• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Shack advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
Looking to set up my own shack looking for suggestions on Power Supplies want to run 2 Uniden Sds200 scanners and 1 dual band mobile on a base set up for sure. Possibly a second mobile Xpr 5550 for use on a ambulance companies dmr system with their premission Of course. I am considering this power supply Powerwerx SS-30DV DC Power Power Supplies Fixed, SS30DV probably with a west mountain rig runner like this West Mountain Radio 58320-1749 West Mountain Radio RIGrunner DC Outlet Panels | DX Engineering What are everyone’s thoughts I obviously won’t be transmitting on both at the same time and may just continue to use my Xpr7550E portable for the ambulance company. This is my first actual shack May consider a addtional scanner instead for the vhf/uhf and weather stuff or just a weather alert radio but I can plug that in a wall wort. Am I going to have enough power? What concerns should I be aware of having so many radios close together I assume I will need to turn the scanners down or off when transmitting on the dual band? Although the scanners will be monitoring strictly 700/800 MHz 95 percent of the time. The Philadelphia and Montgomery and Chester county systems and of course Delaware county when it finally goes 700mhz. I will be using a outdoor antenna still looking at options for both the scanner and a separate dual band for the mobile. Any and all advice is appreciated

KC3ECJ

I think you'll be alright having the scanners close to the transceiver.

But keep the antennas far apart, low loss coax also helps.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Antenna separation with the transmitter on one side of the house and the scanners on the other should be plenty.
Carefully look at the different coaxial cable options before making a choice. You can use online coax calculators to compare the losses between different types/lengths/frequencies.

For the power supply, I'd consider something in the 30 amp range. That'll give you plenty of juice to run the two scanners, plus the dual band transceiver, plus capacity to run the DMR radio if you want. Unlikely you'd ever be transmitting with both at the same time (unless one is on a trunked system). Even with two transceivers, you'd have plenty of room. If you ever decide to get an HF rig, 30 amps will cover it plus the other radios in RX mode just fine. I've never used PowerWerx power supplies, so not sure how good they are. I have used a lot of DuraComm, Astron, Newmar and a few others that have been good performers.

I'm not -personally- convinced that the powerpole/rig-runner setups are a good investment. Power pole connectors are great if you are frequently changing radios around, but if you are going to install this stuff and not make frequent changes, it's a lot of money with no benefit. A simple fuse block will do what you need and save money.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
Antenna separation with the transmitter on one side of the house and the scanners on the other should be plenty.
Carefully look at the different coaxial cable options before making a choice. You can use online coax calculators to compare the losses between different types/lengths/frequencies.

For the power supply, I'd consider something in the 30 amp range. That'll give you plenty of juice to run the two scanners, plus the dual band transceiver, plus capacity to run the DMR radio if you want. Unlikely you'd ever be transmitting with both at the same time (unless one is on a trunked system). Even with two transceivers, you'd have plenty of room. If you ever decide to get an HF rig, 30 amps will cover it plus the other radios in RX mode just fine. I've never used PowerWerx power supplies, so not sure how good they are. I have used a lot of DuraComm, Astron, Newmar and a few others that have been good performers.

I'm not -personally- convinced that the powerpole/rig-runner setups are a good investment. Power pole connectors are great if you are frequently changing radios around, but if you are going to install this stuff and not make frequent changes, it's a lot of money with no benefit. A simple fuse block will do what you need and save money.
Yeah not 100 percent set on the rig runner may just go with a distribution block will definitely go with the power poles either way. I have looked into the Astron units as well as have used them in the commercial side for years never a problem just looked at the Powerwerx as it is already set up for power poles and has good reviews. I don’t do much on the ham side honestly I’m mainly doing this to get a good signal on the 800mhz system in the city as well as the new pending county system I would probably go with good back of set antennas on the sds radios if there was one that could pull in a signal from a tower about 15 miles away haha.

mrweather

Not so sure I'd call RG8X low loss...

Otherwise, as long as the scanner and transceiver antennas are spaced as far apart as possible you'll be okay.

slowmover

Anderson Power Poles (then also, RigRunner or POWERWERX Buss Bar) really great for the mobile installation in the Kenworth. As it’s true the investment in tools and supply isn’t cheap.

My other two installs (pickup & travel trailer) are mobile by default. So, APP plus other gear already at hand is out to work again.

Thus, work done at sons home or cars also APP-built.

Look around at ALL potential installations to re-coup the upfront cost.

(There’s always someone doesn’t like them for mechanical reasons. It does take a little extra to give them some ruggedness.

I use TESA Harness Tape to further secure the split-loom covering the wiring at the plug-ends. (Which increases cost again. So take a look at the wiring harnesses of your car and use them as reference: complete in itself, and resistant to distortions).

Agreed with the One & Done approach. But avoid cheap auto parts store stuff. Specify USCG-rated suppliers (like BLUE SEA, or for wire, ANCOR).

Mobile Install Bible

Very good discussion on wiring, etc, that’ll put one in the right frame of mind, mobile or otherwise.

KC3ECJ

Anderson Power Poles (then also, RigRunner or POWERWERX Buss Bar) really great for the mobile installation in the Kenworth. As it’s true the investment in tools and supply isn’t cheap.

My other two installs (pickup & travel trailer) are mobile by default. So, APP plus other gear already at hand is out to work again.

Thus, work done at sons home or cars also APP-built.

Look around at ALL potential installations to re-coup the upfront cost.

(There’s always someone doesn’t like them for mechanical reasons. It does take a little extra to give them some ruggedness.

I use TESA Harness Tape to further secure the split-loom covering the wiring at the plug-ends. (Which increases cost again. So take a look at the wiring harnesses of your car and use them as reference: complete in itself, and resistant to distortions).

Agreed with the One & Done approach. But avoid cheap auto parts store stuff. Specify USCG-rated suppliers (like BLUE SEA, or for wire, ANCOR).

Mobile Install Bible

Very good discussion on wiring, etc, that’ll put one in the right frame of mind, mobile or otherwise.

Negative fuse grounding? No no!

Status
Not open for further replies.