To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:
Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.
If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.
To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.
The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.
For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).
This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
If I program multiple sites into the G5 for a single site will the pager automatically switch between which one it can pick up best or does it wait until it drops signal from the first one it locks on to?
If programmed with multiple sites, the radio will find a site of sufficient signal quality and stay there until the quality drops and then it will look for something better.
I see mine switch once in a while between the two closest sites of my statewide system... occasionally (very rare), it switches to a more distant site in the county but for a very brief time.
The radio does it's best (pretty good in my opinion) to lock onto the best site but that can be affected by many things - one being which antenna you are using.
To have more positive control over the site you monitor, you can create multiple 'systems' which include only a single site.
I have the entire First system hmtjat covers the upper Eastern Shore of Maryland programmed and it seems to be doing well. Although I managed to turn off every department and can't seem to get any department turned back on.
I have the entire First system hmtjat covers the upper Eastern Shore of Maryland programmed and it seems to be doing well. Although I managed to turn off every department and can't seem to get any department turned back on.
I also live on the MD Eastern Shore and routinely listen to the Talbot system (site 6). Occasionally when I switch between listening to conventional vhf pager tones and the trimmed system I'll see it lock on to site 5, but this usually results in no audio unless there is a Talbot radio affiliated with that site causing the tgids that I'm interested in to be broadcast from there.
So most of the time the ability to program multiple sites works well enough, but you have to keep an eye on things.
Also, if you manage to get at times switched to another site that doesn't carry your talkgroups 100% of the time (i.e. the Talbot simulcast), the way things work between the pager and the FiRST system, it sounds like you really want/need a zone/knob, etc. that is "fixed" on only the primary site for your county - at least as an option.
I programmed a bunch of sites on the NJICS system for a road trip a few weeks ago and it did very well switch sites as I travelled along my route, Not sure if it went out of range before it switched to the next site, I do have the out of range alert setup but don’t remember hearing it.
Overall I would say it did great!
Sometimes after it is on for a while, my G4 will go "silent" like it's lost the signal. When I power off then on, I immediately start receiving. Not sure why. Maybe system switching to a different control channel frequency?
Sometimes after it is on for a while, my G4 will go "silent" like it's lost the signal. When I power off then on, I immediately start receiving. Not sure why. Maybe system switching to a different control channel frequency?
I’ve had no problem with my G5 switching sites on numerous systems while traveling up and down the east coast. SEGARRN, Palmetto, VIPER, MDFirst, NJICS, etc.
Sometimes after it is on for a while, my G4 will go "silent" like it's lost the signal. When I power off then on, I immediately start receiving. Not sure why. Maybe system switching to a different control channel frequency?
I thought I recall seeing something like this quite some time ago under certain conditions that I cannot recall at this point. Other than which system(s) I was monitoring at the time, the only other thing that has really changed (for me) is the firmware versions....
As with most products where firmware changes, each version seems to have it's own "quirks". Having said that, since the Phase 2 upgrade of my G5 and subsequent release/installation of the latest firmware, I've seen almost no issues and the audio is great.
Is your unit Phase 2 running the latest f/w?
There's probably nothing wrong with it but I'd also be curious to take a look at your profile.
I thought I recall seeing something like this quite some time ago under certain conditions that I cannot recall at this point. Other than which system(s) I was monitoring at the time, the only other thing that has really changed (for me) is the firmware versions....
As with most products where firmware changes, each version seems to have it's own "quirks". Having said that, since the Phase 2 upgrade of my G5 and subsequent release/installation of the latest firmware, I've seen almost no issues and the audio is great.
Is your unit Phase 2 running the latest f/w?
There's probably nothing wrong with it but I'd also be curious to take a look at your profile.
Hum, please forgive my ignorance. I have exported the profile but not sure how to attach it here, only certain file types allowed from what I can tell.
Hum, please forgive my ignorance. I have exported the profile but not sure how to attach it here, only certain file types allowed from what I can tell.