Now see if Sentinel will run.

If that doesn't help, you'll need to start tracking down other suspects that may be blocking Sentinel such as anti-virus software, firewall settings etc.

G7RUX

Windows 11 has been troublesome when installing and using "untrusted" applications. Two things to look at in Setting are "Smart App Control" and also "Controlled Folder Access" in "Ransomeware Protection."

Other users have reported success with this issue by looking variously to disable these features.