SKY WARN SYSTEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Leavenworth City Ks has a Sky Warn alert operation for Sever Weather. Why are the operators of this
Sky Warn system aloud to use the system to talk to each other on the air waves & talk about every thing & any thing ( B.S) ? is this program system not JUST Sever Weather operations ONLY ?

SCPD

QRT
Sky Warn

Ok, that explains it. I did not realize these were HAM'S. Thanks for explaining it, my mistake.

teufler

As a HaM, several "emergency" frequencies are normal ops and the chit chat bugs me too. The fact is that the Ham stuff is not commercial and it does fail so chit chatting when bad weather is not happening is a way of finding out if their systems are up and running. Several of the Skywarn systems are tone coded alert. Meaning that you will monitor nothing unless Skywarn has actually commenced. Possibly the Leavenworth repeaters function that way. If not, you can program your scanner for FIPS codes and the weather channel is just scanned by unless there is a tone out. There are several ways that the weather frequencies can by muted in normal weather times.

Status
Not open for further replies.