BCD436HP/BCD536HP: SIMPLEX DMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJMNIZ

A long time ago Uniden (Paul) confirmed that the BCD325P2 cannot reliably decode simplex DMR (portable to portable direct, no repeater).due to hardware limitations.

Anyone have experience soccessfully receiving simplex DMR with a BCD436HP?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Both the 325 and 436 receives simplex DMR just fine, I have used them extensively for that. The golf course I live on as well as the HOA maintenance department uses DMR simplex more often than they use the repeater.

What they cannot do is get CloseCall hits from DMR mobiles and portables as the TDMA technology does not lend itself to the way CloseCall works.

Australia4001

Premium Subscriber
I should clarify, if a frequency is known and entered into uniden scanner it works for the most part,
But running a search for a new simplex frequency encounters issues , from what I've experienced, it misses many transmissions

k4ays

I am a Ham radio operator and I have a hotspot for DMR setup on simplex on 439.500. When I am doing a close call search my BCD436HP picks up the simplex DMR audio fine. Also, if I search in that frequency range, the scanner also picks up the hotspot and the audio is fine.

Ubbe

The hotspot are sending out a continuos carrier, it sends on both slots. That will be catched by closecall. A pulsating signal, like a simplex transmission from a real DMR radio will not be picked up by closecall.

/Ubbe

k4ays

The hotspot are sending out a continuos carrier, it sends on both slots. That will be catched by closecall. A pulsating signal, like a simplex transmission from a real DMR radio will not be picked up by closecall.

/Ubbe
Just trying to figure this out. In Pi-Star I have time slot 1 disabled as well as in simplex mode and not Duplex Repeater mode.

Ubbe

You can disable slots but the hotspot will still transmit a carrier during that slot, making it a continous carrier. It cannot pulsate, it is not that advanced and are not even needed when working as a hotspot.

/Ubbe

racingfan360

A long time ago Uniden (Paul) confirmed that the BCD325P2 cannot reliably decode simplex DMR (portable to portable direct, no repeater).due to hardware limitations.
Anyone have experience soccessfully receiving simplex DMR with a BCD436HP?
On early firmware versions that included the DMR upgrade, simplex reception on the 436 was very patchy. I put it down to less than ideal sensitivity and good selectivity of the 436 vs comparative receivers. Since then Uniden have improved it a lot. I'd say it hits on simplex DMR about 90% of the time now. Make sure you have the latest firmware installed. FM mode is better than NFM mode, set digital threshold mode to auto, digital wait time to 100ms. Ignore old posts that suggest setting the threshold to a fixed value (this did work better for old firmware versions). As above scanning a DMR simplex channel is more reliable than searching for one.

JJMNIZ

On early firmware versions that included the DMR upgrade, simplex reception on the 436 was very patchy. I put it down to less than ideal sensitivity and good selectivity of the 436 vs comparative receivers. Since then Uniden have improved it a lot. I'd say it hits on simplex DMR about 90% of the time now. Make sure you have the latest firmware installed. FM mode is better than NFM mode, set digital threshold mode to auto, digital wait time to 100ms. Ignore old posts that suggest setting the threshold to a fixed value (this did work better for old firmware versions). As above scanning a DMR simplex channel is more reliable than searching for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.