• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Setting up scan on a CP200D

jkelleyus

Morning, all. I am the plant engineer for a small factory and we're exploring programming scan mode into our CP200D radios. The current setup has a repeater and 5 talk-around channels. Unfortunately, our dealer retired during the pandemic and we haven't established a relationship with a new one (as of now), so this is a DIY project. I have the Motorla programming software (CPS 2.0) and correct cable, and can read/write to the radios.

Top Selector switch is programmed to send on both repeater channels (emergency) on position 1, repeater channel 1 is on selector switch position 2, repeater channel 2 is on selector switch 3 and the remaining talk-around channels are on selector switch positions 4-8.

My question is concerning how to program one of the side buttons to scan both repeater channels and I'm unsure how to do it. I think what's confusing me is the current setup (with switch positioon 1 - emergency) as there's already a scan list in the programming. Also, the lower side button is already programmed to turn scan mode off/on. Although I've seen several videos on programming scan on these radios, none of them seem to include our specific setup.

I'm hoping someone here can walk me through the process. I'd sure appreciate any assistance. Thanks!!!

K2NEC

If the bottom side button is programmed to scan, you must select the scan list in the personality and then assign the channel to the scan list.

jkelleyus

If the bottom side button is programmed to scan, you must select the scan list in the personality and then assign the channel to the scan list.
Thanks. This is a digital system so I don't see 'personalities'. The setup looks like the screenshot in attachment. Thank you again!!

Attachments

• CPSShell_qR9XiQhrEM.png
    CPSShell_qR9XiQhrEM.png
    187.2 KB · Views: 98

K2NEC

Do you have those channels assigned in the scan list?

jkelleyus

Thanks again!!

Here's how the scan list is set up. Do I just need to move 'Repeater 1' and 'Repeater 2' into members?

Attachments

• CPSShell_LlxBkLW5TZ.png
    CPSShell_LlxBkLW5TZ.png
    80.5 KB · Views: 13

jkelleyus

Thank you. I've just done that and written it out to the radio. Now I'll just need to listen and test. Stay tuned (pun intended!!!).

jkelleyus

So, I haved the test radio set up as noted here... and now the radio appears to be scanning the repeater channels but I can't turn the scan on or off. I've also included a screen shot of the button programming, as I'm not certain the button is doing anything.

Thanks again for all the help!!

Attachments

• CPSShell_aIHJa6flXZ.png
    CPSShell_aIHJa6flXZ.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 8
  • CPSShell_Wny9DS4h4L.png
    CPSShell_Wny9DS4h4L.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 9

K2NEC

Uncheck Auto Scan here:
cpsshell_qr9xiqhrem-png.166915

jkelleyus

Thanks, I wondered about that but the dealer who programmed these radios originally had them set up so that if we're on selector channel 1 the traffic will go out to both repeater channels. This is intended for emergency situations and is functionality I need to keep. Won't unchecking that disable this functionality?

RadioGuy7268

You have the individual channels set to "auto scan". That means the radio will automatically & always scan when on that individual channel. (in your case - every single channel position!) Remove the auto-scan tick if you wish to allow user to select scanning on a case by case (channel by channel) basis.

If you do have a particular channel that should always be in scan mode - then you can certainly leave the auto-scan feature enabled for that channel. Your idea of the traffic "going out" to both channels indicates that the All Call / broadcast TG ID of 16777215 is being used - and then both time slots are being scanned for that 'emergency' function. Not exactly the best way to do it IMHO, but ensures that both time slots are now dedicated for the ongoing emergency (and nothing else).

I'd want the ability to get off of the "emergency" channel & not be sucked into every conversation - if & when necessary.

jkelleyus

Thank you. Maybe I'm not explaining the current setup correctly (or not understanding your reply (-;. Here's how things work today:

The CP200D has a channel selector switch with 16 positions on the top of the radio. The switch positions are as follows:

1. Emergency - transmit on both repeater time slots.
2. Repeater 1 - Time slot 1.
3. Repeater 1 - Time slot 2.
4 - 8. Talk-around channels.

Because we have 30 - 40 radios I don't want to modify this functionality that users have come to expect. With that said, our desire is to program a button so that say, if a user has poisiton 2 selected, they can hear and talk-back to traffic on time slot 2 (with the ability to turn this on/off through the button.

I hope I've been more clear and thank you all for the help!!!

RadioGuy7268

I do not believe your channel 1 'emergency' group is actually transmitting on both time slots. The radio is likely transmitting an "all call" Talkgroup ID, which will be received on any radio on that timeslot (along with any radio that is auto-scanning that time slot). The radios are likely programmed with talk-back on the Scan list.

It gives the functionality that anyone transmitting on Channel 1 is going to be heard by anyone parked on Channel 2 or channel 3. It also means that in an 'emergency' use, both channels 2 & 3 will be effectively swallowed up by a single conversation. Kind of a waste of the 2nd time slot. Better to use time slot 1 for the emergency, and have the ability to steer off traffic to the 2nd time slot for non-emergency comm's.

The radio appears to be transmitting to both channels at once, but if you removed the tick from 'auto-scan' on a few example radios & tried it out, you would see that it's likely just transmitting on time slot 1 - and the radio's programming was using auto-scan to pick up the time slot 1 transmission on other channels.

Note: Some of the CCR Chinese DMR radios did broadcast the All Call ID on both timeslots. Motorola did not do it that way. Motorola also did not allow for a 'promiscuous mode' to scan all talkgroup ID's on a particular frequency/timeslot.

jkelleyus

The emergency switch position (1) can be received on position 2 and position 3, but does not receive anything that I’m aware of. I assume, but I do not know, that comms sent via position 1 sent to both tome slots. Is there a particular area of the software setup that I can post to help me better understand this.

Again, thanks so much for the help! I’d be happy to send anyone (privately) the code plug file for you to review.

jkelleyus

In looking further it's obvious that the 'emergency' selection position 1 is transmitting on time slot 1, so RadioGuy7268 is correct. Thanks! I think I'm starting to better understand this. I get that 'auto-scan' is what's allowing the radios to hear anything transmitted via either time slot, but why does this only work if the channel selector is on position 1 and position 2 and 3 only hear traffic on the respective (selected) slot?
We have no issues with emergency position 1 'swallowing up' both slots as that's the intent.

This is not like a typical public agency utilization case: we are a small plant with 30 or 40 portables. Our operations team uses repeater slot 1 and maintenace uses slot 2. The ONLY time the emergency or 'all call' selector switch position is used is for REAL EMERGENCIES (think of a serious injury in the plant, fire, weather threat, etc). This is functionality that we need to keep in some way. Does anyone have suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Thanks again for your help, folks. I very much appreciate you!!