• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

SKIP Problems in Noise Abatement.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
That would eliminate 3/4 of the problem right there and tones would fix the other quarter.

But it’s not 1956 and we aren’t starting from scratch.

CB is the forty channel wonder. 120 if SSB. More yet with Freeband.

Best results are?

GROL

But it’s not 1956 and we aren’t starting from scratch.

CB is the forty channel wonder. 120 if SSB. More yet with Freeband.

Best results are?

More like 80 channels with SSB when operating LSB or USB. AM or FM on the same frequency is unusable to anyone else within range. 120 channels is a marketing lie. It's sort of like FRS radios with 14 channels suddenly get 532 channels because they can use 1 of 38 CTCSS tones per frequency. If FRS radios on the same frequency use different CTCSS tones and they are close to each other, they are still going to interfere with each other even if the squelch doesn't open if they are transmitting at the same time, whoever is receiving the intended transmission may get blocked by the other transmission. If by saying Freeband you mean operating on frequencies above or below the normal CB 40 channels then such transmission is unauthorized operation. Sure people usually don't get caught, but if they do the penalties are quite steep. You can Google and find reports of fines for freeband and power amplifiers. Violators usually get a warning, but then they are foolish enough to continue after a target is on their back. Base fines start at $10,000. I sure wouldn't want to risk it just to talk on a radio.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Radio Rig w/external filters

Mine, as an example of attempts to control noise. (See posts just before & after, also).

Quantity of RX in Skip is a game to control, but Quality of reception sure makes a difference in sorting what’s what in my experience.

This is with a conventional AM/SSB Citizen Band radio typical of the past thirty years.

Noise Control Pays.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
“ . . If by saying Freeband you mean operating on frequencies above or below the normal CB 40 channels then such transmission is unauthorized operation. Sure people usually don't get caught, but if they do the penalties are quite steep. You can Google and find reports of fines for freeband and power amplifiers. Violators usually get a warning, but then they are foolish enough to continue after a target is on their back. Base fines start at $10,000.

I sure wouldn't want to risk it just to talk on a radio.”

Using bureaucracy to circumvent the Bill of Rights is nothing new after FDR. Nor legal.

In a couple of days I’ll be just over a thousand miles from home. And I execute plans to get back. Radio is part of that planning. Speaking with fellow citizens to solve problems occurring on the roads is part of that. Inalienable.

Your tech points are appreciated. Your experience in solving Skip interference problems while mobile to a best resolution is what’s being solicited in this thread.

I realize that very few readers not truck drivers have contemporary experience in depending upon CB to avoid minor & major mishaps. More than just delays.

80AC497D-33CA-407C-9B52-49D234101272.jpeg

These aren’t accidents. They are the result of piss-poor driving skill (contempt for the conditions of weather and traffic-spacing). The season isn’t the determinant, it only worsens the inevitable.

Driving a big truck is sobering no matter how good you were previously. “Steady as she goes”, means FAR more than travel speed.

Skip Interference is like a season of icy roads covering up what may be last moment warnings.

Your Jesus-phone ain’t gonna answer. Only your fellows at the scene and in that moment.

GPS and/or Net service goes down, same thing again.

The Federal Reserve croaks and your need to supply your family may require you to travel far afield: need fuel, service, directions, etc. Buy, sell, trade.

Skip
is just ol’ Murphy by another name. Keep him on a really short leash (is my impetus for this thread).

Last edited:

GROL

“ . . If by saying Freeband you mean operating on frequencies above or below the normal CB 40 channels then such transmission is unauthorized operation. Sure people usually don't get caught, but if they do the penalties are quite steep. You can Google and find reports of fines for freeband and power amplifiers. Violators usually get a warning, but then they are foolish enough to continue after a target is on their back. Base fines start at $10,000.

I sure wouldn't want to risk it just to talk on a radio.”

Using bureaucracy to circumvent the Bill of Rights is nothing new after FDR. Nor legal.

In a couple of days I’ll be just over a thousand miles from home. And I execute plans to get back. Radio is part of that planning. Speaking with fellow citizens to solve problems occurring on the roads is part of that. Inalienable.

Your tech points are appreciated. Your experience in solving Skip interference problems while mobile is what’s being solicited in this thread.

Regardless of political opinion, the risk still exists. The roadways we travel are far more regulated than the airwaves we talk on. Current governmental control is indeed excessive, but being a limited resource some form of regulation is necessary to the free utilization of the limited RF spectrum. Freebanding encroaches into the utilization of the RF spectrum of other users. Some sort of regulation is unfortunately necessary being that many will encroach upon the rights of others for their own purposes without any regard for the needs of others. This is why the US constitution was ratified. Wisdom of the time knew men would naturally disregard the rights of others in a free society for their own benefit. The primary purpose of the Bill of Rights is to insure everyone has equal opportunity, not equal outcome. Freebanding only insures the opportunity to waste a resource for ones personal gain.

The logic of radio spectrum should be free for all to use anywhere they wish would create an environment that would disable cell phone infrastructure and public safety communications infrastructure, which in turn would severly impact safety for all, just as unregulated highway use would cause severe safety issues.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Regardless of political opinion, the risk still exists. The roadways we travel are far more regulated than the airwaves we talk on. Current governmental control is indeed excessive, but being a limited resource some form of regulation is necessary to the free utilization of the limited RF spectrum. Freebanding encroaches into the utilization of the RF spectrum of other users. Some sort of regulation is unfortunately necessary being that many will encroach upon the rights of others for their own purposes without any regard for the needs of others. This is why the US constitution was ratified. Wisdom of the time knew men would naturally disregard the rights of others in a free society for their own benefit. The primary purpose of the Bill of Rights is to insure everyone has equal opportunity, not equal outcome. Freebanding only insures the opportunity to waste a resource for ones personal gain.

No argument here on merit. Except that the Bill of Rights has zero to do with opportunity compared to its prohibition against governmental encroachment.

Only that circumstances may render the foundation invalid was this brought up.

Besides, it’s not the point of the thread. Mentioned in passing as it is a phenomenon of CB of which newcomers should be aware.

“Regulation of the roads” has become a joke. Won't go into that either.

CB is the chance to stay abreast of changing circumstance.

Nothing else comes close (WAZE, etc, is for the herd who’ll too late realize it wasn’t NEARLY enough).

Skip makes monitoring CB difficult over a long day. What have you done to temper it’s effects?

Last edited:

GROL

No argument here on merit. Except that the Bill of Rights has zero to do with opportunity compared to its prohibition against governmental encroachment.

Only that circumstances may render the foundation invalid was this brought up.

Besides, it’s not the point of the thread. Mentioned in passing as it is a phenomenon of CB of which newcomers should be aware.

“Regulation of the roads” has become a joke. Won't go into that either.

CB is the chance to stay abreast of changing circumstance.

Nothing else comes close (WAZE, etc, is for the herd who’ll too late realize it wasn’t NEARLY enough).

Skip makes monitoring CB difficult over a long day. What have you done to temper it’s effects?

The Bill of Rights has everything to do with opportunity. Ones opportunities are limited by others that will encroach on their opportunities. The Bill of Rights itself is a regulation on government, it doesn't neuter government. The Bill of Rights is worthless without men agreeing on certain regulations to insure the equal rights of all, otherwise the Bill of Rights are just words without a foundation to insure rights.
Otherwise individuals will just do whatever they want to and claim their rights were violated without any regard they are violating the rights of others.

Regulation of roadways is essential to safety. But just because it isn't done 100 % correctly does not negate the need. There are certainly issues with roadway regulation, but roadways are safer due to regulation.

The natural phenomenon of radio signals reflecting off the atmosphere cannot be mitigated. If everyone on CB 19 and adjacent channels operated legal power and modulation there would be less skip interfernce. It would still exist and at times still be strong, but would be less of it. This was the reason for limiting power on CB. At the time when it was conceived for business and personal local use, it was known it would interfere if allowed power for long range communications. The suggestion made of adopting GMRS or something else would mitigate skip nearly 100%, except for the rare occasion of tropospheric ducting. Monitoring CB, it is obvious the major problem is not skip propagation, it is over modulated over powered transmissions splattering several channels with users talking allover each other and incesently swearing. I have from time to time tuned my mobile HF to channel 19 during traffic situations, only to be reminded how horrible it really is and uselss. My HF radios are not freebanded. They can receive all of HF, but I choose to leave the transmit band limits in place. It keeps me from accidentally transmitting where I should not. Many years ago when driving long trips for my job, CB was useful in avoiding road hazards. Used it a few times to avoid wrecks and bad weather related road conditions. That was back in the 80's. Now it doesn't help at all.

Last edited:

GROL

All that . . . and zip, nada, about how to deal with Skip.

Did you earn some points somewhere?
A bit of cash for that meaningless diversion?

At least your final sentence tells the story: prejudiced; lacks relevant experience.

Troll

Reducing gain will often not help, nore will tighter squelch. Electrical noise mitigation will make the skip clearer. It is more than probable and happens quite often that a skip signal hundreds of miles away can be stronger than a line of sight signal a mile away. It may be possible to reduce gain and tighten squelch enough to only receive something a couple thousand feet away without hearing any skip, but not always.

Two operators within a mile or two of each other may not be able to communicate, but each of them able to talk to the same operator hundreds or thousands of miles away.

There is much more interference on CB from splatter across multiple channels and talking over others than skip itself. CB has become a useless communication method due to irresponsible operation. Mainly overmodulation, excess power and taking over the channel.

If skip is what you are so concerned about, you will have to move to higher frequencies to avoid it. Basically above the VHF aviation band.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Reducing gain will often not help, nore will tighter squelch. Electrical noise mitigation will make the skip clearer. It is more than probable and happens quite often that a skip signal hundreds of miles away can be stronger than a line of sight signal a mile away. It may be possible to reduce gain and tighten squelch enough to only receive something a couple thousand feet away without hearing any skip, but not always.

Two operators within a mile or two of each other may not be able to communicate, but each of them able to talk to the same operator hundreds or thousands of miles away.

There is much more interference on CB from splatter across multiple channels and talking over others than skip itself. CB has become a useless communication method due to irresponsible operation. Mainly overmodulation, excess power and taking over the channel.

If skip is what you are so concerned about, you will have to move to higher frequencies to avoid it. Basically above the VHF aviation band.

Thank you for the picture. Nicely done.
New guys, take notes.

Skip discourages everyone on the road. I hear fewer drivers around me, of late. Another reason this thread was started.

Clarity
is the avenue I'm following and to find the mix of radio adjustments that are tuned (day, time of day, etc) to try to retain not simply local, but to the greatest extent possible that most difficult signal: Weak & Receding.

GROL

Seriously, if I were a truck driver I would want to push communications to GMRS, or using the power of the industry to lobby the FCC and congress to carve out a service for the industry to have a free use common frequency band. Yeah spectrum is limited, but it wouldn't take much space and 40 channels is overkill. You would only need a few if it were used wisely. A primary channel and a few to move off to once
contact was made on the primary. With narrow channel spacing made possible by modern electronics you could get about 15 channels out of a bit less than 1/4 megahertz band.
The next hurdle though would be getting manufacturers to make affordable radios for it, which is why GMRS may be the easiest route. GMRS mobiles cost no more than some of the expensive CB radios. Have we not learned during covid how vital trucking is to the supply chains? And little is understood by the current administration how diesel fuel prices are affecting inflation. It's as though they get up each morning wondering what they can do today to make things worse.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Seriously, if I were a truck driver I would want to push communications to GMRS, or using the power of the industry to lobby the FCC and congress to carve out a service for the industry to have a free use common frequency band. Yeah spectrum is limited, but it wouldn't take much space and 40 channels is overkill. You would only need a few if it were used wisely. A primary channel and a few to move off to once
contact was made on the primary. With narrow channel spacing made possible by modern electronics you could get about 15 channels out of a bit less than 1/4 megahertz band.
The next hurdle though would be getting manufacturers to make affordable radios for it, which is why GMRS may be the easiest route. GMRS mobiles cost no more than some of the expensive CB radios. Have we not learned during covid how vital trucking is to the supply chains? And little is understood by the current administration how diesel fuel prices are affecting inflation. It's as though they get up each morning wondering what they can do today to make things worse.

Radio is pretty much up to the individual truck driver outside of some specialties, and of fleets where men work trucks in groups. Two-way business radio edges in, slightly.

CB is where we are, and it’s shared with all others just as are the roads themselves. This is the important fact of it. For a few miles around we can — potentially — get a picture of what’s happening may affect us. The role of AM-19. The original crowd-sourcing.

Had we a decent society then cars & homes would be wired for it from the beginning. As we don’t, the burden is on him who sees it’s value.

The Few are those to whom I address my efforts. The ones that want above-average performance. Tech solutions about different service make sense, but don’t address the dilemma of Joe Sixpack out on the road far from home. He’s one of The Few. I hope he’s established a base station with which the family cars can remain in contact (tested range). His boys should learn a little something about radio comms just as they learn about fire-starting & knot-tying.

The a-wipes playing the kazoo on AM-19 aren’t any different than forum trolls diverting topics; I’ll bet many of them are the same. The concerted effort to further divide men is a paying gig. Any topic, be it radio, guns, politics or other where men wonder aloud about fulfilling their duties as men, husband and fathers.

I’m parked off the Interstate this morning near a large town. Waiting for my HOS clock to re-start. Sun above the horizon I’m seeing 3-db background static with RF Gain maxed and Squelch off. Not bad as a beginning. (And, close to an hour past dawn as I finish this edit, it’s starting to get really noisy).

Noted yesterday once loaded and leaving that my antenna/coax picks up a little truck-related “noise”. Minor, but needs to be addressed again despite two filters (feedpoint & at transceiver). In that I return again and again to this:

Mobile Install Bible

Mobile Radio isn’t easy, yet the benefits extend beyond problem-solving road difficulties. Why it’s a target. Leave users dissuaded & dispirited. That’s the Enemy’s game. We see it in every venue once we learn to look for it.

2D68624C-80E2-48AF-99F3-7A15C222117B.jpeg

Last edited:

jhooten

Again, those running golden screwdrivered splatter boxes at excessive power are the major cause of the increased noise floor regardless of whether enhanced propagation conditions exist or not. Nothing you do to your receive setup is going to mitigate the effects of illegal rouge operators. The single most effective way to reduce the noise floor would be for everyone to operate a quality, properly aligned transmitter at a legal power level.

You can have the best receiver it is possible for mankind to manufacture with a perfect installation, the near local S5 signal is still going to covered up by the S9+20 signal bouncing in from ten states away transmitted by the guy with the 10 pill foot warmer.

GROL

That would eliminate 3/4 of the problem right there and tones would fix the other quarter.
Again, those running golden screwdrivered splatter boxes at excessive power are the major cause of the increased noise floor regardless of whether enhanced propagation conditions exist or not. Nothing you do to your receive setup is going to mitigate the effects of illegal rouge operators. The single most effective way to reduce the noise floor would be for everyone to operate a quality, properly aligned transmitter at a legal power level.

You can have the best receiver it is possible for mankind to manufacture with a perfect installation, the near local S5 signal is still going to covered up by the S9+20 signal bouncing in from ten states away transmitted by the guy with the 10 pill foot warmer.
Being that it is necessary for mobile operations to use a vertical antenna, makes any HF radio very vulnerable to noise from all sorts of electromagnetic sources. Sometimes it is quite a challenge to overcome it. Many times there is nothing you can do. Mobile amateur radio deals with this daily. Natural and man made. Power transmission lines, traffic signal devices, other vehicles and anything with lights or electric motors, and the atmosphere. Anytime in recent years that I have attempted to listen in for traffic on CB 19, it was either useless due to all the impolite and improper operation or too exhausting to listen so I couldn't listen more than a couple minutes. I am used to listening to varying degrees of noise and heavy traffic on HF, but CB beats all of it. I can't imagine why anyone would want to stick with it. Years ago before entering into amateur radio I used CB in the car when on long business trips. It worked fine back then. Most people were still courteous and only a few would overmodulate or hog the channel with their space heaters. And what the heck is the purpose of a roger beep!?

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Radio ON from 0730 to 1800 today. Just over 500-miles.

AM-19 not irritating with this better radio set-up. (Previously trapped with backup radio plus built-in joke of an antenna and cigar lighter power). By an hour past dawn had SQ & RF-G dialed-in at reducing the bleeding edges where later changes weren’t helpful.

Granted, one-day isn’t really a test. And I was out west of the Mississippi where traffic volume is much easier to deal with, unlike farther east where problems are almost all-day long.

That said, I found that the layers of voices rendered clearly (as that was happening) didn’t produce the wall of noise a typical CB reproduces. Not fatiguing.

The few heads-up required by road conditions got thru easily.

The early dawn and post-sunset radio traffic was all locals. Familiar, and welcome

Most of the day wasn’t bad . . . until from 1600 to 1730 when all the Bidenistas got home to crank their splatter boxes.

The last couple of weeks using a rig representative of what the VAST majority believe IS Citizen Band was a lousy experience. (As described above by @GROL). The step up in performance renders that experience obsolete. Doesn’t any longer apply.

1). Radio gear matters. DSP most highly.
2). Attention to installation details matters greatly. Cut the systems noise.

— This is closely the rig I was running last year in a different brand of truck. But Skip wasn’t nearly the problem. The three (3) filters and DSP audio aren’t cheap . . but the overall radio system expense pays for itself 2-3X annually in avoiding income losses (past safe operation).

Reports on the brand new ANYTONE NT5555-V2 version are excellent, (integrated DSP, a five position NRC), substantially cutting the cost to match what I have.

408E7ECF-815D-4D8A-B2D6-3B6F05A7246E.jpeg

Plenty more detail in the NEW STRYKER 955 thread on this and others released last year.

Not needing separate DSP device and amp — alone — reduces cost by $300+

This is a $250 radio.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Monitor for Key Words

Over a long day one listens for key words and phrases to wake-up active listening. This differentiates my experience from yours (pro driver vs others) as it’s old, old habit for me. I’m relaxed into it. Not bothered.

In general, one may “think” that to be able to just make out words during Skip is adequate. It is not.

That the radio system makes obvious what is said is one thing, it is quite another to have heard how it is being said.

Words delivered clearly can change the impression left. Closer to intention.

This is past not having to fill in gaps of missing words which strains the listener.

When it comes to Skip the content of RX is one thing (importance), my ability to hear several speakers at once and clearly removes the fatiguing aspects as the words are otherwise mish-mash of sounds. Cacophony.

When local comms gets thru (may not be on top, so to write), it is legible (audible). It can be made out such that I can ask any needed clarification.

DSP changes the game. Additional filters in a mobile system helps to remove noises clinging to words acting as barnacles.

Audio quality is huge.
Think Quality, not Quantity.

External speaker placement is a key part of a plan. Words lost in the vehicle interior aggravate full understanding. One questions what he’s not quite heard.

Lowered volume levels also promote understanding.

The GALAXY 959 has a three-position Tone switch which works well in clarifying high to low volume levels.

The GNF (Galaxy Noise Filter) cleans up Sideband with DSP use remarkably well during Skip.

Older radios aren’t out of the game as listening to them can be easier.
A large S-Meter is useful throughout the day.

See also the recent thread on adding an internal DSP circuit kit.

9E009CD7-5F16-44E6-A260-522292AC6DD2.jpeg

Last edited:

VA3WEX

Premium Subscriber
The discourtesy of screwing up AM-19. The understood Truckers Channel.

Sorry to hear that people are not leaving 19-AM alone. Skipshooters like me are just doing a hobby; 19-AM is there for people who are doing a job--big difference. I'm loving my new CB skipshooting hobby, but I do confine myself to 37/38/39 sideband.

You've mentioned several times before that CB can give you a heads-up on traffic problems and allows you to avoid collisions like the photo you posted. I was out playing skip in the parking lot when I saw two fire trucks and a police car pull into the parking lot, so something was going on. Inspired by your posts, I flipped to 19 AM and let people know what I saw and where I saw it, and that they might want to reroute to avoid that intersection if they are headed that way. If it were not for you, it would simply have never crossed my mind to do that. Who knows, it may have helped someone.

And thank you for the tips on improving reception and the link to KØBG.COM. On your recommendations, I just bought a West Mountain Radio CLRSPKR. Hasn't come in yet; I'll post my experience when it does, though. At the moment, I'm pretty happy with the clarity of the President McKinley already; it's much better than my Yaesu FT-819 ham radio. So I'm really buying the CLRSPKR for the Yaesu, but also want to see what it does to the McKinley.

Recall that during the height of the CV-19 hoax that no one published any articles on how to buy, sell, or trade using radio to conduct negotiations in fear of contagion.

Interesting--and good point; a missed opportunity. Ham radio is awash with nets, but I have yet to hear anything similar on CB. Not saying it does not exist, just that I haven't heard it. A local CB net (and not on 19 AM!) would be useful to share info on practical things in a grid-down or social disruption situation: things like local weather, status of utilities, which gas stations have fuel, as well as more general topics like backup power options, gardening and food preservation, etc. Or, heck, a study group reviewing 19th century Papal encyclicals. CB is a tool admirably suited to local community connections at a time of social disruptions. It is far more accessible than ham radio (no tests, less expensive equipment).

rescuecomm

There is no interest now nor has there been at US government levels to create any citizens radio spectrum that doesn't go through a cash register somewhere. The existing spectrum excepting MURS has existed for 40 years. As Slowmover says, it is what we have and we must make the best use of it. The Anytone looks cool and I may make it my next radio purchase.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
There is no interest now nor has there been at US government levels to create any citizens radio spectrum that doesn't go through a cash register somewhere. The existing spectrum excepting MURS has existed for 40 years. As Slowmover says, it is what we have and we must make the best use of it. The Anytone looks cool and I may make it my next radio purchase.

It’s my belief that what one hears today will be replaced by those in need using it as intended

Agree or disagree, consider what you’d want for performance now while gear & supply are readily available. CB is dirt cheap in

Comms among a dedicated group are one thing. Being able to speak with those around you are another.

Clearly heard while being well-spoken gets responses. Goes right past problems associated with one’s appearance. All are looking to problem-solve.

Coming out of a major city yesterday had a heads-up about a jackknifed tractor-trailer closing the Interstate. Then passed electronic billboard saying same. Atlas confirmed the diversionary route suggested.

Despite the radios in use I found myself almost alone going past the six-mile backup off to the east.

The stress of being trapped with others is greater than using a US or State highway to go around. Stop & Go in a 78k tractor-trailer is work.

But beats the worry of being hit by maroons trying to drive off the shoulder to a frontage road (illegal), or making a U-turn across the median (illegal), or trying to hop-scotch lane-changing in dense, slow traffic (illegal).

Take these traffic problems as illustrative of other problems. Maybe more serious.

You have with you your family . . and now are in a disabled vehicle due to another’s actions. That’s no accident. Dark? Bad weather? Bad area?

There’s a great deal more which goes into a successful trip. Plans made ahead of time. Categories and details pertaining. CB is one where prior tested use can be of enormous leverage in the moment.

Skip
isn’t a barrier, but it can be a helluva curtain drawn against the surrounding scene. Know the ropes.

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
Sorry to hear that people are not leaving 19-AM alone. Skipshooters like me are just doing a hobby; 19-AM is there for people who are doing a job--big difference. I'm loving my new CB skipshooting hobby, but I do confine myself to 37/38/39 sideband.

You've mentioned several times before that CB can give you a heads-up on traffic problems and allows you to avoid collisions like the photo you posted. I was out playing skip in the parking lot when I saw two fire trucks and a police car pull into the parking lot, so something was going on. Inspired by your posts, I flipped to 19 AM and let people know what I saw and where I saw it, and that they might want to reroute to avoid that intersection if they are headed that way. If it were not for you, it would simply have never crossed my mind to do that. Who knows, it may have helped someone.

And thank you for the tips on improving reception and the link to KØBG.COM. On your recommendations, I just bought a West Mountain Radio CLRSPKR. Hasn't come in yet; I'll post my experience when it does, though. At the moment, I'm pretty happy with the clarity of the President McKinley already; it's much better than my Yaesu FT-819 ham radio. So I'm really buying the CLRSPKR for the Yaesu, but also want to see what it does to the McKinley.

Interesting--and good point; a missed opportunity. Ham radio is awash with nets, but I have yet to hear anything similar on CB. Not saying it does not exist, just that I haven't heard it. A local CB net (and not on 19 AM!) would be useful to share info on practical things in a grid-down or social disruption situation: things like local weather, status of utilities, which gas stations have fuel, as well as more general topics like backup power options, gardening and food preservation, etc. Or, heck, a study group reviewing 19th century Papal encyclicals. CB is a tool admirably suited to local community connections at a time of social disruptions. It is far more accessible than ham radio (no tests, less expensive equipment).

Sounds like you now see the pleasure of joint problem solving.

In spirit you will meet with those like you. Cousins and brothers whom you hadn’t met.

It ain’t all roses & chocolates, Opposition is found everywhere. But you’ll hear yourself often enough thru the actions (speech) of others that the truth of Citizen Band becomes obvious.

The W-M Radio CLRspkr is the best purchase I’ve ever made. DSP is the biggest change to CB since the introduction of 40-channels.

— A focus on the quality of audio means much more than just the increased capture (quantity). Subtleties of the voice change some RX as previously understood.

Clarity in the daylight of heavy Skip separates voices from the hash. It’s no longer a crushing wall of almost undifferentiated noise.

The “digital” radios (McKinley or Lincoln, for example) are much easier to which to listen all day with the CLRspkr.

Its use is a guide to other noise sources.

— Speaker location I can’t emphasize enough is almost as important. DSP or not, place speaker above and behind left shoulder. Skip is thoroughly difficult to render intelligible over a long day. Shows up ALL radio rig weaknesses. Close to the ear which feeds the intuitive side of the mind really works.

In my pickup the only location substitute is of a speaker type (KENWOOD KES-5 Public Service; Mil-Spec) where it can be fed with DSP-modified audio and driven to very high levels of sound. (Not what most passengers would today accept).

2FFB4802-3E7E-4DF1-8347-DC73FA82C710.jpeg

“Adults” may need to get adjusted to the Wild West of CB as it is today. Change will come with savvy operators undercutting the maroons on a moral level. All ears aboard may suggest tactics.

— I yesterday requested of a few that they move their DX’ng to anything except AM-19. Heard agreement from a couple. I was in snow & ice with high, gusting winds.

Here’s a quote from a truck driver forum by a wise business owner re “Hard Drive”, a tech who blanks 19 daily with an ICOM 7300 & 10kw amp:

“His actions speak to his credibility he has damaged by these on the air stunts.

One day someone is going to need to communicate with someone else and he will interfere with that, which will piss those someones off to the point of tracking him down and putting a stop to the interference by getting really physical.

I've seen this before long time ago in a society that we were actually a lot more civilized to each other and reading some comments in another forum about his childish crap, it may be sooner than later.”

Some are paid to interfere, IMO.
On-line & On-air. Topics across the range of where men find that their duty lays.

What’s a problem today won’t be so tomorrow is my belief. A good radio system is worth the small trouble in this line of topics (speaking with other men). The same ones who incentivize Twitter, et. al., to suspend accounts also act across the rest of the board to disrupt and to silence non-approved (free) speech.

The value of Skip shouldn’t be overlooked as the performance-improvement spur. Worthy adversary.

Last edited:

slowmover

Temporarily Banned
Timeout for bad behavior
On a lighter note: the CB is where — in this lifetime — I have heard some of the funniest things I’ve ever encountered.

That’s also of its nature.

Own the means.

Not all driving is a job. When it is, a window may open that will also shortly close, the truck driver incentive.
7F3EFFEE-EFB4-4340-B022-41FA0EE392E8.jpeg

In a car, it’s of a wider range of possibilities.
Mobile CB will be whats its users make it.

Hearing Skip from AM-19 across the nation (natural occurrence; not DX turds) is weathervane.

Last edited: