Signature

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcool101

Feed Provider
I'm trying to edit my signature and avatar but site wont let me. Something about 400 characters and BB code

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
People being allowed to use 400 spaces is why I turn off sigs and avatars, I'm really not that interested in you guys to read your life's story on every post :lol:

Now a fat chick forum, well I'll look at all I can :D

rcool101

Feed Provider
I'm not trying to put 400 Characters in . Just change 1 number in my current signature from a 5 to a 6. It wont let me do that. I keep getting an error

landonjensen

I'm not trying to put 400 Characters in . Just change 1 number in my current signature from a 5 to a 6. It wont let me do that. I keep getting an error

With your current sig, was it before the changeover date to the new rule? The rule use to be alot more, but the Admins cut it down to 400 in the last year or so, which may be why.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
But your signature line is way over 400 characters long (3,108 with all the code). And looking at the code you have stuff in there with no "target" for the some of that code. I don't know if you can whittle it down, but you are limited to 400 characters for just this reason.

The limit is in the edit procedure, so when you try and edit, it really is just a new signature, limited to 400 characters in the editor. Characters in the editor are actual characters you type or insert; for example, COLOR="RED" is 13 characters long (with the []'s) and /COLOR is 8 characters, so just making something red uses up 21 of the allotted 400.

rcool101

Feed Provider
With your current sig, was it before the changeover date to the new rule? The rule use to be alot more, but the Admins cut it down to 400 in the last year or so, which may be why.
I think maybe they did this in the last month or so because I just added a sig. about 6 weeks ago with a typo that I cant correct. But I didn't realise that using color was such a big deal

rcool101

Feed Provider
Sig

I also just became a premium subscriber after a long while because I have 5 programs and find no need to import anything. Evidently being a premium subscriber carries no weight here

btritch

what about the rest of us..

If there wasn't a set limit, Imagine how long people (not just you, Everyone) would have their signatures set to, Therefore there has to be a limit for premium and non premium subscribers, Otherwise with everyone's long colorful signatures, There would be no room for anything else such as the DB, Forums, WIKI, Etc., so set limits are a good thing..in most instances.. I think that's right, Maybe an admin will either back me up or correct me if I'm wrong to confirm but that sounds about right...

rcool101

Feed Provider
If there wasn't a set limit, Imagine how long people (not just you, Everyone) would have their signatures set to, Therefore there has to be a limit for premium and non premium subscribers, Otherwise with everyone's long colorful signatures, There would be no room for anything else such as the DB, Forums, WIKI, Etc., so set limits are a good thing..in most instances.. I think that's right, Maybe an admin will either back me up or correct me if I'm wrong to confirm but that sounds about right...
I agree. I don't need a conformation. A previous post said this has been in effect a year or so, when I just added this 6 weeks ago and been trying to correct a typo. New rules are rules

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Evidently being a premium subscriber carries no weight here
No, the subscription is for premium access to the database. It does not give you any more access to the forums than a normal member would get.

Not everyone cares to see a big, bold signature. Thankfully the board lets you turn them off.

rcool101

Feed Provider
Sig

OK....OK...OK Now tell me how this works!...... I went to edit my signature..... I used black and used the smallest font size and still get the same message about 400 characters...... OK Then I said the hell with it and hit the backspace and deleted my signature......... You guessed it I still get the same error message that says blah blah 400 characters to long. The box was blank. There wasn't so much as a period and I was still over the limit of 400. I hit preview....same thing...I hit save....same thing

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I agree. I don't need a conformation. A previous post said this has been in effect a year or so, when I just added this 6 weeks ago and been trying to correct a typo. New rules are rules
I think you meant "confrontation". :)

Actually the signature issue has been boiling for a several years. It was initially set to 200 characters in 2006 (see this post); about 6 or 7 weeks ago or so, the forum software was updated and I think that is something that has to be altered after the software is installed, so you may have just gotten your signature in while things were being set up. I am sure Lindsay took a couple of days to remember everything to set. I am not sure when it was updated to 400 characters, but in reality 400 characters ought to be enough to say what you want, provided you leave all the font and color changes out; remember, your signature is over 3,000 characters long as it stands right now.

As Wayne points out, premium membership has nothing to do with the forums.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
OK....OK...OK Now tell me how this works!...... I went to edit my signature..... I used black and used the smallest font size and still get the same message about 400 characters...... OK Then I said the hell with it and hit the backspace and deleted my signature......... You guessed it I still get the same error message that says blah blah 400 characters to long. The box was blank. There wasn't so much as a period and I was still over the limit of 400. I hit preview....same thing...I hit save....same thing
Blank indicates you are not making a change to the current one.
Suppose you PM me with what your want your signature to say (400 characters or less) and I will be glad to put it in your UserCP.

btritch

I don't intend to get in the middle of the arugment/confrontation/controversy but just to point out, My sig still says it has to be under 200 characters, Not 400..But that's enough.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I don't intend to get in the middle of the arugment/confrontation/controversy but just to point out, My sig still says it has to be under 200 characters, Not 400..But that's enough.
:lol:
Well mine is only 7 long, but then, it doesn't take much room to put my name.
:lol:

I haven't edited mine in so long, I have no idea what the limit is; but I won't violate it if I help out as offered above. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.