Siren Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We received the improved firmware from the WiFi module vendor. And, while it is about 1000 times better than the previous version, it is still not acceptable. They have not given an ETA for the next improved version. Still stuck on hold as far as scheduling, so I cannot offer a delivery schedule at this time.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Yes, I know not having a delivery schedule is disappointing. However, had I provided such a schedule prior to receiving the latest version, it would have been wrong. The update I did provide last time (we should get updated wifi module firmware in about 30 days) was pretty accurate (I think it was 34 days actual). But, I could not have anticipated that the update was still not going to be acceptable. I will not assume such this time, either.

As to the 1000 times better, that was based on our being able to send a 3MB file 1000-2000 times before the dongle locked up, when the previous performance level was 1-2 times. There are a lot of variables at play, but the current firmware could still lockup within 10 minutes or so under this improved firmware. As I said above, better, but still not acceptable.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We are, of course, aware that the Siren App and Analyze functionality have not been released. We apologize for any inconvenience these unforeseeable delays have caused, and continue to work toward a solution. Thank you for your patience.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I passed a new version of scanner firmware and Wi-Fi dongle firmware to the app developer today for testing/continuing development. Too soon for results.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We were about to start beta testing today, but overnight got two more updates (one to the dongle, and one to the scanner firmware) that added record/playback functionality to the codebase. So, beta will likely start either tomorrow or Monday. If testing shows it to be stable, functional, usable, then we'll have an iPhone app to submit to the Apple App store in a week or so. From what I've heard, it takes up to 2 weeks for an app to be approved to go on-line once it is submitted to the store.

There is a big, huge "IF" in that paragraph, above, which adds a high level of uncertainty to the situation. But, at least the codebase (both in the scanner and app) have been substantially modified now to utilize the alternate access method we had to proceed with, so we should be just running into "normal" bugs, not the complete failure to perform situation we were in under the old methods.

The first rev of the app will still lack some eventual functionality, but core operation will be there.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We continue to work to overcome the issues we have been experiencing in getting the Wi-Fi adapter to properly operate. We are very sorry about how long this has taken, but getting this fixed is still our #1 priority, and we fully intend to release the app as soon as it can be ready. As our #1 priority is this issue, this has unavoidably also delayed the release of the analyze features, which will also be released at a future date.

We can understand the release of a new product, while this issue remains, seems to indicate that our attention and resources have been applied elsewhere. But, as others have pointed out, we are always working on multiple projects...and always have new items in development even as we continue to release updates to older products. Up to now, much of our time has been spent negotiating with and waiting for outside engineers...a task that does not significantly impact our development engineers' workload.

I know that providing a status report that does not include a specific date as to when this will all be resolved generally results in more negative than positive comments, which is why you've seen no status reports recently. However, we are unable to foresee at this time what the specific timeline will be. While each update we get is better, and is met with high hopes by our engineers, testers, and app developer, until it operates at an acceptable quality level we cannot guess as to the future development track.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Despite the lack of visible progress, we have been working to get a releasable app out. I had really hoped to have something we could shove into your stocking for the holidays, but it doesn't look like that will happen. Our estimate for release is to have a V1 iPhone/iPad app (with supporting firmware for the dongle and scanner) by the February time frame. It is possible that before that time I will be able to release an open beta version for you to try at your own risk, but that is not guaranteed. We'll then put a developer onto the Android/Amazon platform, but I do not yet have a development schedule put together for this (and since I use Android/Amazon and not Apple, I'm eager for this, as well).

Firmware-wise, our next focus will be to complete the analysis functionality for both the BCD436HP and BCD536HP. Some work has been done on this, but it will take much more to have a release. We expect to release this in the March time frame. As with the app, we might have something to try, sooner.

Following that, we will have continuing improvements and enhancements to the app-supporting and other codebase in the scanner that will provide remote access capability (without using a fixed IP address on the scanner...I believe you'll be able to remotely access it in V1 if you know how to put it on a fixed IP), full menu navigation, and more (like f/w and db updates w/o having to use Sentinel).

I actually have a firmware development roadmap that goes into 2016 for these models. Not all the deliverables on the roadmap have been approved for development, but I'm pushing to get as much as I can into these models. Despite the release of some other models, I expect these two to be our flagship handheld and mobile platforms for many years.

Upon release of the V1 app, I will also release the protocol/API so that 3rd party developers can also work on their own apps for direct access of the scanner w/o a PC.

We finally feel like we are not being held hostage by our vendor...we have dongle firmware that appears to be stable, functional, usable...I've run out of 'ables, but seems like there should be more. This has not be our greatest year.

That said, we at Uniden cannot nearly apologize enough for the delays in adding this functionality. We know that it has hurt our relationship with you and has eroded your trust in us. We thank you for your patience and understanding (and, believe me, we do understand those of you who have not been quite as patient and understanding).

Please enjoy your holidays. Look forward to a great new year.

Sincerely,

The Entire Uniden Development Team

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ORVe_Wbao&feature=youtu.be

Shows the engineering utility running on my PC. All audio and display data is coming over a Wi-Fi connection to the scanner (through our office intranet). If all goes well, iPhone app submission within 2 weeks (and, finally, all is going well).

(Note: Uploading as I type this, so if it doesn't play, come back later. Takes a while to upload and process even a 1 minute 1080p video.)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
http://youtu.be/A1GBlAhZxcU

Shows the app running on an iPhone. All audio and data are coming over a Wi-Fi connection to the scanner (through our office intranet). We are very close, now.

(Again with the uploading while I type this warning...)

Last edited by a moderator:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I am going to break a rule by double posting. Some look to this thread for official updates. Others look in the main forums. Since you cannot comment back on this thread, I'll post the link both places.

BCD536HPFirmwareUpdate < UnidenMan4 < TWiki

Oh, what is it? It is Phase 1 of our app-supporting firmware release. It includes a new version of Sentinel that will apply updates to both your scanner and Wi-Fi dongle, allowing them to be accessed over an internet link. It also includes a PC based remote-control utility and instructions for installing VLC to get the audio stream from the scanner.

Current plan is to incrementally improve the remote control support in 5 phases over the next few months. This gets us to being able to operate the scanner in scanning mode over a IP link. Future updates will add support for additional modes.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
email-itc-logo.png

Dear Uniden America Corp,

The status for the following app has changed to Waiting For Review.
App Name: Uniden Siren
App Version Number: 1.0.9

Status
Not open for further replies.