Should this antenna work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor8800

I have a uniden BCD325P2 scanner and I can hear CHP radio traffic talking but thats usually if i'm outside of the house. The antenna that I am thinking of buying is a Comet Original BNC-24 144/440 MHz, Dual-Band Superflex Handheld Antenna, BNC Connector. Should this antenna work even when i'm inside my house. Robot Check

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Depends on the construction of your home. If you have aluminum siding, plaster walls with metal lath underneath, foil backed insulation, etc. you may not be able to overcome that with this antenna. The building materials, if RF opaque, will block the signal. CHP, if you are talking about their low band radios, really requires a good antenna.

Bottom line is that it's hard to tell. If you are getting nothing with the antenna you have now inside the house, adding a slightly better antenna may not be enough. Ideally you'd want an externally mounted antenna.
Being that antenna you linked to is designed for VHF high band and UHF, it's not going to be an outstanding performer, but it likely will provide a slight improvement.

Trevor8800

Depends on the construction of your home. If you have aluminum siding, plaster walls with metal lath underneath, foil backed insulation, etc. you may not be able to overcome that with this antenna. The building materials, if RF opaque, will block the signal. CHP, if you are talking about their low band radios, really requires a good antenna.

Bottom line is that it's hard to tell. If you are getting nothing with the antenna you have now inside the house, adding a slightly better antenna may not be enough. Ideally you'd want an externally mounted antenna.
Being that antenna you linked to is designed for VHF high band and UHF, it's not going to be an outstanding performer, but it likely will provide a slight improvement.

What type of antenna would you recommend me getting for a UHF/VHF, high band or low band if it's for CHP?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Depends on budget, location, and if you can mount something outside.

Low band really requires an antenna specifically designed for low band. Trying to make do with a short antenna will usually result in poor performance, unless you are close enough to the transmitter.

VHF and UHF is pretty easy to do. A really good source would be The Antenna Farm The Antenna Farm, Your two way radio source. Give them a look, and I'm sure you'll get some more helpful information from others on this page. I don't do anything with low band VHF anymore, so I'm not sure what's out there, other than the commercial stuff.

teufler

Isn't Ca HP on low band? The Comet is a vhf/uhf range. The antenna will work better than the stock rubber duck, though a better choice would be an extending design..They will cover low band up to 900+.Scanner Antennas
This link covers Comet antennas that cover low band , also a a Diamond model that covers low bands. Both of these are extending designs. Unfortunately, low band is taller is better, though less convenient.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, CHP is in the 39 to 46 MHz range.
It's been a while since I've done much low band stuff, and I'm not up on what the good scanner antennas are that work on these frequencies. I think Trevor needs to hear from someone with some first hand experience with low band scanner antennas. My experience is on the commercial side and I'd personally put up a 1/4 wave dedicated antenna or a base loaded whip.

Status
Not open for further replies.