Serial Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimNS3K

Premium Subscriber
After you plug the USB cable into the scanner can someone tell me what key to press to get into serial mode. Probably an easy question but one I can not figure out.

Thanks in advance

Jim

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
After you plug the USB cable into the scanner can someone tell me what key to press to get into serial mode. Probably an easy question but one I can not figure out.

Thanks in advance

Jim

What does the message on the screen say when you plug in the cable?

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
Press the "NO/." button and that puts you in the serial mode. When I just did it though Windows 7 and up and asked for the driver for he BCD536HP. I think I read in an earlier post that Uniden has not released the serial drivers for the BCD536HP yet.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
When I hit the No/. button the scanner just goes back to scanning. it does not ask for any drivers. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Jim

I get the same result.

NYRHKY94

FYI - After you hit the .No button on the scanner, go to Device Manager in Windows Control Panel and you should see a yellow exclamation point next to the newly created Uniden Com Port. Right click on that and choose update driver. Then use the browse option to find the
uniden_usbser.inf file that you previously unzipped (you'll need to know where you extracted
the serial zip files. After you choose the uniden_usber.inf file and click next, a new Com port will be created called Uniden Serial Port. If it's anything like the HP-1 serial port, it is intended for streaming audio using the new scanners.

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
One thing I noticed is that after I loaded the drivers and rebooted my machine latter in the day it didn't see the scanner even though it is hooked up. Do Is there a way on the scanner to keep it in the serial mode all of the time? I didn't turn the scanner off during this time.

NYRHKY94

Not sure, but I believe after a reboot you would need to re-insert the USB cable in the scanner again and hit the .No button to re-establish serial mode. Once in serial mode, it will stay that way until you pull the USB cable out etc.

NYRHKY94

NOTE: For those of you who are going to try to stream a feed using the new BCD536HP, when using the headphone jack for the audio the bad hissing/white noise issue will be present. Uniden is aware of this issue and is in the process of putting together a recall of the bad units. There is no Line Out/REC jack on the new unit (like the previous Unidens), so running a feed with these can only be done with either the headphone jack or external speaker (not recommended by RR).

Last edited:

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
Not sure, but I believe after a reboot you would need to re-insert the USB cable in the scanner again and hit the .No button to re-establish serial mode. Once in serial mode, it will stay that way until you pull the USB cable out etc.

Well that's useless. I have had my past Uniden scanners hooked up to the serial ports on my Windows machine and had no problems. I use the connection to control the scanners and change programming. I my BCD536HP hooked up via a serial port now. If I have to connect an USB cable to the scanner to run virtual control that is not good.

My scanners are about 8' away from my Windows computer so having to keep it connected via the USB cable is not an option.

NYRHKY94

nr2d:

Please note I could be wrong here, as I'm just a new user like everybody else. The manual does not address how to use the serial port for streaming/control so I'm flying blind here giving out advice. Just trying to help where I can. Uniden will have to clarify what we can and can't do with the serial port. Just want to clarify...

Thanks

nr2d

Premium Subscriber
nr2d:

Please note I could be wrong here, as I'm just a new user like everybody else. The manual does not address how to use the serial port for streaming/control so I'm flying blind here giving out advice. Just trying to help where I can. Uniden will have to clarify what we can and can't do with the serial port. Just want to clarify...

Thanks

Don't apologize. I know that when I got BCD996T all I did was
connect it to my compute's serial port and using the Butel software I was able to program the scanner and control it via the same computer. I tried a beta version of some software and it also required an USB connection.

I would think if Uniden put a serial port on the scanner I should be able to at least program the scanner through it. I currently remove the micro-SD card and plug it in to my computer for any changes. A bit annoying but I can live with it. I just would like to have that capability.

I guess right now the serial port basically does nothing. I'm hope that when Butel comes out with their software for the BCD536HP it will utilize the serial port.

Status
Not open for further replies.