Skywarn Classes Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello All,
I've been wanting to take a Skywarn class. however, due to work schedule, I wont be able to attend any of the classes around here. Is there a way to do this online

n5ims

I don't believe that there are any online Skywarn classes. I suspect that this is due to how many of the photos used in the class are licensed to the NWS. They are from spotters that have a business of getting and selling storm photos and license them to the NWS at little or no charge for their use in the spotter classes, but not for publication or broadcast. Posting them on the web (even for a class) would, in effect, be publishing the photos. This info is based on an answer to the question "Is your presentation available on-line for later review and study?" that was asked during one of the classes I attended. That was a few years ago so they may have changed.

Last edited:

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
There are a few offices that do offer them them online but they are very limited and around here it is normally once the session schedule has been completed as they want people to attend in person rather than do them online. Once they are available online they aren't offered very long. I may be wrong but, if I remember correctly if you do take it online you don't get the credit of actually taking it and being registered as a spotter with NWS.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
I think some do and some don't. It may just depend on how you take it and who is offering it. I just remember some saying they didn't get credit for taking it online. Like the link that W9BU posted it says "If you check the box, you may be able to register with the NWS after passing the course. Your local NWS Warning Coordination Meteorologist will determine if there is additional training on other weather hazards, such as heavy snow, ice storms, floods, etc., and their reporting that must be completed through local spotter training." So that means even though you take it online you may still have to attend a class in order to get credit and be registered with NWS.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Not all NWS offices "register" Skywarn spotters. The Indianapolis NWS office used to issue ID cards and keep track of who had been issued them. I think they stopped doing that about 10 years ago. They still have a sign-in sheet at each session and I assume they keep those sheets so they know who attended.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
If you're not registered with NWS you can't get access to the espotter page. You can only get access if you have completed the Skywarn training. Not all offices have this though so it may not be applicable to everyone.

National Weather Service - eSpotter

KA9QPN

We were told by folks from NWS Romeoville that espotter was being deactivated. No timetable was given, but I was left with the impression that it was imminent.

MesquiteWx

Premium Subscriber
That office may have been dropping it as I don't see that office listed. There is no word of my office dropping it but I doubt they would because I am in a high volume area. There is a list of all the eSpotter Weather Forecast Offices at the bottom of that page.

Drew316

2492, I don't know where your from but check with your NWS office. I've taken the course online before...It was like a conference call and a web meeting...we were all on the phone call and we got to see the whole presentation and everything and then they sent the certificates afterwards. Just go to the webpage of your NWS office and check out the skywarn schedule, if there's nothing there then either e-mail them or call them and ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.