SFPD help

Status
Not open for further replies.

skunkhaze

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I was wondering if SFPD is still using a Analog/P25 mixed interface? I'm trying to help a friend pick out a scanner for him. It sounds like the same system we have in San Diego County, which is a 800mhz Type II analog/p25. Which means he needs at least a 996T to monitor

Also, I heard SFPD is encrypted. I read a post referring to it as SFO PD? Or is that airport police.

thanks.

Last edited:

inigo88

California DB Admin
Database Admin
Airport police is encrypted on their separate 700 MHz P25 system. The rest of the City/County of San Francisco is on a mixed analog/digital Type II 800 MHz Smartzone system. However just like San Diego's city system (not RCS), the PD is mostly analog, and the few digital talk groups they have are also always encrypted, so it's a moot point. Also like San Diego, since they already have a 700 MHz digital P25 system operational, they will probably be moving operations to it in the not too distant future. Therefore it would make more sense for your friend to save up now and get a digital scanner rather than spending even more money on a new one down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.