Sharing feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumnjim

This is not a arizona specific question, but I feel comfortable with the guys in this forum because this is where I usually post. So now that the apology is over, how would I broadcast my scanner over the internet so only a few people( mom, brother etc....) could hear it?

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I think Windows Media encoder has the ability to require a username and password to access a stream. It's also free and fairly easy to set up. If you're running a firewall and/or a router be aware you'll probably have to fiddle around with those too before anyone will be able to access your stream.

If bandwidth usage is the reason you want it to be private, another alternative is to host your feed on Gordon's excellent icecast server. That's what I use for my feed and it's been fantastic - he handles the bandwidth so that if the whole RR community suddenly decides to tune in to my feed my internet access won't slow to an absolute crawl. Hosting a feed on his server also allows people to listen with either Winamp, Mediaplayer, RealAudio or a flash based player that requires no installed media player at all. You also then won't have to worry about IP addresses changing or your ISP dinging you for hosting a server on a residential account. I highly recommend it. Click the link in my sig for details. We're always looking for addiitonal AZ feeds.

-AZ

ICP963

Feed Provider
This is not a arizona specific question, but I feel comfortable with the guys in this forum because this is where I usually post. So now that the apology is over, how would I broadcast my scanner over the internet so only a few people( mom, brother etc....) could hear it?
Two programs that have that ability, depending on which scanner you are running. ProScan at www.ProScan.org will stream several different Uniden scanners with or without publishing your address to the web. If you do not post the address then the listener would have to know what it is in order to get on your radio. There is a free client that you can have your family download so that they can listen and see what channels the scanner stops on. It works very well.

Win500 from www.StarrSoft.com is a program for the new GRE 500 & 600 scanners that has streaming as well as a free client for the listeners end. I also has the ability for the listener to control the scanner if the streamer allows it.

I have used both ProScan and Win500 and I am very impressed with both of them.

There is also a free program called BCTool for the Unidens that will have a server option soon (possibly at a small cost), check it out at www.bctool.org

keithmj

Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
My Idea

Hi..The way I would do it is simple..If you have your own website just make another page and put the player there so you'll be able to listen there. Then just give your family the web address and they can go there. If no one else is given the address then no one will ever know it is there..You can see what I mean by going to my website in my signature. The programs that you use are up to you to stream as there are so many different ways and other ideas were suggested..But it is easy to just add a webpage to your site. I use http://www.lunarpages.com for my web provider and have had no problems..As alway I am probably to late to help..Cheers..Keithmj

Status
Not open for further replies.